Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranded Twice 08RT

Stranded Twice 08RT

It happened last night going home. I was cruising along about 60mph and the engine just quit. I have 114 miles to empty and 1/4 tank showing on the display, acted like I ran out of fuel. 2 and a half hours on the side of the road, a state trooper arranged for a tow. I had no cell service naturally. 100 degrees and no water. I never once was stranded on any other bike I have owned. $315 tow bill which I hope BMW will pay, that's going to be my next experience. I got to tell you I am losing confidence and I never expected this from a BMW.
    Thanks for listening, I needed to tell someone.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Jeff - did you run out of fuel?

Just as an aside - I do believe in belt/suspenders.. whenever I fill up I reset one of my odometers to zero. If I get to 200 miles on it - I know I'll need gas soon, no matter what the miles to empty says. That said - my miles to empty has been pretty accurate based on the amount of fuel I put in the tank. I guess mine might be the exception.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I believe I did however I have trusted the electronic display. When I looked into the tank it is difficult to see fuel due to the tank configuration. I will let the dealer decide which way this is going. I have an expense that I would not have incurred if the display was correct. Good idea on the trip minder.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

My '07 R1200ST seems to have perhaps 20-30 miles left when the countdown reaches zero. However, the display on a friend's GS is about 20 miles optimistic, and he's had to push his bike.

Frankly, I've got enough old bikes that I always reset a trip meter when I fill up and follow that, regardless of what the countdown says.

(Except on my oldest bikes, which don't have trip meters. For them, I look in the gas tank every time I take them out to ride them, and then keep track from there with the main odometer readings.)

I see you're in Paradise, I was just up in your neck of the woods for the Central Cal Beemer Bash a couple weeks ago. Had a great time! For some reason, I've never been on the LaPorte road before, I sure enjoyed that!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

No Fuel

I had the same problem last week: without a warning, and with a display reading about 50 miles to go, Artie quit on me while we were passing a truck. After coasting off the highway, I called AAA and had two gallons brought to me by a tow truck, driven by a fellow rider. I recommend AAA gold RV plan: I didn't get charged for the fuel.

I called Jason at Mischler's (Beaver Dam WI), who told me that he hadn't heard about other fuel or gauge problems, but would check Artie when I came in for 24K service next month. He explained that the sender is a moisture-sensitive strip that sends a signal based on where it's wet. I am beginning to suspect that it may be faulty. In the meantime, more than ever, I do what Don suggests: verify with the odometer, don't trust the display. When I get to 100 miles, I fill up.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

RoscoeRules

Maybe the battery

Same thing happened to me 1 yr ago this month at 40 MPH everything shutdown, no warning, nothing---just like I switched off the ignition key----5 hrs later and a tow truck. It was a faulty battery and no amount of jump starting would work because it wouldn't hold a charge---only 16K miles old. And there are others who had the same thing happen. Your dealer will be able to check the fault history on their analyzer to narrow down the problem. I opted for a non BMW battery and it's worked great since. Good luck
    Last edited by RoscoeRules; 09-25-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by antaeas View Post
    I called Jason at Mischler's (Beaver Dam WI), who told me that he hadn't heard about other fuel or gauge problems
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

RTRyder
    Having grown up with motorcycles using manual petcocks with often unreliable reserve valves, I have always used a resettable trip meter to guage when I need to fill up. Now I use a belt and suspender methodology, I reset the primay tripmeter on the RT dash and also have the fuel guage reminder turned on in the Zumo 550, that assures that I get a very noticeable reminder at 210 miles to start looking for a gas station.

Best part of the Zumo reminder is I can just tap the screen and it will give a list of the closest gas stations and route me there if I want, electronic techology can be a good thing!

I have an 05 RT. The dealer did some work on the bike and recalibrated the fuel sensor. I have 20-30 miles left after a zero reading. If your guage is not accurate, rest assured that the system works, and the right mechanic can make it work.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

My '07 GSA did the same thing twice. I turned out to be a faulty fuel pump.
    2015 R1200GS Adventure

Yep. BMW just spent $1700 replacing my pump, injectors, and rubber due to "too much ethanol" in the gas. At least they paid the tow bill and for all of the repairs. Oh, and the fuel strip was replaced. Bike is an '09 with 10,500 miles on it.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I have an 05 RT. The dealer did some work on the bike and recalibrated the fuel sensor. I have 20-30 miles left after a zero reading. If your guage is not accurate, rest assured that the system works, and the right mechanic can make it work.
    Yes and no. On my GS, for example, I do not have the on-board computer. That means I've an old fashioned float-on-a-lever. It's pretty reliable and can be adjusted. The bikes with the on-board computer have a fuel level sensor, instead. I don't believe there's anything a mechanic can do with a sensor other than replace it. There are reports from folks that are now on their second or third (or 4th) sensor and still not getting reliable fuel readings.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    and the right mechanic can make it work.
    The answer to most problems.
    It took me 4 trips back to the dealer to get the gas guage right after my first service.

TALLPAULS
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Jeff - did you run out of fuel?

Just as an aside - whenever I fill up I reset one of my odometers to zero. If I get to 200 miles on it - I know I'll need gas soon, no matter what the miles to empty says. That said - my miles to empty has been pretty accurate based on the amount of fuel I put in the tank. I guess mine might be the exception.
    +1

last week my bike just died.. not like ran out of gas 'died', but the engine just stopped, shut itself off as I was riding down the road at 40mph.. Had plenty of gas. but it wouldn't start.
    Had it towed to Lone Star in Austin..Turns out it was the Fuel pump controller and Fuel pump. I was told by the service folks that they've seen a few of these failures this year.. I was just happy I didn't have to pay for the towing (200.00), parts and labor (491.00)