• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need info, Sudbury Canada area

leadfoot

Cheers all,

The wife and I leave next weekend for a two week stay at her Uncles new home in Sudbury Canada. We used to go to the Toronto area, but he moved. I had been wanting to take the RT with me for some riding on some of those beautiful roads, but I am unsure of the roads and their quality in the Sudbury area. Anyone familiar with the area who has advice on whether it will be worth taking the bike would be helpful. Right now I am leaning toward leaving it home unless I can get a good ride report from the area.

Thanks, jim

I would take the bike. The roads have always been good anytime I've been there. Remember It's further north than you and the season is winding down but if you pick your days I don't think you'll be disapointed. Have a good time.

Sudbury Ontario Riding

Hello Jim,

I am a resident of Sudbury Ontario. I can tell you that the roads within the city are currently undergoing some pretty heavy construction. Unfortunately most of these roads are main thoroughfares within the city, so they are hard to avoid. I ride a 2008 R1200GS and I am thankful as it is the only bike that can adequately handle our roads at the moment. I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic and it does not do well on our roads. Having said all this, the highways are great and very scenic. I would suggest that when you are here you ride west from Sudbury along Highway 17 and take Hwy 6 south down to Manitoulin Island. The Stretch of Hwy 6 from Espanola to Little Current, the first town you encounter when you reach Manitoulin, is my favourite ride in this area. The bridge to Manitoulin, along Hwy 6 is an old fashioned swing bridge that is still operating today. That bridge and a ferry that docks at South Bay Mouth on the south coast of the Island are the only ways onto the Island.

If you want to make contact with me while you are here, I am happy to give you some pointers.

Best wishes,

Scott

Jim
Where do you live?
I have done the ride up there several times. From Southern WI to Ste St Marie, over to Espanola and down to South Baymouth. I agree, some great scenery, not really challenging riding but a really nice trip.
Throw in a few details on what you're after.
I could see going from Ste St Marie, over to Sudbury, back to Espenola and south to South Baymouth, taking the ferry to Tobermory, then head home from there. Really nice area but I agree the season is going to be wrapping up there before you know it!

Thanks for the info guys, Gilly I live on the mississippi Gulf Coast. We had been to Cambridge many times when my wifes uncle lived there, but this is our first trek to Sudbury, his new home. I am on the fence about taking the bike, reasons being the amount of time I will have to ride, and the schedule my wife has for us on the trip. She does not ride. So I guess I will wait until the night before and make a decision. Scott, if I see a fellow on a GS dodging craters in the road I will give you a wave. And if you see a truck from Mississippi going the wrong way, that will be me.

Back