• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Room of Her Own

Ear issues got me away from music when I am riding. I had sudden hearing loss in my right ear, about 30%, and left me with insane ringing; at first wanted to rip the ear off my head with a constant distraction, but since getting fitted with internal inside the ear plugs, and simply getting used to it, my suffering has lessened.

The only place, however where I do get as close to silence as possible is on the bike with the earplugs in. The tinnitus becomes nothing at all.

Music is gone while riding for now, and as Karol said, leaving me more room and a bigger attention span to fill it. Why I and others do what we do on motorcycles is a project I've been working on for quite some time. The end result? I have no clue, other than a quest for understanding. Maybe a screenplay? Naaaaa-not me!!!

I've talked alot about why we ride in other forum threads, and find many men, who are like me have somthing to say, and a few who are offended I ask. But very few women who talk about "inside their room" over in campfire, so this thread is refreshing, to say the least. You women have some good words here.

If you don't mind an english challanged, spellin deficit guy posting over here once an awhile, I might come back.

Actually, I am one to prefer sesame oil, especially when cooking in a wok ...
And a wok, by the way, is a simple, single, versatile, if not universally capable cooking tool
that packs quite easily on a bike and can double as a plate or a bowl.
When traveling and intending to 'cook out',
a wok can be the sum total of my cooking / eating kit ÔÇô
with a pair of chop-sticks, of course.
A good solution when traveling solo & packing light !
I'll have to try that! Simple, yet elegant!

Voni
sMiling

I've talked alot about why we ride in other forum threads, and find many men, who are like me have somthing to say, and a few who are offended I ask. But very few women who talk about "inside their room" over in campfire, so this thread is refreshing, to say the least. You women have some good words here.

If you don't mind an english challanged, spellin deficit guy posting over here once an awhile, I might come back.

Any one with a positive learning spin is welcome here!

Voni
sMiling

Tricky ear problems. I deal with sinus/allergy related issues that just love to mess with my inner ear, especially in the Fall. Leaves me to take it day by day how much riding I can do during allergy season.

I hesitate to use my earplugs. I'm thinking that I need to wear them around the house for short periods just to get used to them. So far, haven't done that. Still don't like the idea of blocking out sound.

Welcome iHop. I see you've been a member since 2008 and this was your first post. It's nice that you decided to join us.....keep posting!

Last edited:
For those of you who like to ride with music, I highly recommend getting a custom pair of speaker earphones. They are very comfortable, and block out a good portion of the wind noise. As such, the volume can be much lower, which protects your hearing and the ability to hear other vehicles, etc. Given how well the earphones work, I'm able to keep the volume on my MP3 player on 1 or 2. To protect my hearing, I usually set the volume at a reasonable level before taking off. Occasionally, I have trouble hearing the music, but I'd rather have that scenario than to damage my hearing.

Ear issues got me away from music when I am riding. I had sudden hearing loss in my right ear, about 30%, and left me with insane ringing; at first wanted to rip the ear off my head with a constant distraction, but since getting fitted with internal inside the ear plugs, and simply getting used to it, my suffering has lessened.

The only place, however where I do get as close to silence as possible is on the bike with the earplugs in. The tinnitus becomes nothing at all.

Music is gone while riding for now, and as Karol said, leaving me more room and a bigger attention span to fill it. Why I and others do what we do on motorcycles is a project I've been working on for quite some time. The end result? I have no clue, other than a quest for understanding. Maybe a screenplay? Naaaaa-not me!!!

I bought an I-pod last year thinking it would keep me company over the "Long-Miles". I've come to realize I like the silence. 500 mile days or 1,000 saddle-sore. Silence is my friend. Don't get me wrong, I love a variety of music, but 'in my helmet' is not the place for me to get lost in the sound. We are all different. Isn't that cool?:dance
Nice to meet you last weekend, Redclfco.:hug Writng from Schenectady, NY (or something like that??)

When I'm just riding around town, I usually do not wear earplugs. When I'm on a long trip, I wear the soft squishy type. They do not block out all the sound. They just make it more tolerable. I still hear train whistles, car horns, bike engine, sirens, they're just not as loud.

I also listen to music when I ride. I just started listening to music while riding this year. I was always hesitant to do so as I thought it would be a distraction. However, I find that if I keep the music low, so I can just hear it it makes for a pleasant ride. I can still hear what's going on around me, have some nice background noise, don't get bored. I can even ignore it if I want.

-June

Welcome iHop! Nice to meet you. Stop by anytime. This is a nice place to get to know everyone!

I bought an I-pod last year thinking it would keep me company over the "Long-Miles". I've come to realize I like the silence. 500 mile days or 1,000 saddle-sore. Silence is my friend. Don't get me wrong, I love a variety of music, but 'in my helmet' is not the place for me to get lost in the sound. We are all different. Isn't that cool?:dance
Nice to meet you last weekend, Redclfco.:hug Writng from Schenectady, NY (or something like that??)

Same here. The I-pod interferes with the music in my mind which is accompanied by the background sounds of engine, wind, tires, etc. Usually the melody changes with the miles, but sometimes I get stuck on some tune to which I can only remember one verse, and it keeps "playing" over and over and over..... :banghead

Tom

PS: I like this kinder, gentler forum.:thumb

Hi,
For those who don't like earplugs or for those for whom earplugs are uncomfortable, there are many, many sizes, shapes and materials. Find a store which stocks safety items. They probably have more earplugs than you can count.

Helen, I'd love to sit down with you and listen to your many adventures. I have heard some, but I'm sure there are many more. But only if the Magic Cooler is close.

I no longer listen to music on the bike. I hit a deer with my K1100LT and none of my K75's has a radio. I'm too much of a Luddite to get an iPod or something like that. But when I had the K1100LT, I often listened to Classical music during long, boring rides. I can still remember Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries blaring through the headphones as I rode north on the toll road from Torreon heading toward Chihuahua!

earplugs

Hated wearing earplugs ÔÇô
I have tried every over-the-counter type and material ever made !
No exaggeration !
Some were better than others, but one of two results was inevitable:
the plug would ooze out of my ear just enough to make it ineffective,
or it would remain in place and be painful !
Turns out that my ear canals are quite narrow and take a sharp bend ÔÇô
universal fit plugs just won't work for me.
Years ago, I was fitted with a custom molded set ÔÇô and these problems were solved.

Silence is GOLDEN !

Nope, no audio for me while riding ...
the distraction would only interrupt quality "meditation time".

The only place, however where I do get as close to silence as possible is on the bike with the earplugs in. .........

this thread is refreshing, to say the least. You women have some good words
Same thing happened to me here, except loss my previously only good left ear is about 50 db (I presume yours is 30 db?)

It's really good karma to read how the other half enjoys M/Cs too.

Just catching up on this forum after being offline for 2 days for BMW MOA stuff. I missed you - and feel, now, like I am home.

As far as the earplugs and music thread - I always wear earplugs, and never listen to music. I long for the solitude if the bike, and I find myself "burning a lot of brush" as I ride.

Almost home

Well, I logged on a couple days ago to find this forum......very nice! I'm almost back from my vacation time....17 days mostly solo on the bike, home less than 48 hours and then a car trip to help my newly unemployed SO move his stuff.

I've been riding about 4 years and am on my third bike. Two in the garage now, other sold.

I did the 3 Flags Classic this year from Mexicali to Lethbridge, Alberta and then went up to Lake Louise and Jasper National Parks, and came home the long way needing to bag a few northern CA National Parks for the California Parks Adventure. That took 17 days....my longest road trip.

What did I learn? Use paper maps to check Ms Garmin. :laugh:laugh After about 2 hours or 85 miles on a nicely paved road national forest road, the last 7 miles were dirt and gravel. There was no way I was turning back though. My RT with GSing! It did really well but has the same problem as my GS, it falls when it comes to a complete stop, the back wheel slid, and down we went. But then so did the ZX 14 that was with me that day. No injuries, lots of fun. A few more battle scars on the sidecase, so big deal.

I'll catch up with the forum when next weekend when I'm finally home. Great to meet you all!

I am finally home, after spending the summer on the bike. What a fantastic time, but it's great to be home!

Can't wait to hear about your adventures, Beemergirl! Love your sense of humor!

Voni
sMiling

Speaking of books...................
Well, Helen mentioned it.
Anyway, does anyone remember the author that spoke at Voni's seminar at the National this past summer? I hoped to order her books, but don't even remember her name.:hungover

Speaking of books...................
Well, Helen mentioned it.
Anyway, does anyone remember the author that spoke at Voni's seminar at the National this past summer? I hoped to order her books, but don't even remember her name.:hungover

Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I find that I talk to myself quite abit if im not listenig to music while riding. Nothing crazy... It starts with my mind rambling on the random stuff that infiltrated my one of my senses, then I'll get a saying or a verse of a song stuck in my head which in return I start reciting them in different pitches and tones...

when i was a kid with a paper route, i had scenarios and roll playing to pass the time while throwing papers. I think it all stems from there.

I like to have the option of music if I'm in the mood while riding. I keep a little ipod shuffle in the jacket pocket.

I like this "room." It's comfy here.... my friends are here, and I can feel pretty confident that I won't be on the receiving end of someone's "rant".

Over the last several days, in another part of the forum, things have gotten a little ugly. I'm glad I can come back in here to breathe, relax with my friends, and remember why I volunteered to serve in this fine club.

And so - here is a big thanks to Karen, Steve, Irene, Voni, and anyone else who hung in there to make this "room" happen. It keeps me grounded.

Back