• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How would you Modernize an R100RS?

and yet another:

35_zoom.jpg

Tottimori​

Yeah that's one of my fave's. Almost went with something derivative on my R100R project... Nice.

Here it is!

CX500Chop.jpg

Here is proof that ANYTHING is possible. (Not for wimps!)

Just think of what this guy to do for an old R100RS!
I am SO giving that to my neighbor! He rides a stock CX daily and he has a parts bike just ripe for a conversion! I'd use different bars ... :groovy

Have you seen a stock CX500? Even this is doing it a favor. ;)

especially in Wisconsin. replace the paint job with harley colors and put HD emblems on it and no one will no the difference.

Hence the Barley Davidson ...

Attachments

• BarleyDavidson.jpg
    BarleyDavidson.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 464
...At the same time, maintainability has remained excellent (even for home mechanics) and the basic character and configuration has been evolutionary. The same principles I use to maintain my /2 will work on my hexheads. It's really quite remarkable.

I disagree. The oilheads are much more complex in terms of maintenance for the home mechanic. I hope to get there, but it'll still be a couple years. Airheads, on the other hand are pretty straight-forward for the home mechanic in me. Just my $0.02.

(I lust for an oilhead RT though, even though I wonder how much I'd ride my Airhead if I had an oilhead).

+1 on not doing anything to an RS to modernize it. It is a work of art appropriate for its time and I like that.

I disagree. The oilheads are much more complex in terms of maintenance for the home mechanic. I hope to get there, but it'll still be a couple years. Airheads, on the other hand are pretty straight-forward for the home mechanic in me.
Curious -- what do you think is that much harder about hexheads? I have both, and don't find much difference in complexity or level of difficulty -- some things are harder/easier with one vs. the other, but overall seems about the same to me.

HEXed

Curious -- what do you think is that much harder about hexheads? I have both, and don't find much difference in complexity or level of difficulty -- some things are harder/easier with one vs. the other, but overall seems about the same to me.

Much experience with air-heads,
2 years with a Hex ...

and I agree with mneblett ÔÇô 100%.
One may choose to own an air-head for many valid reasons,
ease of maintenance will not be one of them.

or, in the words of Teddy Roosevelt:
"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

QUOTE 'or, in the words of Teddy Roosevelt:
"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"[/QUOTE]

Its was FDR, not Teddy Roosevelt

What about this Australian effort? R100R modified front end. 18" front wheel, late model swing arm, braced rear sub frame. Longer rear shocks. Motor has had a little work too.
Apparently handles like it is on rails.

694423335_vWGaD-M.jpg

Still thinking about this project??

I need to find some suitable forks that are larger diameter and have better internals than stock and go from there. I want to keep spoke wheels front and rear and run disc rear brake. Still run the 19" front but with 320mm discs.

Just found this one on Bmbikes

R100RS%20-%20Eriksson.JPG

Hi, John,
So YOU bought the bike from Lyle Butler's estate in El Paso! Did you get the extra fairing, too? I was interested, but at that time it was out of my price range. Years earlier Lyle and I were both in the (defunct) BMW club in El Paso, the Sunbeemers. He sold me the original exhaust system after San Jose put the 40mm exhaust on the bike.

Actually, I bought the bike that Lyle Butler owned. I used to live in Lubbock and the owners of High Planes BMW bought the bike about 98 or 99. When I saw it I told them if it ever came up for sale, I would like to buy it.

About 18 months ago it came up for sale. I now live in St. Louis but bought it anyway. A friend brought it up to me. I have the paperwork from San Jose when they did all the work on the bike in 85. It still looks and rides like new. Since I got it also added floating rotors and ceramic brakes, as well did all the service and put in a new clutch. The old clutch was fine, except a rear seal in the engine saturated it. I also replace that with the other seals.

No, the faring stayed in Lubbock because one of the previous owners of the shop also has a Motorsport and wanted to keep it. I do have both seats though, the ?¥ and full seat, both in blue.

Love the bike.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I've been taking a break from posting for the last few months but it's time for me to get back in the swing of things and get some "work" done, s I'll be back in the garage for a few evenings every week from now till riding season begins.

So "Pezz", about your project:

As long as you're aware of the growing expense of building a hot rod Airhead and the long hours involved, I'd say go ahead with your plans.

OTOH, having been down that road myself.... Well.... I'm tired but not too tired to make a handful of suggestions, so here goes.

LATESTFULLFILE002.jpg

Firstly, if you know for sure that the frames straight, Buy one of my frame bracing kits and weld it into the bare frame and sub frame. It'll make the frame much stiffer and more stable than stock and no one will ever notice that it's there. Theres one installed in the bike pictured above, but no one would ever know until they rode the bike. I had a friend design the parts and all I can say is that I love my bike. It really is the best handling Airhead that I've ever ridden.

Add dual front brakes if your bike doesn't have em, fresh disks, a billet top clamp, a Telefix, a complete fork rebuild with new fork legs and Progressive springs and some 2 weight oil, and you're pretty much "there" without spending a fortune. The other relatively cheap solution is to swap on a GSXR front end and be done with it.

Want eye candy? I'm about to advertise my newly designed side braces. A complete update of the old CC Products idea, but stronger and modern including billet machined, removable ends, SS hardware and you can adjust the length. They're pretty nice!

Here are the ones installed on my RS:

81R-100RS073.jpg

I currently have an 82 R100RS engine being freshened up for the R-90 (Yes, my stupid, incompetent local Airhead mechanic, ruined my 900cc engine. Stay tuned. The court date is coming up shortly!:mad)

I'm going to rebuild it with the 14,000 mi engine with freshened connecting rods, 1000cc Nic cylinders, Hi Comp pistons, a set of early RS Big Valve heads, 40mm Bings, Staintuned pipes, an Omega electronic ignition, vintage covers from the R-90, an R-90S 33/11 rear end and thats about all. I'm throwing on the R-90 Speedo and I'll have an electronic tach converted to blackface to match the older guages. Just about anything else that I can think of doing presents a compromise in ridability and an accompanying decrease in reliability.

Back in 1989 when I was living in VA, my roommate owned an R-100S with the whole CC Products catalog thrown at it (Big Valve heads, 1050 kit, ported heads, flat slides, etc, etc, etc.) Truthfully, it was a very fast bike out on the road but under most conditions (And especially in traffic.), it wasn't much fun to ride. In the end it ate itself, as do most 1050's.

Example:

Running the Big Valve heads (44mm intakes, 40mm Exhausts.) will make the bike slower off the line, because the big valves tend to 'come on' as the flow goes up. The high compression slugs will compensate for that to some extent but not 100%. Adding in a 336 cam, (That makes power at relatively high rpms.) does the same thing and will make the bike even slower off the line but big fun out on the road. Me? I'm going to run the 40mm Bings for a while before trying out the Delorto's. As allways, therein lies one more compromise. The Dels are 38mm R-90 units and with a set of venturied San Jose stubs in place, its possible to keep the gas velocity up for good acceleration but then again, the decreased aperture kills top end.

81R-100RS020.jpg

Of course, my thinking might change but right now I'm tired of wrenching on bikes for a while and I've even thought about selling the Airheads and buying a Honda. Seriously...

As a last thought....

Last Spring I rebuilt a 'barn find' 82RS and rode it from Nor Cal to both National Rallys, New port News, Canada and back to NorCal. On the old RS I rebuilt the Front end , welded on a set of newly manufactured side braces, new shocks, a Toaster Tan top clamp a Telefix, SS brake lines, new Metzlers, and a new seat. The bike proved to be fast, stable as a rock at through the Rockies, the Blue Ridge Mountains, Deals Gap (Several times!) Wyoming and back home over the Sierras.

The RS is a real thoroughbred and is, in many ways, the best of the breed. As such, an they don't need many "improvements" to give exemplary service and great riding satisfaction.

I'll be interested in seeing what you build!

Later,

Mymindsok

PS: You can check out my parts at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11940086#post11940086

Last edited:
Back