• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why should I buy a F800GS over an Airhead GS?

Lot of input

I've read over the threads on this topic, interesting...a lot of the same considerations for me are also being stated on this forum. The gas issue is not at the forefront of my consideration, but its been an interesting footnote, mainly with my RT.

I can ride the RT with regular if it's just me on the bike...put a load, do some twisties...and the RT starts a-knocking ! Usually I can go up one to mid-grade, and I'm alright. If I'm all packed up with a Uni-go on the RT...then I still get some knocking at mid-grade, and it goes away with premium. This is on an 04 RT, with the two-plugs.

General assessment with this thread seems to be whether or not you intend to ride more on pavement or off-road applications? My wife and I are not able to do a lot of long-haul riding, so mostly it's a three hour drive to an area and then tour along the roads at our destination. Often we put two bikes in a pick-up with an RV behind us, mostly for three day weekends or longer. Regular weekends...we'll camp-out tent-style with just the bikes.

Seems like if I want the long-haul attributes of the RT, go with the 1200 GS. But if I want a lighter bike (easier to pick up :) ) more off-road applications, then I'm better off with the F 800 GS :dunno

Bottom line, my wife and I ride separate bikes, no more two-up after one 4000 mile trip in two weeks ! So the original reasoning for buying the RT three years ago is sort of null and void. Thus I'm leaning more towards getting the larger GS, but havn't fully counted out the F 800 yet.

Side note...It's my understanding that Paul and Voni Glaves did a ride from Big Ben Texas, up to Alaska, back to Wyoming last year, on a pair of 650 singles !
That sort of throws out any non-sense on the F 800 GS not being road-worthy for the long haul. (feel free to clarify this !)

Anyway, this has been an interesting topic for decision making.

Scotchale:
10 F 650 GS
05 F 650 CS
98 F unduro
04 RT

i don't think anyone said that the F8GS is not road-worthy (they are sorely mistaken if they think so), just that it's big brother is a more road worthy steed.

What are your impression of the F800GS as a long distance ride, I'd be especially interested in highway rather than off road riding? Have any of you experienced both the R1200ST and the F800GS personally and can lend me your impressions of both?

I hope to test ride a F800GS this weekend and evaluate the differences. I'd appreciate any insights from riders of either machine.

Thanks,

Len

Len,
I ride the F650GSTwin, which uses the same saddle as the F800gs, and I can say that it's a fine ride for long distances. Everyone gripes about the saddle (including my girlfriend who is often pillion), but for me a simple gel pad solved my comfort issues. I did 3000+ miles in a week this past summer and my biggest issues were weather, not bike, related.

For the record, I also have back problems, which is one reason I like the GS seating position: upright with my feet under me. A decent seat and a back support of some kind (I use a cheap lumbar support from Home Depot) keeps me buzzing along.

Fritz

i don't think anyone said that the F8GS is not road-worthy (they are sorely mistaken if they think so), just that it's big brother is a more road worthy steed.

I can think of nothing that makes the boxer GS any more suited for long trips than the F800GS. The shaft drive does require a bit less maintenance, but the chain doesn't need much either. The extra power of the boxer would really only be an advantage if you're running two up and fully loaded with gear. All the same, my R1100RS at 90 hp has carried me for many thousands of kilometers of touring without running out of steam. The 85 hp of my F800GS puts it on pretty even footing on the highway given the fact that its lighter.

Thank you for all the replies. As it turns out, we may need a new roof before I get a new bike. Easy come, easy go.

There may be some money left for a KLR. :ha

All -

This Saturday, if all goes well I will pick up my "new" 2005 R1200GS at BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. I have ridden both the F800 and R1200 GS models, and was impressed w/ their "street" creds.

I found the larger GS to be more to my liking and taste.

As a result, after Saturday there will be a very nice 2006 (rare bird, as BMW stopped importing this model in 2005) and it's just had its 30,000 mile service, new tires, and it runs stronger than at 2,000 miles! It saddens me to let her go, but as I stated before, my right leg is not happy after an hour or more in the saddle.

The International Motorcycle Show ended in Atlanta in 2006, and thus this "show" model was given to BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta to sell. I was luck enough to get the "last" ST imported to the USA. It has heated grips, automatic suspension control, computer, ABS, etc. The ST also has an aftermarket Cee B Euro fairing/WS, Verholen bar risers, and BMW cases. Anyone who missed out on this model will do well to visit the Atlanta dealer and check her out. One ride and you'll be hooked, if this type of bike is your cup of tea.

I will miss the ST's 108 hp mill, trading for a healthy all be it lower 98 hp GS power plant. I will probably ride the GS in a manner more befitting my age, however. :stick LOL The ST is intoxicating at speed!

Thanks again for all the helpful comments and suggestions.

Len

Last edited:
Back