• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another dealer gone?

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
I heard last night that DeSimone in Mount Laurel, NJ is closing its doors in 4-6 weeks. This came from a guy who was told this when he took his bike there for service yesterday.

I had heard this rumor before and asked the sales manager who laughed it off a few weeks ago. I guess he isn't laughing now. They were far from my favorite dealer but I hate to see them go. This is going to make service really difficult for alot of folks I know.

Guess you'll be clogging up the frequently open service schedule I've been enjoying for about 2yr. now at Trans Am BMW in Lititz, PA. About 40 mi from Wilmington DE. up 41 to 772 to Lititz. Ask for Charlie.

Les.
Newark.DE

http://www.trans-amcycles.com

Hi Les,

I've been there and passed that along to the handful of local club members who have contacted me this morning.

Do I know you? (serious question as maybe I just don't recognize your screen name.) Where in Newark are you?

I heard last night that DeSimone in Mount Laurel, NJ is closing its doors in 4-6 weeks. This came from a guy who was told this when he took his bike there for service yesterday.

I had heard this rumor before and asked the sales manager who laughed it off a few weeks ago. I guess he isn't laughing now. They were far from my favorite dealer but I hate to see them go. This is going to make service really difficult for alot of folks I know.

I talked to Vince yesterday, 10/24, and he told me that it will take about 2 months to wind down and sell as much as the inventory as possible and to finish all of the WIP. They are not taking any more "crash jobs," bikes that have been involved in accidents. He had talked to his Ducati rep who told him that at least Ducati wants a presence in the S. Jersey / east Pa area, and that there were 4 people interested in a franchise. (Sorry, I didn't think to ask about BMW, too). His maybe optimistic, feeling is that there will be somethin in the area in a year. Not at DeSimon'e place, but somewhere.

I feel badly for them and me.

Any ideas why they're closing? Is the economy really that bad? There are so many people in the Philly/South Jersey area with disposable income. I just find it hard to believe that they couldn't turn a profit.

Jim

Any ideas why they're closing? Is the economy really that bad? There are so many people in the Philly/South Jersey area with disposable income. I just find it hard to believe that they couldn't turn a profit.

Jim

IMO Timing. They had contracted for the new shop a few years ago and probably had a mortgage on it. They stocled the showroom with tons of bikes but also all of the stuff that goes with a bike - clothes, helmets, gloves, boots. *Then* the economy went south, and as much as some of us use our bikes to commute, they are mostly toys, toys that take a backseat to food and college costs.

*Then* the economy went south, and as much as some of us use our bikes to commute, they are mostly toys, toys that take a backseat to food and college costs.

If in any doubt about that, crack open your local paper or craigslist, and look at how many recently purchased bikes are for sale.

If in any doubt about that, crack open your local paper or craigslist, and look at how many recently purchased bikes are for sale.

In my neck of the woods the recently purchased bikes for sale are Harleys more often than not. Of course in Iowa there are more Harleys sold than any other brand. Must drive the market down though for Harley, used and new.

Well, regardless of their reasons for closing, it's unfortunate for the employees. It also leaves a big void in this area.

Besides Trans Am in Lancaster and Hermy's outside of Reading, are there any authorized BMW shops near Philadelphia?

Jim

Cross Country is in Metuchen, NJ.

Touch of Class in Phillipsburg, NJ is a former dealer but still does service.

Bob's BMW is in Columbia, MD.

There is an independent shop, Spare Parts Company, on Vine St between 4th and 5th St in Philly that I have heard good things about. They specialize in Moto Guzzi, but will work on other European cycles as well.

I'll be checking them out soon.

Rumor has it that Rob, who's last name I don't know, may be moving back to his old location in Deptford, NJ. Rob is reported to be one of the best service techs on the east coast.

Even tho they are the closest to me, I tended to go elsewhere due to a few past and poor experiences. I can name a good dozen or so others with similar feelings. As recently as a month ago, we had to fuss with their service manager to get a new bike serviced and nothing was done as promised. With that said, I never had the opportunity to have Rob perform service but I remember talking to him years ago and he made a great impression when he still had his dealership. If he reopens and stays local, I'd go back.

I use Hermy's even though they are not my closest dealer. They did excellent work on my K100 plus gave me a 2009 Triumph Bonneville as a loaner for two days. Hourly rate is $20 less than Cross Country. Most importantly, they are the nicest people you will find in a dealership.

Well, regardless of their reasons for closing, it's unfortunate for the employees. It also leaves a big void in this area.

Besides Trans Am in Lancaster and Hermy's outside of Reading, are there any authorized BMW shops near Philadelphia?

Jim

Jim

I told Vince to tell everyone in the joint that if they ever needed a personal reference that they could give me a call; from the salespeople, parts, paperwork, but especially the techs.

Rob Kivick? Kiviak?

I've already touched base with Brian at Cross Country for an appointment. I live in central Jersey and used to use CC, but I hated going there; Rte 1 North which always had traffic and construction, and then 287 which was always mentioned on Traffic & Weather together, know what I mean?

Going to DeSimoes was about the same distance but I went south on Rte 1 then cruised on I95. Forty minutes and after one trip I knew where the coppers usually were. But having a back-up dealer is better'n none.

I spoke with Vince yesterday and apparently Montgomeryville Cycle Center will be adding BMW to their location. RK was great and will certainly be missed. Hopefully, he will remain in the area and be picked up by DeSimone's replacement.

This is interesting. They used to be a BMW dealer. I will have to check them out but will probably continue to use Hermy's.

Back