• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adapt /7 Tank to R100R?

C

CDHE84

Can anyone tell me what is involved in adapting a square -possibly /7 style- tank to my R100R? Is their a particular unit that will bolt up, or will I have to modify to allow for mounting and clearance of electronics?

Easiest is a tank from one of the mono bikes, as they have more room on the right side of the tunnel. Otherwise you can relocate some of the electronics that live under the tank, or modify the tunnel of a different tank.

The front mount on the tank needs to be relocated downward by an inch or so, which can be done by making a similar partial tubing piece and attaching it to the original mount, to raise the front of the tank, or by welding it all the way across the two sides of the tunnel. I'm not sure yet whether the back of the tank needs raised as well.

You also need to fab or otherwise add the pins to the frame at the rear of the tank, for the clips that hold the backs of those tanks, different from the rear attachment of the R100R tank. If you get to where you're going to go ahead and do it, let me know and I'll get you some pictures. I believe you may also need to change the seat along with the tank, as the stock seat or other aftermarkert GS-style seats do not marry well to the earlier tank.

In my case I'm adapting the rear subframe from a mono bike so that I can run an earlier seat to go with the tank. Another thought I had was to try the seat from an R80ST, which may be the same as some of the R65 seats? which looks like it might work with one of the earlier tanks, 'though I never had the chance to try it out.

Thanks for the advice. Flatracer.com has a Giulari replica seat that they say fits all monolevers except for GS and later Mystics.

I think the R100R has same frame as these. I think in Europe they may have sold only the Mystic and not the plain-jane R100R. Maybe... The subframe on an R100R looks an awful lot like a GS subframe.

Back