• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wisconsin/ UP suggestions

K1150RT

Planning to ride from north central Iowa through WI and the UP and maybe take the Luddington Ferry back across Lake Michigan next week. Myself on my R1150RT and a coworker on his ST1100. Not planning on burning up the miles, probably 250 -275 miles per day. We want to leave some time to see the sites also. We were looking at taking a diagonal across WI to Houghton area, then east across southern Lake Superior and drop down to northern Lake Michigan, cross the bridge and head south to Luddington, take the ferry and diagonal across WI back to IA.

Is the ferry worth it or should we just run on the northern edge of the UP and travel back on the southern edge and then run south on the west edge of Lake Michigan.

Any suggestions on routes, must see, food and stays appreciated. Thanks.

TONS of info already out there.
Use the search window.

Peace!

G

A few thoughts: bring warm clothing. It will be cold up there along the shoreline! Secondly, if you go over by Houghton, make the trip out to Copper Harbor. It's a beautiful ride on great roads. There's plenty to see both along Lake Superior and Lake Michigan, although I think the Lake Superior shore is the prettier of the two. Head over to Munising to see the Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore. Continue along the lake shore as much as you can clear over to Sault St. Marie to see the gigantic tankers move through the locks. Then down to St. Ignace, where you'll have to decide whether to cross the bridge and head for the ferry or head home along the northern shore of Lake Michigan.

If you want to take the ferry check the schedules. I just read that one of them is shutting down early this year. The ride down 119 from Cross Village to Harbor Springs will be stunning if you catch the colors, but is beautiful most any time of year. You can follow the shoreline along 31 and 22. I really like 22 from Northport down to Empire. another pretty road, through hilly country with wide, sweeping turns.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Watch out for deer! It's that time of year and there ae lots of them!

Last edited:
Ferry

On a calm day the ferry is great, however if the waves are rolling, be on guard.
On the way back from the Vermont Rally I took the ferry back and I understand why it got it's nickname "vomit comet".

That Big Bridge . . . .

Watch out for winds on the bridge. It is an open deck and the crosswinds can be scary. It is a five mile span I believe so you are exposed for a long time.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb:thumb

A few thoughts: bring warm clothing. It will be cold up there along the shoreline! Secondly, if you go over by Houghton, make the trip out to Copper Harbor. It's a beautiful ride on great roads. There's plenty to see both along Lake Superior and Lake Michigan, although I think the Lake Superior shore is the prettier of the two. Head over to Munising to see the Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore. Continue along the lake shore as much as you can clear over to Sault St. Marie to see the gigantic tankers move through the locks. Then down to St. Ignace, where you'll have to decide whether to cross the bridge and head for the ferry or head home along the northern shore of Lake Michigan.

If you want to take the ferry check the schedules. I just read that one of them is shutting down early this year. The ride down 119 from Cross Village to Harbor Springs will be stunning if you catch the colors, but is beautiful most any time of year. You can follow the shoreline along 31 and 22. I really like 22 from Northport down to Empire. another pretty road, through hilly country with wide, sweeping turns.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Watch out for deer! It's that time of year and there ae lots of them!

What he said plus stay on 22 all the way down to Manistee...

If you want to take the ferry check the schedules. I just read that one of them is shutting down early this year.
From Ludington to Manitowoc, there is only one ferry. [The high speed runs out of Milwaukee.] The Lake Michigan Carferry is shutting down early this year, but I think that's the two weeks in October they usually run. There are some specials going on because it's been a slow season. You must bring your own tie-down straps and I think they have you strap your bikes in place. Less liability for them.

PM me and/or Randy (Manic Mechanic) for lunch here in Manitowoc, and plan on seeing the submarine we have parked in the river.

Back