Thread: Removing a lock cylinder from the pillion seat latch

Removing a lock cylinder from the pillion seat latch

I am picking up a new latch mechanism for the 1100 since the ears that hold mine to the rear fender are broken (glue doesn't work). A new one is only $38 from MAX. According to the fiche and a conversation with MAX, the mechanism doesn't come with a lock cylinder. That is sold separately and comes with all the tumblers to configure it to your key. So I figured that if a new cylinder can be installed in the new one, the OLD cylinder ought to come OUT of the old one and I can use it.

Has anyone removed one of these?
    Nik #140220 - '95 R1100RSL | '88 K75C | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Maine Airhead A/M
    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Easy Peasy

Once you get the new mechanism it will be very obvious how the change over takes place. You will be able to remove the old tumbler and lock mechanism from the old unit by removing a couple screws opening the mechanism package. Remove your lock and install it in the new part and you are good to go. Very easy.
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS

Quote Originally Posted by Kaltzg View Post
    Once you get the new mechanism it will be very obvious how the change over takes place. You will be able to remove the old tumbler and lock mechanism from the old unit by removing a couple screws opening the mechanism package. Remove your lock and install it in the new part and you are good to go. Very easy.
    Very cool! Thanks!
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Maine Airhead A/M

#1. Big #1 Make sure that you have your key in the lock. You do not want to know what happens if you get the lock out with out it in there.

Once you get it apart there is a little tab in the back of the lock that you will see. Take a small screw driver or something along the line of a awl and press that in and push out at the same time.
    As you are doing that you can use the key to help you pull and out will come the lock.

Yes, it was a VERY learn by doing moment. I ended up hacking up the old one and discovered how it all worked. Actually, NO screws. the Key in the cylinder and an awl would have done it first time out.

It went in much easier! Thanks all!
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Maine Airhead A/M