Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stranded Twice 08RT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stranded Twice 08RT

It happened last night going home. I was cruising along about 60mph and the engine just quit. I have 114 miles to empty and 1/4 tank showing on the display, acted like I ran out of fuel. 2 and a half hours on the side of the road, a state trooper arranged for a tow. I had no cell service naturally. 100 degrees and no water. I never once was stranded on any other bike I have owned. $315 tow bill which I hope BMW will pay, that's going to be my next experience. I got to tell you I am losing confidence and I never expected this from a BMW.
    Thanks for listening, I needed to tell someone.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Jeff - did you run out of fuel?

Just as an aside - I do believe in belt/suspenders.. whenever I fill up I reset one of my odometers to zero. If I get to 200 miles on it - I know I'll need gas soon, no matter what the miles to empty says. That said - my miles to empty has been pretty accurate based on the amount of fuel I put in the tank. I guess mine might be the exception.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I believe I did however I have trusted the electronic display. When I looked into the tank it is difficult to see fuel due to the tank configuration. I will let the dealer decide which way this is going. I have an expense that I would not have incurred if the display was correct. Good idea on the trip minder.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

My '07 R1200ST seems to have perhaps 20-30 miles left when the countdown reaches zero. However, the display on a friend's GS is about 20 miles optimistic, and he's had to push his bike.

Frankly, I've got enough old bikes that I always reset a trip meter when I fill up and follow that, regardless of what the countdown says.

(Except on my oldest bikes, which don't have trip meters. For them, I look in the gas tank every time I take them out to ride them, and then keep track from there with the main odometer readings.)

I see you're in Paradise, I was just up in your neck of the woods for the Central Cal Beemer Bash a couple weeks ago. Had a great time! For some reason, I've never been on the LaPorte road before, I sure enjoyed that!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

TALLPAULS
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post

Just as an aside - whenever I fill up I reset one of my odometers to zero. If I get to 200 miles on it - I know I'll need gas soon, no matter what the miles to empty says. That said - my miles to empty has been pretty accurate based on the amount of fuel I put in the tank. I guess mine might be the exception.
    +1

last week my bike just died.. not like ran out of gas 'died', but the engine just stopped, shut itself off as I was riding down the road at 40mph.. Had plenty of gas. but it wouldn't start.
    Had it towed to Lone Star in Austin..Turns out it was the Fuel pump controller and Fuel pump. I was told by the service folks that they've seen a few of these failures this year.. I was just happy I didn't have to pay for the towing (200.00), parts and labor (491.00)

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

Fuel, ctd.

Marcopolo can laugh all he wants, but my question to my dealer was about bad gas OR gauge problems. I should have explained that he did tell me about the fuel strip needing to be reset, but only after we talked about ethanol. Last winter, I had a snowblower freeze up when the fuel had entrained water that froze. Two weeks ago, I was suspecting that I had again pumped some bad gas. Around here, even the pumps for 93 octane premium have stickers showing 10% ethanol content. According to everything I've heard, ethanol doesn't eat fuel systems at current specs, but always attracts water.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

This is exactly why I ride an AIRHEAD. Too much high technology that fails too often. I simply flip one of two reserve petcocks and keep on cruising.

Just as an aside - I do believe in belt/suspenders.. whenever I fill up I reset one of my odometers to zero. If I get to 200 miles on it - I know I'll need gas soon, no matter what the miles to empty says. That said - my miles to empty has been pretty accurate based on the amount of fuel I put in the tank. I guess mine might be the exception.

+2, I too was once naive enough believing that a fuel gauge on a 18K dollar machine would provide some functional level of accuracy - sorry to say no.

The same is true with my GT, when I get to 50 miles left showing on range, it does not drop. The cruise can accuractely control the speed to 1mph but don't trust the fuel gauge.

I usually just fill up at 1/4 tank.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - you should see about getting the tow re-imbursed, I would
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Good advice from Deilenberger.
    This is the same advice given to all riders on a Beach's Tour. Reset the odometer and when it reads 200 - get gas as soon as possible. Rob uses brand new BMW's but never trusts the gas gauges.

And after 200 miles or kilometers it is time to stretch the legs, relax and avoid DVT.

I have a late model 06 GS that is badged as an 07. After first getting the bike, I notice the gauge was way off, I dont have the computer on my bike. During the 600 miles service, the dealer dried the strip and reset the computer. Gauge seemed better after this, but still not real accurate. Next service I told them of the issue again and they again dried the strip and reset things along with a firmware update they thought would help. The tech also told me to not fill up until the low fuel light came on. Said something like after the reset, the computer will learn how to better read the strip after the first fill up and it does this better after the fuel light goes on blah blah.

I road the bike for about 30 miles after the light came on, filled up and crossed my fingers. Gauge seems pretty accurate now. It actually counts down for the most part and I have had the thing down to distance til walking reading of 2 miles, of course at this fill up the tank took more than the book says it can hold...?? but oh well. I look at the gauge as just, that a gauge, so I can gauge my ride and fuel stops. I always run one of the trip odometers with the tank and fill up aroun 170 miles any way.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

I see I'm not alone here. I would agree that a $20k machine should have an accurate guage. I have learned a very valuable lesson here, I will watch my odo for miles rather than depend on that silly guage.
    On the bright side the dealer said one way or the other I will be reimbursed for my $315 tow bill. That's great!
    Thank you'all for the thoughts, I really do appreciate this club.
    Jeff
    PS the only people that pulled over to help were two women and a guy on a flying brick.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    I see I'm not alone here. ....... I will watch my odo for miles rather than depend on that silly guage.......
    Jeff - fwiw my RT had a 4% error on the odometer, my GT is between 2-4%

Gotta love it
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Question RT Tank range??

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post

Good advice from Deilenberger.
    This is the same advice given to all riders on a Beach's Tour. Reset the odometer and when it reads 200 - get gas as soon as possible. Rob uses brand new BMW's but never trusts the gas gauges.

And after 200 miles or kilometers it is time to stretch the legs, relax and avoid DVT.

I'm curious : My R12R is good to about 220 miles then I fill up. Best run has been 265 with the computer showing 10 miles to end. I have had a near miss with 30 miles still showing and 249 miles on the odometer, but generally I am content to fill anywhere after 200 as a rule.

My question is this: Are all the RT drivers only going 200 miles between fills ? That seems to defeat the purpose of the fairing and big tank. That makes my RR smile

Thanks !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

Interesting question. Ever since I ran out of fuel with 114 miles to empty, I have been following the wise advice to look for a station at 200 miles. When I filled up last night I took 4.3 gallons and the guage was over 1/4. I believe the tank is suppose to hold 7 gallons. When I ran out of fuel I put 1 gallon in and she fired up. I then proceeded straight to the gas station about five miles away and topped her off at 5.3 gallons. Now my math states a tank that holds 6.3 US gallons. The math has come to 45.3 miles per gallon the last two fill-ups. 6.3 gallons x 45.3 = 285 miles. I am comfortable with a trip meter between 200 and 225 miles I am filling up. Running out of fuel on a two lane hwy with cars zipping around me scared the #$%^$$ out of me. I won't let that happen again and I don't even look at that silly guage anymore.
    Jeff
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT