• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

!#$*&&! inattentive drivers!!

kewlmoose

Raspberry waffles Bob!!!
This is getting old. :mad 2nd time in about a year that I got rear ended (luckily I was driving my car) by someone who was not paying attention while driving home. I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn and BANG the woman who was behind me hit my car. Luckily she did not push me into traffic or it would have been a lot worse. Rear bumper on my car is all busted up, I'll call her insurance company in the morning and see about getting it fixed. I can feel my back and neck starting to tighten up so I took a couple naproxen (generic aleve) to try and keep things loose. The driver freely admitted she was watching traffic and thinking about lesson plans for the week so she did not notice I was stopped. Hopefully I don't get too stiff & have to miss the Whitecap Fall Colors ride this weekend. I'm thinking I should trade the Xb in and get another truck, gas mileage be d*mned. I never got hit in my 4x4 Ram.
Oh well, thanks for letting me rant!

Sounds like you chose the right vehicle for the trip home.... if ya gotta get hit...

Glad you're only feeling a little stiffness... and that it starts clicking again soon.

I've been hit each of the last three springs... goofy people.. but, I have appreciated having a "receiver hitch"...:brad:brad

Same thing happened to my wife tonite

While stopped at an intersection waiting to turn left in her Honda Odyssey she was rear ended by an inattentive female driver. Fortunately all she has is a sore neck & smashed rear bumper and tailgate. She didn't even get so much as an apology from the woman that hit her.

Hope you make your ride this weekend.

My wife was hit in Ft. Worth 6 months ago, stopped on 820 in traffic and a Chevy Avalanche hit her in the rear. Totaled her Acura TL, but she and my daughter-in-law were not seriously hurt......a few trips to the chiropractor for the daughter-in-law. People are crazy......nobody pays attention anymore. Be careful out there. ('course, how can you be more careful than being STOPPED!)

Glad you are not seriously hurt.

I've been hit each of the last three springs... goofy people.. but, I have appreciated having a "receiver hitch"...:brad:brad

Can't put a hitch on the Xb :-( Maybe that was what was keeping people from hitting my truck :)

Kinda stiff this morning, been taking naproxen to try to keep the pain and stiffness at bay.

On the plus side the other driver filed a claim and her insurance company called me this morning. I'm getting an estimate next week Monday from the body shop my car dealer uses.

My truck was stopped at a stop light when it was rear ended by a woman going home from a party :)drink). I get a new bumper, plastic trim and license plate frame. The offending Prius had to be towed away, bucause the police did't trust the electrical connections in that hybrid.

It should be back from from the body shop today or tomorrow. I was not driving, but the driver was real stiff and sore, but not injured, and no airbag deployment.

I repeat Stupid inattentive drivers.:banghead

Interestingly, when the guy hit my wife, he knocked her into the SUV in front of her, which was also stopped, of course. The guy from that SUV (which had only cosmetic damage) said he was going right then to trade it. He had had it for only two months, and this was the third time it had been hit from the rear. :banghead

I didn't get hit though...

On my way home yesterday I was in the middle lane and a little lady was next to me in the left lane. The signal in the far right lane changed to a green right turn arrow only. All other lanes were still red. She saw green and just went right on through her red! As soon as she started to move I thought oh "S" I am going to get run over from behind!!

Lucky for me the driver behind me did the right thing!

I was in line at the exit to the airport parking lot. It is one of those lots where you pay at the machine before you exit. The guy in the SUV in front of me hadn't paid, so he reversed into me. Of course the SUV rode up over my Honda Civic and destroyed the bumper, lights, hood, fender. Grrrrr...

Black Nail Brigade....

Worth taking a look...

Black Nail Brigade Manifesto – “Nail Polish Crash” & Discretionary Distracted Driving

My mother, Anita Zaffke, helmeted & conspicuously clad, was killed Saturday May 2, 2009 at approximately 5:45PM just north of Lake Zurich, IL at the corner of Route 12 (Rand Road) & Old McHenry Road. Stopping for a red light, she was hit from behind by Lora L. Hunt of Morris, IL who admitted to the police that she was PAINTING HER NAILS & didn't see my mom until after the collision. There is red nail polish all over the inside of the car and on the airbag. We need full prosecution for this offense. We need strict “reckless vehicular homicide” legislation. Too many drivers are multi-tasking. Too many are oblivious to their reckless decisions. Too many good people are dying.

Sept 16th update: Lora L. Hunt of Morris, IL was indicted by a grand jury on 6 counts of Reckless Homicide. October 8, 2009 is her arraignment date.

What's perhaps more compelling than anything else are the PSAs from overseas that deal with the Distracted Driving problem in a very visceral way, as well as motorcycle awareness in another. It would be great if PSAs like the ones linked off of the site would air in prime time here in the states, but I suspect they'd be too controversial and potentially upsetting to gentle viewers.

I have a dream...

....where all drivers drive their vehicles without:

- talking on the cell phone
- texting on the cell phone
- putting on their makeup or shaving with their cordless razors
- eating their slimy fastfood breakfast sandwiches
- doing "word find" puzzles (yes, I've seen this)
- using their laptop on the passenger seat next to them (I've seen this, too)

and many, many more.

It used to be a pet peeve of mine seeing the big hitches with the chrome balls attached in parking lots. Now, I'm almost to the point of leaving my hitch "in" all the time as a precautionary measure.

Today's Sun News (Myrtle Beach) carried a brief item about a woman being sentenced in a hit and run fatality. Driving Sport Utility vehicle struck one biker from behind who suffered minor injuries. Struck second motorcycle with 56 yo rider who died from head injuries reportedly she then fled the scene.

She was sentenced to a whole year in prison for this!

I need to get a bigger PDA so I can read threads like this easier while I'm driving. :)

Driving out to get my bike from the shop yesterday, I saw a guy who was on the phone while driving, and clearly not paying as much attention as he needed to.

On further examination, however, I realized he had everything under control: he also had an anxious-looking little dog in his lap, standing on its hind legs with its paws on the wheel. Once I noticed this I felt a whole lot better.

I was in line at the exit to the airport parking lot. It is one of those lots where you pay at the machine before you exit. The guy in the SUV in front of me hadn't paid, so he reversed into me. Of course the SUV rode up over my Honda Civic and destroyed the bumper, lights, hood, fender. Grrrrr...

I bet if you had unloaded a 44 Mag into his a#!% he wouldn't do it again... then again my Doctor keeps telling me violence is not the answer......:hug

Car repair estimate

Got the estimate last night, $900 in 'visible' damage. May be more they can't see under the bodywork. 2-3 days in the shop. Now I'm waiting on the other drivers insurance company to approve the claim.

A big hitch on a vehicle is a great thing even if you don't tow anything. My folks had a convertible that got rear-ended and had no damage, while the offending car was a wreck..:nyah:nyah

Back