Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stranded Twice 08RT

Stabil treatment ?

Don't have any technical advise but have been using the Stabil Ethanol Treatment in both my boat and my RT. Like the idea of Ethanol treatment and fuel cleaner in one.

Gary99
    Very common problem. I have an 09 GS and the local dealer tells me most people's gas guage doesn't work, and there is no "fix". BMW tells them to just keep replacing the original system while it is in warranty. My gas guage stays on full, and mileage to go stays on 240. When I get to about 170 miles, I am looking for a gas station, as the bike gets on average about 40 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    Yep. BMW just spent $1700 replacing my pump, injectors, and rubber due to "too much ethanol" in the gas. At least they paid the tow bill and for all of the repairs. Oh, and the fuel strip was replaced. Bike is an '09 with 10,500 miles on it.
    my 09 GSA fuel pump has been replaced twice also. Once at 2400mi in June and now at 4000mi. This time they blamed ethanol in the winter gasolinr blend in Colorado. The first time they couldn't. Seems like a design problem to me

Quote Originally Posted by bsaylors View Post
    Don't have any technical advise but have been using the Stabil Ethanol Treatment in both my boat and my RT. Like the idea of Ethanol treatment and fuel cleaner in one.
    Has BMW officially blessed this additive?

I guess I've got an oddball RT. My 06 gauge works flawlessly. I too reset my #1 trip odometer to zero at every fillup and always get gas at or near 300 miles and take a bit less than six gallons. I've never seen the low fuel warning come on and have no desire to experience it either. At 300 miles I've got a bar and a bit left on the gauge.

Hank

Angry 05 rt

I just returned from a riding vacation which took me through a good part of S. C., N. C., Va., and home. during the second tank my fuel gauge, which had been working perfectly, simply quit working. For the remaining 12 days I rode with a warning light flashing. It was extremely annoying!! I haven't yet had a chance to try to diagnose the problem.

wharthog
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    It happened last night going home. I was cruising along about 60mph and the engine just quit. I have 114 miles to empty and 1/4 tank showing on the display, acted like I ran out of fuel. 2 and a half hours on the side of the road, a state trooper arranged for a tow. I had no cell service naturally. 100 degrees and no water. I never once was stranded on any other bike I have owned. $315 tow bill which I hope BMW will pay, that's going to be my next experience. I got to tell you I am losing confidence and I never expected this from a BMW.
    Thanks for listening, I needed to tell someone.
    I'm on my fourth fuel strip for my ;07 RT. That is the part that sends the fuel level to the gauge. The gauge is terribly inaccurate even when it is working. BMW has roadside assistance which includes free towing while your bike is under warranty. I'm pursuing a Lemon Law case with BMW over this issue. Definitely trust your odometer only...

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    I guess I've got an oddball RT. My 06 gauge works flawlessly. I too reset my #1 trip odometer to zero at every fillup and always get gas at or near 300 miles and take a bit less than six gallons. I've never seen the low fuel warning come on and have no desire to experience it either. At 300 miles I've got a bar and a bit left on the gauge.

My 07 is perfect. It was off when I got the bike, but my dealer (Holt in Athens, OH) replaced the strip in the tank and calibrated the system and it is right on the money for the last 22,000 miles or so. I always reset the trip odometer just to be sure, but when the miles remaining gets to "0" I have about 1 gal reserve left. Depending on what part of the country I'm in, I start thinking about getting gas somewhere around 250 or 300 miles.

Running back from Galveston last night trying to beat the sunset on the '09 GSA...decided LaGrange would be in my fuel window,roughly 30 miles away...bike sputtered soon after that decision and I rocked it to a re-fire, no fuel light warning...made it another hundred yards to another sputter and a really big side to side roll to get her to re-light..saw the lights of a Chevron a mile away as it stumbled the last time in time for a powerless slight downhill roll in to the pumps...computer said 60 miles to go..my odometer had me at 340 miles on that run...well within my usual window. I wasn't hammering it at all, but I was at sea level 1/2 the day and it was very humid. Will check it against odometer on this tankfull... I have had 5 bikes with this fuelstrip setup...first one with an issue this far off. I have a 22OZ emergency fuel bottle but was hoping it was for Helen's or Chucks smaller tanks
    I was hammering it a few months back and ran out when it said I would, 3 miles from town 9 gallons of fuel and I still ran out..luckily I had the bottle that day as well
    The route I took that particular day had no stations the last 150 miles and I "thought " I was going to make the stop...almost! I use my odometer on the bike and the one on the Garmin, don't typically use the countdown on the bike other than for entertainment.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

LaGrange

A how how how how . . .
    Have mercy!

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    A how how how how . . .
    Have mercy!
    That's the place!

I miss Texas.
    Austin way back in '75 was something.
    Made a trip down to San Antonio to see Frank.
    Then made a little border run.
    Damn that was super dangerous fun.
    It's on the bucket list.

Sorry for the hijack.
    Now back to our show.

I guess I will slide by the dealer...yesterday filled up the GSA and reset everything. Computer said range was 423...I typically get 360 miles before I chicken out and top my tank, regardless of what the display tells me.

Used the odometer but kept eye on countdown as well. Toward end of ride display had 306 miles ridden, range left of 262 and MPG was calculated at 42...I stopped for fuel and added a little over 7 gallons...don't see going 262 miles on the other 2 1/2 that was left...unless I was going 30MPH and unless I was at 10K altitude...going 568 miles on one 9 gallon run seems a little wishful!

Steve, it won't hurt to have the dealer calibrate it - but on the R1200R (much smaller tank than your GS) - I find the last 75-50 miles is where the gauge seems most accurate. I get repeatable fill quantities based on the gauge/miles. The first half of the gauge is fantasy. When mine gets below 1/2 is where I can get some idea of how much further I can go.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Yeah, my 05 RT and the other two GS's were like that and were real close after the 1/2 tank and almost dead on to actual fuel capacity. This 09 GSA was fine until we started talking about it two tankfuls ago. Have to go to Austin this week anyway...I'll call them this AM to set up an appt.