• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many defunct BMW dealerships have you dealt with??

A different twist:

This thread starts with someone counting five local dealers lost; and he still has options.

We have one dealer in the entire state; and it's changed hands a few times.

With the last move upscale; service went downhill.

It's hard to relate.

No argument from me. One dealer in a large western state is a stupid business plan.

i suspect the ratio of "dealers to state" is done on a per capita basis, not a per square mile basis.
not saying its the best way to go, but from an earnings standpoint (and the business does have to make its $ to remain a business), it makes more sense.
CT pop = approx 3.5 million (2 dealers). Montana pop = < 1 million (1? dealer). CO (current residency) = 5 million (5 dealers).
that kinda sounds like 1 dealer per million population, give or take.
Maybe if ya'll would like to get more dealers in MT, some of ya'll had better get busy doing something besides riding bikes, horses or sheep. :dance

I am all for 1 per million but we seem to be going backward in Illinois. By the population we have 12.9 million people but are down from approx 9 to 3 dealers. I am equal distance between the one downstate IL dealer and one in MO.

No complaints with either of those two from me. I miss being able to stop in the different dealers while in those towns on business.

i suspect the ratio of "dealers to state" is done on a per capita basis, not a per square mile basis.
not saying its the best way to go, but from an earnings standpoint (and the business does have to make its $ to remain a business), it makes more sense.
CT pop = approx 3.5 million (2 dealers). Montana pop = < 1 million (1? dealer). CO (current residency) = 5 million (5 dealers).
Maybe if ya'll would like to get more dealers in MT, some of ya'll had better get busy doing something besides riding bikes, horses or sheep. :dance

OK, I got your point and I'm pretty sure your 100% correct about BMW's distribution of dealers. However, when you live beyond the burbs, getting service can be a royal pain. In my experience, some dealers will tell you that they want the bike overnight to do a routine service (valve adjust and such). That's fine when they're across town, but a different story when they're 3-hrs away.

We like room to ride.
A decline in dealer service is easily fixed by switching to one of the brands that wants our business.

Defunct Dealers

Orange county cycle, Orange Texas, bought my first BMW there, R75/6.
BMW screwed them over and gave a franchise to the Harley dealer in Beaumont and the Orange store dropped them. Wonderful german couple owned the shop, also sold Suzuki. The Harley dealer didn't last either.

Old BMW dealer in Houston forgot name. Bought K75 there.
Lyle Lovett BMW on 59 in Houston.
BMW of North Houston. Built a boutique shop then opened another one in South Houston. Both went belly up. Don't know the details.

At least we still have Gulf Coast BMW-Triumph and Katy BMW-Honda-Kawa-Ktm-?

PerryÔÇÖs Motorcycles and sidecars, originally BMW of FT Worth TX but no longer an authorized dealer...
Doc's in Colorado Springs CO.
High Plains BMW Lubbock TX (sad to see them go...outstanding bunch of people)
LidnerÔÇÖs in CT.
StormÔÇÖs in Grand Prarie TX (All that talent and enthusiasm gone).
BMW of St. Louis helped me put my sidecar together
Toad Motors...anyone remember them?
I just looked in the Owners Anonymous book and Motorsport in Albuquerque is not listed any more! I am amazed...they sold a lot of BMW's over the years.

These were shops that promoted the sport and lifestyle of motorcycling, not just the brand and I for one miss them and the people that made them tic.

I just looked in the Owners Anonymous book and Motorsport in Albuquerque is not listed any more! I am amazed...they sold a lot of BMW's over the years.
I live within walking distance of this place, when it sold the BMW franchise the 2nd longest continuous BMW dealer in the USA.

It has been replaced by the local BMW car dealer and I suspect 110% of all BMW riders in NM are ecstatic and less than 0% miss the old place.

The former was a combined dealership, and except for one in-the-background parts person, the average employment of parts and service people there must have been two months and the average age 19. You couldn't trust them to know how to do an oil change.

The car dealer is a true automotive enthusiast and has locations in both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Almost immediately after the Santa Fe location opened it became the biggest BMW motorcycle seller in the state. Service is fantastic. In ABQ, the dealer actually built a standalone building for the motorcycle operation prior to getting the franchise, i.e. on speculation and on what needed to happen.

Our local club just finished its 25th edition of its rally and the new dealer has been a great supporter. Think the previous guys came maybe once or twice only.

In NJ there are two authorized dealers, Cross Counry in the north and DeSimone in the south so it's pretty convenient. And two open houses in a year. But whenever anyone asks me about buying a BMW (or a Duc) I make them aware that theywill not be able to just ride around the corner for service or parts or whatever. For some people this is a show-stopper. It's a shame.

I live within walking distance of this place, when it sold the BMW franchise the 2nd longest continuous BMW dealer in the USA (was gone).

It has been replaced by the local BMW car dealer and I suspect 110% of all BMW riders in NM are ecstatic and less than 0% miss the old place.
I know what you mean about Motorsport. I lived in Albuquerque 14 years 11 of which were as an owner of an airhead BMW motorcycle. I usually avoided that place like the plague. Glad to hear you-all have a dedicated dealer now. I might consider moving back :)

I live in El Paso, TX and have been here, on and off, since 1981. The Schwinn bicycle dealer added BMW bikes to his line in '82. He shut a few years later. Pecos, TX had a BMW dealer for a couple of years in the early-mid '80's. Deming Cycle in Deming, NM told BMW to take a hike in, I believe, 2005. They still sell Honda, Yamaha and Polaris 4-wheelers.

For you who travel west, remember that after you leave San Antonio or Ft. Worth, your next dealer is around 1000 miles away, in Tucson, AZ. My closest dealer is in Albuquerque, NM - 275 miles away. I've ridden BMW bikes for 32 years - since I bought my first one, a '76 R90/6, in 1977. Will I buy a new one? I think not! I can work on an airhead and even on my K75's. But I don't have access to BMW's computer to find out what's wrong with a newer bike.

I live in El Paso, TX and have been here, on and off, since 1981. The Schwinn bicycle dealer added BMW bikes to his line in '82. He shut a few years later. Pecos, TX had a BMW dealer for a couple of years in the early-mid '80's. Deming Cycle in Deming, NM told BMW to take a hike in, I believe, 2005. They still sell Honda, Yamaha and Polaris 4-wheelers.

For you who travel west, remember that after you leave San Antonio or Ft. Worth, your next dealer is around 1000 miles away, in Tucson, AZ. My closest dealer is in Albuquerque, NM - 275 miles away. I've ridden BMW bikes for 32 years - since I bought my first one, a '76 R90/6, in 1977. Will I buy a new one? I think not! I can work on an airhead and even on my K75's. But I don't have access to BMW's computer to find out what's wrong with a newer bike.

Apparently your closest dealer is in Santa Fe now. According to the above posts Albuquerque shut it's doors. Gone, but not lamented.

Midway Motorsports, on the strip between Bismarck and Mandan in ND. (I think they had a couple of different names over the years, this is the name I recall) I have no idea what year they quit selling BMW, but it's been quite a few years.

It was a small volume BMW dealer who made their real money selling HD's and a couple Japanese brands.

I bought my 1986 R80RT new from them. When I went in looking at BMW's, it was the only one sitting on the floor and I had to have it.

You Montanans at least have a dealer, ND currently does not. I guess it's because we have less than 700,000 population. :scratch I don't see that changing anytime soon. So I'm thankful we have a dealership in Sturgis, SD. 235 miles away from my door, but it could be worse.

Hi, Jamesdunn,
The former Albuquerque dealer no longer sells BMW. As Kent said, no one was unhappy when he gave up the BMW franchise. The new BMW dealer, Sandia BMW, is part of the car (BMW and Mini) dealership. They have a MUCH better reputation than the former dealer. I still wouldn't go there (because of the distance, not because I don't like them), but if I were closer or if I had an emergency while traveling and were near Albuquerque (or Santa Fe - same ownership), I would go to them for a repair.

Just off the top of my head... I know there are more:

1. Cyclewerks in Indianapolis
  2. BMW Motorcycles of Indianapolis
  3. Revard BMW Motorcycles (Indianapolis)
  4. Grand Haven (Mich.) BMW
  5. Cincinnati BMW
  6. Paul's BUM W (Oklahoma)
  7. Lonnie's BMW (Linton, Ind.)
  8. Terre Haute BMW
  9. Crossroads BMW (Elkhart, Ind.)

In New Jersey, Amol, Slegers, Touch of Class.

If you live in densely populated North Jersey, Woodcliff Lake say, its a long ride to a BMW MC dealer.

RK BMW Deptford, NJ and Touch of Class Cycles in Central Jersey were a real loss for Beemer riders in that State.

Add to list Hy Mark motorsports in Pueblo, Colorado. Still in business but dropped BMW a few years back.

Add to list Hy Mark motorsports in Pueblo, Colorado. Still in business but dropped BMW a few years back.

Isn't this place owned and a part of the BMW dealership in the Springs? It was at one time. They used to move bikes back and forth. I think the Colo. Springs dealer used to be Doc's. Then was bought out and became part of the enterprise you refer to?

Back