• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice for a new rider

A

angiesands

I am getting ready to pick up my very first bike this weekend (2009 g650gs). What are your opinions of the more important things to outfit the bike with right off the bat?

The only thing I know for sure I want are the hand guards. Any other opinions?

Hi Angie ..
Congratulations on the new ride!

My advice would be to ride it a few months before you start to "farkle" it. A stock 650 is a lot of fun --> you are going to love it!

About the only thing I would recommend would be an electric vest or jacket liner. (... for you, not the bike) :D At this time of year, rider comfort can be greatly enhanced by a little extra warmth, which will give you a little more riding time every day. You can to start earlier in the morning and ride a little later in the evening.

Stop back in after you get your F650, and tell us how it's going. Don't get discouraged if something stupid happens. (.... uh, like tipping over the bike. Don't ask me how I know.) :banghead

Welcome to the Forum!

Hi Angie! Welcome!

If the bike does not come with saddle bags, I would consider adding them. You are going to have so much fun on that bike that you will soon want to do some travelling.

Congrats and post a picture of your new toy!

Lock it to something - 2 poles & truck = gone to South American
I had a friend loose 2 within a month.

Rider training would be number 1 on my list. The few hours spent in a rider course and then practicing the skills will be the very best money spent!

Welcome to the BMW world. You're going to love it here!

Voni
sMiling

Great advice - thanks for all the tips! To ease your minds I have completed my MSF course and have my license, a full face helmet, riding boots, and armored gear on order.

I think the heated vest is a great idea but I'm not sure where to buy those. Which brands are good for women and affordable?

I've never considered the risk of the bike being stolen! How do you prevent that?

The guy at my dealership has recommended a top case, which seems logical as I can fit my helmet in it and also carry my purse around. Do you agree or should I wait for that?

How do women carry their purse-necessities when doing errands on the bike?

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to get going!!!

Welcome;

Wise choice in bikes. I had a F650 years ago and it was very fine, indeed. My Daughter and her husband still do ride F650s, each of them:). "Gerbings" for heated riding apparel, has the latest high tech wiring for their vests, jackets and all else. Google them for an easy shop:). Happy Trails to ya, Randy:thumb

Welcome to the family! Not being female, but having experienced some not-so-pleasant events, I would recommend carrying your cell phone in a jacket pocket. Also as iHop suggested, carry your essentials in a wallet in a jacket pocket. In the event the unfortunate occurs, these items will be searched for on you. I've also taken to carrying with my license a paper with all my NOK info, along with meds, and anything else that may be helpful in case I am unable to answer questions.

I'm hoping this will be more helpful than bothersome.

Be sure you get an owners manual with the bike. And then read it a few times. It will tell you lots of stuff you need to know, and lots of stuff you already know.

The manuals are not nearly as good (detailed) as they used to be but they are still very handy. Tire pressure, oil type and weight, and other good info are still in there.

Then borrow or buy a maintenance manual and read that too. Especially the early chapters about routine maintenance. Just having read it will help you understand the bike and its wants and needs.

I think the heated vest is a great idea but I'm not sure where to buy those. Which brands are good for women and affordable?

I've never considered the risk of the bike being stolen! How do you prevent that?
Hi Angie, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the acquisition of your new bike.

Besides Gerbings, Aerostich sells a wind blocker electric vest which is very popular. I can personally vouch for this. :) Aerostich is also a great resource for Motorcycle specific gear and apparel. Great customer service (and you get a really cool catalog too!).

I'm not sure which part of the country you live in, but here in NYC, I use a Kryptonite chain lock (typically for long-term parking only; for overnight or hourly street parking, the lock is a bit too much--plus no one wants to steal an 18 yr old K75 around here :D).

Good luck!

Hi Angie and welcome to te MOA and it's forums. You are in a unique room called Women iof the MOA. It's a new forum and has been quite active in only it's first week. Congrats on the new bike and don't forget to stop in NEW MEMBERS forum if you haven't already.
You will meet a lot of wonderful people here and learn a lot regarding your ride.
I'm traveling on the road for 3 weeks, but will jump in whenever I can.
And again, welcome.

Besides a clean mind and good driving;

Proper tools.
Tire pump
Does your bike have tubes in the tires, if so, get some 'fix a flat' stuff to spray in the tube if you get a flat. If you don't have tubes, get some worms from Advanced Auto or Wal-Mart to fix the flat enough to get you home.
Know where the fuses are, carry spares.
Flash light. Small flash light on your jacket so you can find the trunk keys or saddle bags that you will add sooner or later :)
Oh, make sure you have an outlet that will handle the tire pump and not blow the fuse.
If your adventurous and have tubes, carry spare tubes and tire removal tools.
SUNSCREEN, keep some on the bike at all times!

I have an '07 F650gs...so same as the new G650gs...
Lots of fun to accessorize! I had the stock luggage on it originally but I hated it and replaced it with some large metal adv cases but now I've decided I like the original stock cases better.....need to find some used ones!

I put a givi topcase on it....holds two full face helmets on my jacket and helmet. By far a topcase is the bomb! Best purchase ever. You can carry your whole purse if you want.

Aftermarket pegs are a must if you're going to take if off roading.....you'll want something wider, easier to stand on.

It's a great bike, you'll have lots of fun on it. Mine has about 21K on it!

I've found that even when scooting around town, it's good to be prepared. I can't just take my purse and go. I have saddlebags on both my bikes and rarely take them off. I have a smaller purse that I use just for riding and just transfer my wallet which holds the essentials.

At any time, my saddle bags could hold an assortment of things or nothing at all. If we are out for the day, I'll throw rain gear or Gerbings in there. A bottle or two of water, snack, extra layer of clothing, whatever.

I never wanted a tank bag until I broke down and bought one. Now I can't live without it. In there, I keep my cell phone, lip balm, a cleaning rag, sunglasses (when I'm not wearing them), a tiny can of plexus, pen and paper, a bit of duct tape, an all-in-one tool such as a leatherman, and other odd bits.

Also, I have a heavy duty waterproof bag (approx 4" x 6") that I keep in the little tail compartment of the 650 GS. On the other bike, I have a waterproof case that is about the size of a deck of cards that fits under the seat. Either of these are available at a sporting goods store (check the camping section) or a marine store. These hold my registration, insurance card, Roadside assistance info, MOA info, and a spare $20. I never take them off the bike. Soem people use zip lock bags but they tend to get beat up and need replacing.

For me, it was a lot of trial and error on what to take whether I'm running errands, out for a day's riding, or on a trip. I try to be prepared for almost any scenario without lugging a huge load of crap.

I learn as I go, I guess. After experiencing a flat tire on my 3rd ride ever....I now carry a cycle pump and tire plug kit and learned how to plug a tire. I barely made it to the dealer to have it fixed on that ride.

I always have my phone on me...never in my tank bag. Won't do me any good if I'm seperated from the bike. Same goes for my ID, contact list, money, etc. Always on me. Actually, I keep everything I need in my jacket while riding.

Forget the makeup and girlie things you would normally carry in your purse....there's nothing glamorous about riding a bike. That's a figment of someone's imagination.

:wave

ÔÇ£We must not allow other peopleÔÇÖs limited perceptions define us.ÔÇØ Virginia Satir
"The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds..." Unknown

Susan,
LOVE these quotes!! They just about sum things up for me!

Atgatt...

I must tell you all that I LOVE that everywhere I turn in the bmwmoa.com forums I find this philosophy of "All the gear all the time".

Being a new rider amongst family and friends who are non-riders, I am finding myself battling stereotypes of what everyone seems to think a motorcyclist is.

It's not a pretty picture frankly.

Educating my family and friends about the safety classes, practicing the skills, choosing the proper bike, wearing the proper gear, and so on has been a surprising facet to this journey I am on. And I make sure to tell them about the extremely helpful, welcoming and wise community that I have found here.

Thank you!!

Back