• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Continental road attack tires

dockeithdc

innate need to improve
I have searched tires on this forum and read opinions on Metzler, Michelins, Shinko, ect.
I'm specifically looking for those that have tried the continental road attack on their hexhead.
Please give your opinion on performance and mileage. Dealer has a good deal on a pair for my RT so I thought I'd give them a try.

Conti Road Attacks

I've had a few pairs on my previous '06 R1200RT and I'm on the second pair on my '08 R1200RT. They appear to be well-made and usually require only minimal balancing.

I like them. They seem to suit the RT well and allow the bike to 'roll' down into the corners. They make the bike very 'flickable' when changing direction from one side to the other.

I don't think that they last as long as equivalent Michelins/Bridgestones/Metzelers etc., but they're cheaper anyway. I get about 7500 miles from a rear and about 9000 miles on the front. My riding is 50% solo, 50% two-up and laden, and usually, er, 'brisk'. Grip is good in wet or dry conditions. I've never experienced any slides. I run 36/42 psi solo and 38/45 psi when loaded for touring.

I'm not sure where you are located, but over here (in the UK) the Contis are about 10% cheaper than than Mich/Bridges/Metz, so the cost per mile is comparable to other brands.

For the RT, there is a special 'C' fitment for the rear. This has stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes. Make sure you get this one. AFAIK, the fronts are all the same.

Thanks for the info. Planning on balancing with dyna beads. Our Pennsylvania roads are very tough on tires, so if I can get away with a great tire and save some dollars thats a plus:thumb

My RT's orginal tires were the road attacks and liked them.

They did square of quickly in the rear (about 7k miles) and the fornt was tartign to scallop but still held well.

I switched to PR2's and loved them.

I would put the Conti's 2 and the PR2's 1

Back