Thread: What's changed?

Rally Rat

What's changed?

Years ago in another lifetime, I rode pillion. Never wore a helmet, wore some ratty old boots and a leather jacket. Fast forward many years. Now that I ride my own bike, my comfort level won't let me go for a ride without a helmet, armored gear and a good pair of boots and gloves.

What's changed? I never gave it a thought years ago. I've been told that I've been brainwashed!

I'll tell you one thing, for sure, I have a new found appreciation for the rider when I'm on the back of a bike. I still love to ride pillion (never knew that is what is was called way back then) but there is something about riding your own bike.

Was there ever a time when you didn't give it a second thought?

Thanks for adding this to the forum! I do ride pillion and didn't know what it meant either. Actually, I didn't ride at all before 7 years ago. Love it. I don't mind riding on the back for one minute.

Tina
    Tina

This will be fun. And I will celebrate the new forum by starting my 8k ride tomorrow.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    This will be fun. And I will celebrate the new forum by starting my 8k ride tomorrow.
    Whoo hoo!!! You have a wonderful time and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Copilot View Post
    Thanks for adding this to the forum! I do ride pillion and didn't know what it meant either. Actually, I didn't ride at all before 7 years ago. Love it. I don't mind riding on the back for one minute.

Tina
    Welcome Copilot! Stop by anytime.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

womanridge This will be fun. And I will celebrate the new forum by starting my 8k ride tomorrow.
    Enjoy!! Safe travels !!

HELEN

Talking Pill or Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sudani View Post
    I'll tell you one thing, for sure, I have a new found appreciation for the rider when I'm on the back of a bike. I still love to ride pillion (never knew that is what is was called way back then) but there is something about riding your own bike.
    Okay...

Pillion: from the latin pellis meaning animal skin

This can refer to the seat (rear or secondary seat on a motorcycle) or the person actually riding back there. In the olden days several animal skins were piled behind the horses saddle to make it more comfortable for the passenger to sit... not much of that romantic, swinging the beautiful maiden up onto the saddle (horn?) in front of you and riding off into the sunset going on back then. It was carried forward to motorcycles.

Pylon: from a latin reference to Egyptian architecture meaning a support at a temple doorway.... a truncated obelisk.

American usage- traffic cone

Usually bright orange, and sitting in the street to warn drivers or direct traffic.

So... which one do you want to be? Me? neither but if I had my druthers I'd rather not be in the middle of traffic unable to get away by myself. :-)

HELEN

Thumbs up Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Have a great ride! We all expect to hear about your adventures when you get back so take notes!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Have a great ride! We all expect to hear about your adventures when you get back so take notes!
    ...and lots of pictures! Have tons of fun.

Karen, it was great meeting up with you at the Dells. I can't wait to follow your travels on this trip.

Susan,

I'm scared to ride pillion. I thought you were asking about ATTGATT. Yes, there was a time when full gear for me meant a pair of sneakers, bluejeans and a T-shirt; sometimes a jean jacket. Back when I learned to ride, we certainly didn't have all the nifty gear we have now.

I won't ride now without a full coverage helmet, gloves, boots and padded, abrasion resistant gear, except perhaps to pull the bike into the garage. So, yes, there was a time when I didn't give it a second thought, but I was "just a kid."

Have a fun and safe trip!
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Rally Rat
    Bullett,

Hi and thanks for dropping in to see what we're all about here in the new forum. I hope you come back often.

When I only rode pillion back in the 80's and 90's, I was uncertain of riding myself. I did it once with the idea that I should be able to get us home should the rider not be able to do so. Did it once after practicing in a parking lot but was never put in the position of having to do it so the step up to doing the driving didn't happen until recently.

Riding my own bike now lets me enjoy being both a rider and a passenger. I must admit, there must be a level of confidence in the person I'm riding with or I wouldn't be on that bike.

Pillion Rider!

I once rode from Omaha NB to Toronto Ontario, non-stop (well yes we had pee breaks) on the back of a 1985 Goldwing.

Since then I am not much of a pillion rider and much prefer my own bike.

Did I mention how sore my butt was at the end of the 1200kms!

Thumbs up

Sue,

For me, it was having kids and a spouse and responsibilities. When I first started riding I didn't wear much beyond a leather jacket and maybe boots and sunglasses. Rode like that for years. Bought a helmet once to soothe my father's gripes but barely wore it. When I got married I started teaching my wife to ride but then we got pregnant and that ended that and essentially ended my riding for the better part of 7 years. By the time I got back into it, my son was old enough to ride on the back and there was no way I was putting him there without a helmet and jacket and anything else I could find to give him every chance to survive should anything happen. It was then that I realized that I had to do the same thing for myself. My wife feels the same way.
    Nik #140220 - '95 R1100RSL | '88 K75C | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Rally Rat
    It's amazing how when we become parents our thinking changes when it comes to riding a motorcycle. I don't remember that being the issue during my marriage. In order to free up the car for my use, the ex rode his bike to work and school. I think what changed for us was he got a real job after graduating and raising 4 boys his interests changed for a while. Once all the little league coaching was over and there were no more games/practices to attend....it was back to riding and I was happy about it.

I should of taken up his offer to have my own bike way back then! (Stupid me!)

Not Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by sudani View Post
    It's amazing how when we become parents our thinking changes when it comes to riding a motorcycle. I don't remember that being the issue during my marriage. In order to free up the car for my use, the ex rode his bike to work and school. I think what changed for us was he got a real job after graduating and raising 4 boys his interests changed for a while. Once all the little league coaching was over and there were no more games/practices to attend....it was back to riding and I was happy about it.

I should of taken up his offer to have my own bike way back then! (Stupid me!)

I don't think it has anything to do with stupidity. Different times and different priorities for sure. I didn't grow up around motorcycles and it is only since I met the man who is now my husband in 2001 that I have progressed from fear to sidecar passenger to pillion and for the last 6 years riding my own bike. I'm so glad I had the courage to make such a dramatic change in my life! This womens section of the forum is fantastic. I love to hear the stories and the trip logs.
    Well behaved women seldom make history.
    Kathryn_________________________________________
    2002 R1150R yellow