• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many defunct BMW dealerships have you dealt with??

All,

Let's get past old vs. new and consider those lost/defunct dealerships that we may have frequented. I'll start with my list;

1) Sholly's BMW in Harrisburg, PA - I purchased a R80ST and a set of BMW leathers from them. The set of leathers was later sold to Dennis Gage who has/had a cable TV show called "My Classic Car".

2) Frank's BMW in Mountville, PA - I purchased a 1986 K75c from them in the Spring of 1986 and I think the BMW dealership was closed by that fall.

3) Country BMW in Mountoursville, PA - They did the 600 mile service on the K75c, then dropped the dealership before my 5000 mile service.

4) A shop in Windber, PA whose name I can no longer remember. They were very reasonable and did many services on my K75c. As I recall, the dealership died in the mid 90's.

5-6) San Jose BMW and Competition Accesories (which was a BMW dealership) in Xenia, OH - I did lots of mail order businees with those folks.

7) Heritage BMW in McKeesport, PA became my service shop after the demise of the Windber dealership. It appears that they have followed the lead of the shop in Windber and passed into dealership heaven.

That's seven defunct dealerships that I've dealt with in the past 24 yrs. If I would include the local shops that dropped BMW during the transition from Butler & Smith to BMW NA, the number would ~10. Of course, the B&S days were prior to my ownership of any BMW products.

Your turn.

Competition Accessories, bought my K75s there in 86, they still sell HondaKawYamis,
lawn mowers & god knows what, but no BMWs. Hard to say if BMW dropped them or
they just got tired of all the anal retentive BMW customers. Then there was Dayton
BMW Ducati, then they moved Troy and closed, then tri state in Cincy, now there are none.
Anyone know Jeff Nutter, ace BMW wrench?

I am currently dealing with two defunct dealerships. "Cycle Clinic" in Des Moines, Iowa and, "Ned's Auto" and Cycle in Riverside, Iowa. Both quit selling BMW in the early 90's I believe, during the time when BMW was pushing the dealers to stock and sell more inventory. This was, however, before my move to Iowa.

Cycle Clinic is now primarily a purveyor and installer of tires and brakes for which they have no peer. Ned's is run and owned by Jim Figgins, the son of Ned whom was the original owner. He is a wonderful airhead mechanic and a fountain of knowledge. Ned's sells Guzzi and Hyosong (Sp?). He also sells BMW parts and works on airheads.

BMW lost a lot when they lost these two dealers. There are presently two dealers in Iowa. Each more than a hundred miles distant.

I am planning a return to the western states. If I purchase another BMW will in part be determined by the location of a nearby dealership, if any. This is my primary "gripe" with BMW. There once were more dealers.

Last edited:
-the Yammie/BMW dealer in Manchester, CT (no clue on their name- Manchester Yamaha?). They didn't even have air filters for a /6 when i did a tuneup on my buddy's bike, circa 1980something. No huge loss, imho.
-Ralph Strong in Waterford, CT. Bought my R69S in boxes from a mechanic who worked there. They closed sometime in the vicinity of 1990. had also been a Triumph dealership.
-Lindner Cycles in New Canaan, CT. That was a recent closure, just in the last 5 years. Bought a K75 from them, good for service as well. Their staff is still around, a few of them working at Cliff's in Danbury, last i knew.
-Canton Cycles in Canton, CT (and subsequently known as Canton Cycles in Winsted after they moved). Ralph sold his BMW portion of the business to Gengras Volvo, which had opened a Harley dealership in the Hartford area.
-no idea if Frank DeGray in Rockville area is still in operations. I think he's too damn ornery to up & die, so he's probably still wrenching. A classic New England curmudgeon, sold BMWs and Triumph out of his closet of a shop. i doubt that corporate would consider his place as meeting the standards of BMW dealership styling.
-there was a small shop in Putnam back in the late 70's that sold Beemers. my buddy bought a R90/6 from them. when it was time to change the battery, they told him they'd have to cut the subframe to get the battery out. i am sure they are belly up for quite some time.
So at one time, CT had 6 dealerships, now they're down to 2.
that is not a good trend.

Last edited:
5-6) San Jose BMW and Competition Accesories (which was a BMW dealership) in Xenia, OH - I did lots of mail order businees with those folks.

What makes you think that San Jose BMW is a defunct dealer?

When I lived in the Seattle area, I did most of my business with Cascade BMW.

What makes you think that San Jose BMW is a defunct dealer?

When I lived in the Seattle area, I did most of my business with Cascade BMW.

I think there was period of no San Jose in the mid to late 90's. In the mid to late 80's, they were are major supplier of aftermarket Airhead parts and a supporter of a racing team. Of course, I could be wrong.

Just as an aside, it's interesting to hear that BMW forced dealers out. I think the greater reason was technology and old age. It's no longer a time when a dealer can operate a BMW shop, sell and service the present models with a set of Craftsman tools. This is a different time, a different century, and an investment of more than an unused garage in a small town and good intentions.
I don't endorse this turn of events, and I miss the feeling of the old days and my bullet proof (heh) '78 Motorsport R100RS...

Oh and there was...
Underwood's in St. Joseph, IL and Wilber's in Linton, IN (he is still there and will help you with your airhead and maybe some later BMW models).

1) Tri-State BMW Cincinnati
2) Competition Accessories Xenia think they moved to Springfield and are only a accessories dealer now
3) The BMW store on Stewart Rd. Cincinnati.

Newest first in this list.:violin

I think there was period of no San Jose in the mid to late 90's. In the mid to late 80's, they were are major supplier of aftermarket Airhead parts and a supporter of a racing team. Of course, I could be wrong.

They split into two parts, but they're both still around. Look at the CC products at the San Jose BMW website. They're also still racing.

The airhead upgrade folks that did go under is Luftmeister. They were an independent business and then I believe they got folded into a Southern California Triumph dealership and stopped making BMW parts.

Gone but not forgotten for various reasons:
Heritage in the Pittsburgh Area: Craig was a good guy, sorry to see the demise of his business

BMW or Boca: Boca Raton Fl., not missed at all. Never had a positive experience in this shop: service, parts, accessories and attempts to buy a new bike.

Most tragic demise: Larry at BMW Orlando. He was a great guy and really ran a tight ship. His staff were well trained and friendly. Things changed after the takeover by BMW or Daytona, but they are still a good shop with a great parts and service operation.

I was in the Orlando shop once and met Larry about a year before he was hurt. Really nice guy and a great shop. So sorry to hear of his passing.

1. Kegel - Rockford IL
2. Smitty's - Rock Island IL
3. South Suburban - Chicago Heights IL
4. Tag - Geneva IL
5. Graboy - Peoria IL
6. ? (I can't remember the name) - Springfield IL

I can't speak to the reasons or rumors of why they are no longer, but it is a shame.

And Laurel in Westmont, Il (pre Tag)

I think the dealership sold (cars) and the new owner did not want the bikes.

Stan's Cycle Shop in Doylestown, Pa. You'd never have stumbled into this place on your own but they did great work. (Was it Old Trenton Road?) Stan was a nice guy. I had my R69s serviced here and bought an r100cs from him. His wife did all of the paperwork. Once one of the mechanics said I needed tires but I couldn't afford them as I was in grad school. "Send me a check when you can." and he put 'em on.

CycleSmith BMW (owned by Bill Smith, hence the name) originally in a small shop on rte 130 N outside of Dayton, NJ. He later moved to Hamilton Square and a bunch of us helped him to set up the shop. He bought pizzas and we sanded then shellacked the floor one Sat afternoon. I used to go over there on Saturdays and mind the counter while he made a pick-up or delivery. Bought two R100RS's from him; one last edition, and then a K100RS.

RK BMW in south Jersey. Some of the guys from there are now at DeSimones. Bought my R1100S from them. IIRC they were not in business for long.

A different twist:

This thread starts with someone counting five local dealers lost; and he still has options.

We have one dealer in the entire state; and it's changed hands a few times.

With the last move upscale; service went downhill.

It's hard to relate.

Back