• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Custom Seats

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Does anyone know if there have been any "independent surveys" from owners on various custom seats - significant in number of responses regarding a variety of makes that would help someone get the best custom seat possible? And point me to those results...

I've looked at Rick Mayer, Sargent, Corbin...

I'm currently leaning toward a Rick Mayer seat.
I have a 2008 R1200RT.

I'm currently leaning toward a Rick Mayer seat.

I don't think you will be disappointed with a R. Mayer saddle. I've owned two (one on each of my BMWs). If at all possible have him make it by appointment at his shop outside Redding, CA - you will be better pleased with the whole purchase experience if you do, and may get more of a true 'custom' fit

(I suspect Rick's working definition of custom is more along the lines of small, medium or large. Correct me if I am wrong Rick).

To answer your question, I am not aware of any 'scientific' research on satisfaction of custom saddle purchasers. Every butt is different. It would be tough to generalize the results of such a study to your butt. Heck, some riders even like the stock BMW saddles.

I'd say that your best bet is to sit on a variety of different saddles before you make up your mind.

I currently have both an R. Mayer and a Sargent for my 1100RT. My wife swears by the Mayer while I have a slight preference for the Sargent. Both are all day comfortable.

Good post by Alien. And good advice. Corbin is known for being firm. Having owned a few I would concur.

I just got a seat back redone from Rick Mayer, whom I met at National in TN. The seat is great, highly padded and level, and my original, off an R1200S was a frisbee that always slid me into the tank.

I highly recommend Rick Mayer over many other seat makers.

I've owned six, Day Long saddles (now called The Russell Day Long Saddle): All on BMW's. IMO, they are the best seat available. The inventor and original owner of the company was Rocky Mayer. When he sold the company, he sold the patent on what makes his saddles superior to anything I've ever sat on. Both of his sons now make saddles but can't use the technology that Mr. Mayer patented many years ago. I've read many posts on other forums where riders have bought from other makers only to be disappointed simply because they didn't want to pay the cost for the Russell. Then, they wind up selling the seat that they purchased and bought a Russell. Ask anyone who actually owns or has owned one and see what they say.
http://www.day-long.com/

Last edited:
I've owned six, Day Long saddles (now called The Russell Day Long Saddle): All on BMW's. IMO, they are the best seat available. The inventor and original owner of the company was Rocky Mayer. When he sold the company, he sold the patent on what makes his saddles superior to anything I've ever sat on. Both of his sons now make saddles but can't use the technology that Mr. Mayer patented many years ago. I've read many posts on other forums where riders have bought from other makers only to be disappointed simply because they didn't want to pay the cost for the Russell. Then, they wind up selling the seat that they purchased and bought a Russell. Ask anyone who actually owns or has owned one and see what they say.
http://www.day-long.com/

Actually, it was Bill Mayer that invented the Day Long. His sons Rick and Rocky (Bill Jr.) both make seats today.

DarryllRI: I thought that the father was also called Rocky...........so I just looked up some info on the Mayers and you ARE absolutely correct.
Turns out that the father (now deceased) and Rocky (one of the sons) were both named Bill. I bought my first Mayer seat from the father around 1977- 1978.

Old age at work again on my failing memory.

Last edited:
Back