Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a new rider

Atgatt...

angiesands
    Quote Originally Posted by sudani View Post
    ‘«£We must not allow other people‘«÷s limited perceptions define us.‘«ō Virginia Satir
    "The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds..." Unknown
    Susan,
    LOVE these quotes!! They just about sum things up for me!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by angiesands View Post
    Susan,
    LOVE these quotes!! They just about sum things up for me!
    Angie,

Me, too!!

Just noticed that you are new here - Welcome!

Knock knock

Dont forget to carry your Anonymous book.
    Martin.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

angiesands
    Quote Originally Posted by cathdeac View Post
    Atgatt...
    I must tell you all that I LOVE that everywhere I turn in the bmwmoa.com forums I find this philosophy of "All the gear all the time".

Being a new rider amongst family and friends who are non-riders, I am finding myself battling stereotypes of what everyone seems to think a motorcyclist is.

It's not a pretty picture frankly.

Educating my family and friends about the safety classes, practicing the skills, choosing the proper bike, wearing the proper gear, and so on has been a surprising facet to this journey I am on. And I make sure to tell them about the extremely helpful, welcoming and wise community that I have found here.

Thank you!!

Rally Rat
    Angie,

Being a new rider myself, I consider this my first full season of riding, I've picked many a brain on here. Ultimately, you have to pick and choose what works for you. Everyone has been very helpful. When I was adding farkles to my bike I would always ask if anyone had experience with this or that. The feedback was always worth noting and made all the difference in what I chose. There were even occasions where someone would have exactly what I was looking for and a deal was struck.

Couldn't ask for a better group of folks to be involved.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Angie, over many rallies I have on occasion encountered "newbies". Engaging in conversation, I have taken them around and introduced them to various people I know. I have also taken some of them through the vendors at the rallies and showed them what there was that may be useful to them. The caveat at the time was that they were not going to buy anything yet, but go through and see everything, and then we'll discuss it. Then later that person would make up their own mind and hopefully make wiser purchases, not that I'm an expert because I'm not. All I offer is years of experience and observation. All I offer is help. You'll find that is common among many of the folks here. The best thing you can do for yourself is to ask questions, listen to the various answers, then make your best decision based on what you've heard.

Again, welcome to the family!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Thumbs up Lots of good advice thus far!

Sue was right in that she said ride for a while and then figure out the farkles that you want based on your riding demands.

Try not to fall into the "I got to have this " syndrome early on as your check book will be rapidly be depleted.

However, I would like to add one point. Before you invest big $ in hard luggage, look into soft luggage (saddle bags, pillion bag, tank bag) that can be used on other bikes as well. You may just get the itch sooner than you think to get a different (meaning: BIGGER) bike and why not transfer the soft luggage and keep the overhead down? The soft stuff does not weigh as much either. Besides, the more space you have to fill, you will fill (re-read Sudani about carrying alot of stuff) -filled up spaces equals more weight.

Welcome to the club and post a pic of your ride.
    Keep the rubber side down.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Jeffhorn
    Congratulations! What a great first bike. Wish I still had mine as it was a great companion to my 1150RT. Take a MC course, buy a top case for shopping and you may never drive your car again!

angiesands
    Hey - thanks to everyone for all the amazing input. I'm learning a ton from all of you. Thought I'd introduce my new bike. Not a very glamorous photo, but it'll have to do for now. We are still figuring out her name. Husband thinks it's Annabelle. Daughter thinks it's Rosie. I think it's damn heavy - had to lift her up yesterday by myself. Uff-da! Wasn't anything serious - just a little mishap getting her off the center stand... I had to lay her down or ruin my back forever.
    IMG_0487.jpg

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Paging Skert to the white courtesy phone!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by angiesands View Post
    - just a little mishap getting her off the center stand... I had to lay her down or ruin my back forever.
    [ATTACH]19546
    I'm still trying to get it up on the centerstand! Voni, I have no choice!

Love the color of your bike, Angie...I'm thinking something bright next time for me.
    Last edited by sudani; 10-01-2009 at 12:47 AM.

How about don't use the center stand except for mechanical things?

Works for me.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

The 650 thumpers are amazingly difficult to get on the center stand, especially on the lowered bikes. My wife's is lowered and when I put it on the center stand I ask for help.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    The 650 thumpers are amazingly difficult to get on the center stand, especially on the lowered bikes. My wife's is lowered and when I put it on the center stand I ask for help.
    Good to know. Asking for help is the only way I can get it on the stand. Since it's an aftermarket centerstand, I thought maybe it was too tall. My bike isn't lowered but it still won't just pop-up for me. I've struggled without help and have yet to get it up on the stand.

Thanks!