• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jesse Bags & R1150R- thoughts?.

pete43011

I'm contemplating adding Jesse bags to '04 Roadster that presently has BMW bags and rear rack.
Have any of y'all done this?
Comments?
Epix would really be appreciated- especially of the Jesse "rack" that will replace BMW's device

Pete43011 said:
I'm contemplating adding Jesse bags to '04 Roadster that presently has BMW bags and rear rack.
Have any of y'all done this?
Comments?
Epix would really be appreciated- especially of the Jesse "rack" that will replace BMW's device

I think that if you did that it would be a case of function over form.

As so succinctly put by the ever tactful Mark, "UGLY" pretty much sums up my opinion as well... If you need the Jesse Bags, you need a GS. Happy Shopping!!

RW

To the repondents thus far...
- "function over form", yes!
- "ugly", beauty is in the eyes of the beholder it's been said.
Lighten up guys- I'm simply trying to buid a bike that's useful for my intended purpose.
More and durable cargo capacity suits that purpose.
I don't need GS capabilities, we mostly just mill around the backroads of the US.
I'd really like to hear from some folks that have done this and see some pictures of their "conversions".

Pete43011 said:
To the repondents thus far...
- "function over form", yes!
- "ugly", beauty is in the eyes of the beholder it's been said.
Lighten up guys- I'm simply trying to buid a bike that's useful for my intended purpose.

I can respect that. Also check out Moto-Sport Panniers. Different look.

MarkF

Pete43011 said:
I'd really like to hear from some folks that have done this and see some pictures of their "conversions".

Pete - a member of our club, the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Georgia, did this application to their R1100R.... but sorry, I don't have any pictures.

I thought it looked good, and this person used the set-up for exactly the same purpose you intend.

No, their not sportin' but they sure do carry *a lot* more than the stock bags.... and are narrower, to boot!

The bike was sold a few years back, but I will ask for pics and post them here if I get them.

Ian

If you are only concrned about function, and looks just aren't that big of a concern... At the Paonia rally there was a bike with two Army ammo cans bolted to a piece of wood that was attached to the bike... oh how I wish I had a picture! VERY functional. Those cans are quite tough and waterproof! Cheap as well...

RW

At a local rally...

I saw a 90's something Suzuki GS500 with the big aluminum panniers. It looked ugly as hell, but the guy had added other things for touring as well like extra lighting, etc.

He was ready for anything on that little Suzuki.

Motorcycling is without question an ego trip, and if the dollars per ego stroke satisfies you, that is all there is to it.

Pete,
I have often wondered the same thing and have searched (without any luck) for a picture of such. In my mind it wouldn't look to bad. and I'm sure I would prefer the the Jesse bags over the BMW's. currently I have the BMW city bags, which are ok for around town. But if I get serious I may well look at the Jesse system. Go for it,

Den

I think there's a guy from the R1150R.net site that has them fitted
You could check there for pictures

Paul Glaves had them mounted on his R1150R at the MOA Rally in Spokane and was very happy with them, he also uses the top case. There is also a picture in there brochure.

I like the look of Jesse Bags. They've got that "industrial chic" thing going for them. Kinda Bauhaus.

Back