Thread: Odometer Quit now what?

Odometer Quit now what?

On my way to work today my odometer & my trip odometer both quit working. Speedo is working fine. Can the unit be repaired/rebuilt?

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Provide a year and model and a lot of data will come your way.

Folks here will provide many sources of used parts.

I have a 1986 R80RT with 51,900 miles. The trip odometer has not been keeping accurate milage for the last month but the regular odometer has been spot on until today.

Try Overseas Speedometer in Austin, TX.
    Good work, good prices.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

odometer

You can try this.
    http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/
    I did it and it worked. I used the dimple the shaft method. Take your time, put a white cloth somewhere clean. I did it on the kitchen table. Helps to have three hands.
    My Tachometer stopped working summer 2008 so I sent the whole thing to North Hollywood speedometer repair and they rebuilt the whole thing.
    Good luck.
    Steve

Yarddog
    I tried the method that DIANEH references last week, and it worked...for about 13.2 miles...I had used JB Weld, so last night I gave it another try, using Epoxy this time...I kinda shy away from taking the shaft off the cogs, at least for now...

Without reading the airheads link, I rebuilt the speedo on my R75.

When the odometer quits, the gear has slipped on the shaft. I rigged mine, and it worked for a while, but I gotta do it properly some time soon.

When the trip-meter quits, the helical gear is no longer making contact with the trip meters shaft. That is an easy fix with a flat screw driver.

Thank you all for the great info. I'm going to call overseas speedometer and get a repair qoute. If it is outta my price range. I'll try the fix myself when the weather gets to uncomfortable to ride. I ride 50 miles round trip everyday and the bike saves me alot of money.

535IS
    Call these guys to get new parts reasonably priced and easy to install.

Odometer Gears Ltd.

I just used Overseas Speedometer for odo and trip failure and speedo recalibration. $125 plus 12 s&h, turn around time less than two weeks. Works fine now. I've been recommending them to friends.

I e-mailed overseas speedo today, couldn't get them by phone. That is a reasonable price if they recalibrate the speedo too. A weeks turn time plus warrantied work sounds good to me. Any tricks I need to be aware of disconnecting the instrument head.

Yarddog
    Well, I got ZERO miles outta the fix this time...obviously, the shaft is too shiny to allow the epoxy to get good adhesion on....I'll try it again, maybe rough up the shaft a bit with a grinding stone on a Dremel tool, also may try the punch technique...

Overseas website has very specific instructions for packing the speedometer safely.
    Just for my convenience, I used an egg carton to put the respective screws from each step of disassembly, which made the reassembly simpler.