• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K bike ergonomics

KARSTEN

good morning to all,I am looking to buy a K bike,due to the lack of dealers in my part of the country and the fact that there are relatively few BMWs locally, I will be using the net to find my next bike.Most of my riding will be short day trips(have to work) so I know that I can rule out the big K-LTs.I am 6.4" and am wondering which of the K 75,100 or newer is suited for tall folks.Since I can't try any used K-bikes in person and don't want to travel half way across the country only to find that a model is too cramped,I would like to get some feed back from the group.I have been riding an airhead RT which was good if riding solo but too cramped two up.Been considering a GS but I think I am ready for a K bike.Any advise welcomed

How long do you plan on keeping your next bike?

The K75,100, and 1100 are getting a little long in the tooth. Besides wear items you have to look at age problems cropping up. Dealerships that started after the older bricks carry a very limited parts inventory, mostly parts that change out with newer K and R bikes. The problem gets complicated because newer mechanics haven't worked on this older series of bikes. That and age related problems, essentially you will be the mechanic.

I'd go for an 11XXGS.

2263354997_4df343142c_o.jpg

My big guy enjoys riding my K75, finds it very comfortable, he's 6'4.

The K75 is a bargain way to get into a K bike, read some of the other threads, there is a religious fervor amongst its owners.

And it doesn't mind a little dirt

3916046895_3838fc87e9.jpg

the K 75 and K 100 "getting a bit long in the tooth" would not bother me, nor the prospect of having to be my own mechanic.Previous bikes have been a 1971 R60/5 ,1994 R1100RS and a 1984 R80RT, so I am used to wrenching.I know that the ergos on the 2005 -on K RS are a bit more accomodating than the previous K RSs.
Planning on finding the right Bike and to keep it a while.

I am 5'10" tall and I find that my knees slightly touch the lowers on my '91 K75RT and '85 K100RT. Both these bikes have full front fairings with lowers. A K75/100 without full fairing or a k75T (like Gail's above) would probably work very well for you.

I'm "only" 6'-0" but my K100RS is a very comfortable bike, plenty of room to stretch out. Plenty of over 6-footers riding this model too.

I'm 6'4", too. My K100 fits me fine. When I bought the bike, she has a Russell Day Long seat. That got a little shabby, so I sent it back to Russell for a rebuild, along with pix of me and Mrs. Godzilla in vairous poses and our vital statistics. The seat came back custom fitted to our butts!

Anyway, I sit flat-footed on the K at a stop. I don't have any trouble climbing aboard her, either.

Note that I have a nekkid K100; no fairing, so knee clearance and all of that isn't applicable.

The guy who does the work on my '85 K has no problems getting parts for her. I am not sure where he gets his stuff, but he makes a call and within a few days he has whatever he needs to get her back on the road.

Long in the tooth? Yeah, true. But keep the mice out of her airbox and she'll run forever!!!

Long may your Brick fly

Right on, Godzilla!

I'm 6' and have a K75S with the low-seat. I built up the seat to where it is a comfy fit and I will try installing some minimal (7/8 up and 5/8" back) barbacks soon---so then it will be a perfect fit for me.

I'd say go for it; I bought mine with the same idea in mind---fix it up to snuff and make it a real solid keeper.

Early Ks are GREAT! 50+mpg, fast enough, nice turbine-like snarl, handle well (except at 5mph parking lots) and great looks, IMO.:dance

I had both a K75RT and a K100RT. They were identical other than the engine. I'm short with a short inseam (29"). There is not much room behind the fairing for my legs. If I were taller, it would have been a problem. Either of the bikes without the RT fairing would be good for a taller driver since the seat height is high.

I had both a K75RT and a K100RT. They were identical other than the engine. I'm short with a short inseam (29"). There is not much room behind the fairing for my legs. If I were taller, it would have been a problem. Either of the bikes without the RT fairing would be good for a taller driver since the seat height is high.

+1 My inseam is 28" and there is not a lot of room behind the fairing of my K100RT, but is still a fun bike to ride. On the plus side, I seldom need to wear rain pants as the fairing keeps my legs protected.

I too am vertically challenged compared to the op.
I am only 6' 35 inch inseam

I have an 85 k100rs, I find very comfy, on long trips I lay down on my tank bag, feet on rear pegs, head down behind windshield. Two up riding is getting harder now I am getting older 50+. Ss I am putting a LT together. I bought an 85 RT and a 91 LT parts bikes. I am marrying them. This will be for 2 up riding, I have put over 100K on my on this bike. It is the most comfortable, reliable bike I have ever owned. I started riding when I was 8,, so I have had just a few bikes.

I have a k75T with a pichler fairing too. I rode this bike to the rally in 98, 2 up.

My 2 sons have K75SÔÇÖs If leg room is an issue this would be a good choice.

As for getting parts. No problem.
First, they donÔÇÖt usually need many parts; get your oil filters by the 6 pack. Lucky for me I have a dealer 10 miles away. I call, tell him what I need, they have the part 50 % of the time. Next day if it is in the country 10 days if it has to come by boat.

I bet if you look around here enough you will find someone that lives close enough to you that they would at least let you come sit on their bike if not take it around the block.
Or come up here you can try a couple of mine.

Gotta Disagree!

I have a K100RS, and am 6'4", 35" inseam. The bike fits me better than anything else I've been on. Quite roomy. Matter of fact, when I went to test ride it, the seller said "you are the first guy that fits this thing!"

As far as the "long in the tooth" comment, although I haven't needed many parts in the year that I've owner it, anytime I've needed anything it has been easy to find. Max BMWs online parts fiche is excellent, and I even got new foot peg rubbers last week in 3 days.

If it were me, I'd look at the K1100 series over the K100s if you weren't looking for the K1200. The K1100 have better rear suspension and a more modern wheel size that makes it easier to find modern tires. They also have the ABS option, although that can be the cause of some expensive nightmares (ok, maybe a little long in the tooth there). The 1200s have the advantage of the Telelever/Paralever upgrades, and about 50 more hp, but also ~60 more pounds, and more cash up front.

Last edited:
I am 5"9" so listen to the tall people regarding fit.

To add to Sailing Fool, I get my K100 dealer serviced and they get parts delivered next day.

I have seen a couple of clean K1100s for sale at dealerships for around $4000. That is a deal for a mid 1990s BMW. If I didn't like my K100 so much I would have purchased either one.

Hi, Karsten,
Remember that BMW made a low seat for the K-bikes. You mostly see them on K75's. The last couple of years for the K75 ('94-'95), a lot of the basic bikes had the low seats. If there are no side covers and there is a big rubber cover which clips (and bolts, in the back) to fittings on the tank and extends down to clip to the frame, it is the low seat. At 6'4", you might be more comfortable with the normal seat. I got a bargain on my K75A/3 because the PO could not take the ergonomics. He did not know it was a low seat and, instead of finding and mounting a normal seat, he sold the bike.

I'm 6'. On my former K75RT, the stock European windscreen caused quite a bit of noisy buffeting and the stock height Corbin seat was just a tad low. My left foot toes would occasionally grind against the road on curves and turns, but I'd just lift my foot ( a habit I caught myself doing the other day on my R1150RT). It would also cook my lower legs

Probably the worst thing was the sore knees....I always wore out the left knee on my jeans and after a trip I noticed my knees were pretty bruised. So the next trip to Walmart, I picked up some blue, construction-type knee pads for $5. Ugly, but they did the job.

My final solution to the ergs was to get an R1150RT. Plenty of leg room, no sore knees, adjustable windscreen, it cruises comfy like a '69 Mercury and corners like a Beemer. But I wouldn't insinuate that it's as dead-reliable as the K75 was.

I think you ought to define what kind of rider you are. If you're a year-round commuter, the protection of an K75RT is hard to beat in the winter, but also hard to stand when the temp rises near 100 degrees. It's also going to be cramped, especially for your size. If the bike is mainly for pleasure, I think a standard with a windscreen or an RS would be pretty nice...Pretty good protection and you can always bundle up for cooler temps. It will still be a bit cramped for you, but your knees won't suffer.

How long do you plan on keeping your next bike?

The K75,100, and 1100 are getting a little long in the tooth. Besides wear items you have to look at age problems cropping up. Dealerships that started after the older bricks carry a very limited parts inventory, mostly parts that change out with newer K and R bikes. The problem gets complicated because newer mechanics haven't worked on this older series of bikes. That and age related problems, essentially you will be the mechanic.

I'd go for an 11XXGS.

(harumph)...if you are counting on the mechanically challenged squid kids I find in most shops for expertise, I fear you are in for a disappointment. Wrench it yourself, it's only way to know for sure. I believe I can get any part needed for my 85 k100rs delivered to my door in 3 days. Aftermarket is strong for these models.

That being said, there's nothin' wrong with a new bike either 8^)
jcb

I'm 6'4" and tried two R1100RT's, two R1100RS's, a R1100GS and a K1100RS (not counting numerous Airheads). Sargent seats, corbin(worthless crap) seats, and Russell seats. I found the present K1100LT with a built to fit Russell the best fit for us long limbed. That said if I lived where cold weather protection wasn't an issue I'd find a 1150GS or R1150RS with a six speed transmission for a garage partner.

I'm 6'. On my former K75RT, the stock European windscreen caused quite a bit of noisy buffeting and the stock height Corbin seat was just a tad low. My left foot toes would occasionally grind against the road on curves and turns, but I'd just lift my foot ( a habit I caught myself doing the other day on my R1150RT). It would also cook my lower legs

Probably the worst thing was the sore knees....I always wore out the left knee on my jeans and after a trip I noticed my knees were pretty bruised.

I can believe it! I'm only 5'8" and I was cramped against the RT fairing when I first got it. The contours of the Corbin seat prevented me from scooting back, so I always felt a little too far forward and my knees (or rather the pads in my riding pants) were always grazing the fairing or pressing against it. A stock / flatter seat did the trick and now I'm quite comfortable.

I also replaced the stock shield with a Clearview and really like the difference.

I am 6'6'' and about 215 lbs, and ride a 1995 K75. I love the bike! I have ridden as far as 700 miles with only gas stops in between. I flat foot the bike, find the handle bars in a comfortable position, and ride it 2up with my girlfriend all the time. We completed a trip from Missoula MT to Yellowstone and back last summer as well. I have never had a problem with my knees being uncomfortable either. The only issue that I have found is that my helmet sits WELL above the top of the windshield.

Back