• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Huh.... What was Honda thinking?

Finally saw and sat on the NV700T today. Not bad. Comfortable riding position and a good seat height. Some of the panels felt a little cheap (Fairing pocket cover and saddle bag plastic) but overall nice looking/feeling bike. Salesman said they were selling too.

Hope BMW is paying attention as another part of the the sport touring pie gets served up by a different manufacturer. Not a good time to lose market share.

Hmm .... K75RS ?????

Ya know, the Honda makes me think fondly of my old K75c. If that bike would've had a RS type fairing, I would probably still be riding it.

The F800 looks nice, but I like a drive shaft.

Ya know, the Honda makes me think fondly of my old K75c. If that bike would've had a RS type fairing, I would probably still be riding it.

The F800 looks nice, but I like a drive shaft.

I bought my first airhead RS in '79. The fairing was the best I've ever used.

There was a dealer "back in the day"(Grassroots?) that use to retro fit the airhead RS fairing on K75 bikes. Not sure how many they did but I owned one for about a year. It looked like it belonged on the bike and was a nice ride

A local Honda/Kawasaki dealer had a demo day today (May 1). I thought this was somewhat strange as in the past I had always been refused test rides on Japanese bikes.

I took a demo ride on the NT700. The test rides were organized in groups with a set route. The route was mainly freeway. I am guessing the route was about 6 to 8 miles in all.

A short ride such as this is helpful in some ways but I have found that I need to live with a bike for a while to determine if it is a fit.

The good: Pretty zippy, but I am on an airhead now so just about anything else would probably feel quicker than the airhead. I raised the windshield to its highest position before the ride. Very little noise, little turbulence, but your arms and shoulders will be in the wind. I would rate the wind protection as pretty good, but I would like to take the same ride on a cold day. I might have a different opinion then. There is a bit of vibration but I would rate the vibration as pretty low and not enough to be a deal breaker. The riding position is about perfect for me.

The bad: On deceleration and coasting, there appears to be a rather loud whine, I guess it is gear whine. I have never heard something like this before so I cannot say for sure what it is. It was a somewhat cool day here today (about 75) and the heat from the engine was noticeable. The seat got warm, my thighs got warm, and I would bet that on a summer day when it hits 95 here this bike will be a hot ride.

Would I buy one? Maybe. Hard for me to say right now.

I also took a ride on an ST 1300. Of course, compared to the NT700, it is a much more refined ride. Excellent shifting. The engine is butter smooth, like sitting on a turbine engine. I did not notice a bit of vibration, at least not in the rev ranges that I was using. The weight of the bike disappeared once under way. Wind protection is pretty good, but again I would like to ride one on a cold day. Like the NT700, engine heat will be a problem. The seat got warm and I could feel the heat on my legs and butt. This may not be a good bike for summer riding in Texas. If money was no object, I would take the ST over the NT700 but only if Honda put it on a diet. Moving such a heavy bike around the garage would be a chore. And, Honda needs to do something about the engine heat reaching the rider.

A local Honda/Kawasaki dealer had a demo day today (May 1). I thought this was somewhat strange as in the past I had always been refused test rides on Japanese bikes.

I took a demo ride on the NT700. The test rides were organized in groups with a set route. The route was mainly freeway. I am guessing the route was about 6 to 8 miles in all.

A short ride such as this is helpful in some ways but I have found that I need to live with a bike for a while to determine if it is a fit.

The good: Pretty zippy, but I am on an airhead now so just about anything else would probably feel quicker than the airhead. I raised the windshield to its highest position before the ride. Very little noise, little turbulence, but your arms and shoulders will be in the wind. I would rate the wind protection as pretty good, but I would like to take the same ride on a cold day. I might have a different opinion then. There is a bit of vibration but I would rate the vibration as pretty low and not enough to be a deal breaker. The riding position is about perfect for me.

The bad: On deceleration and coasting, there appears to be a rather loud whine, I guess it is gear whine. I have never heard something like this before so I cannot say for sure what it is. It was a somewhat cool day here today (about 75) and the heat from the engine was noticeable. The seat got warm, my thighs got warm, and I would bet that on a summer day when it hits 95 here this bike will be a hot ride.

Would I buy one? Maybe. Hard for me to say right now.

I also took a ride on an ST 1300. Of course, compared to the NT700, it is a much more refined ride. Excellent shifting. The engine is butter smooth, like sitting on a turbine engine. I did not notice a bit of vibration, at least not in the rev ranges that I was using. The weight of the bike disappeared once under way. Wind protection is pretty good, but again I would like to ride one on a cold day. Like the NT700, engine heat will be a problem. The seat got warm and I could feel the heat on my legs and butt. This may not be a good bike for summer riding in Texas. If money was no object, I would take the ST over the NT700 but only if Honda put it on a diet. Moving such a heavy bike around the garage would be a chore. And, Honda needs to do something about the engine heat reaching the rider.

Interesting observations. What Beemers have you owned? The only thing that I never liked about my k75 was the heat from the radiator/engine which seemed to be "ducted" under the tank to the seat. My R11RS is much more comfortable in that regard.

I have owned an R80RT and two R100RTs. The second R100RT is my current ride. I had a K100 and I hated it. As you mentioned, like the K75, the engine heat was terrible. The seat and side covers got so hot on a summer day it was miserable to ride. Also, that buzzy vibration drove me nuts.

I have owned an R80RT and two R100RTs. The second R100RT is my current ride. I had a K100 and I hated it. As you mentioned, like the K75, the engine heat was terrible. The seat and side covers got so hot on a summer day it was miserable to ride. Also, that buzzy vibration drove me nuts.

That was the beauty of the K75.......no buzz.

I also had a K100RT I hated for the same reasons you said. I replaced it with a K75RT that was as smooth as an electric motor and with the optional engine covers, it was cool. It did everything well but it didn't stir my soul and reminded me of the UJMs I had owned. I replaced it with a R80RT that didn't do anything as well but it had a soul. I still have it and may keep it til I die. I then bought a R1200CLC only because it was a steal and I planned on selling it in the spring. I became attached to it because I finally had a BMW with a low seat even though it goes against everything a BMW stands for (but it has soul). I don't want another water cooled BMW.

Perhaps instead of the F800S and F800ST (which were too close in style and looks) BMW should revisit the F800 market with the F800R and a F800ST with a slightly larger fairing and bags more like those on the R12 series.

Light weight, belt drive, easy handling, great power (much better than the Deauville) some fairing and bags and a price point a few thousand below the R12R, and BMW would have a great marketable bike!

I couldn't agree more Andy. The 800ST just needs fine tuning and BMW would have a wonderful, light weight 800RT sporting tourer. IMO to make it right for the US market BMW could add adjustable bars with the low position about where they are now. Two position pegs allowing for more knee room would be welcome. Also a low muffler with 2 nice full size bags. If they really wanted to make it a nice RT a little more gas capacity, comfort seat, manually adjustable windshield (like the R1100RS had), and maybe widen the 6 speed ratios.

Agreed. What happens after a tip over? I would rather have a detachable bag that can be easily replaced. And, those integrated bags may make some maintenance actions a bit harder. They would always be in the way.
It has tip-over wings like an ST1300 or K1200LT. Drop it it a stop or at low speed and it only scuffs a $15 black plastic cover. If it goes goes over a bit harder and scratches or damages the pannier it would have to be replaced just like an non-integrated bag. Pricey yes, but price any saddlebag or pannier these days. They are all $$$. In the meantime the tip-over wing protects the bags and fairing from hitting ground in the usual garage or parking lot drop.

I rode last weekend with a fellow that has a stable that I really don't know how big it is. He has bikes from the USA, Asia, and Europe, modern, classic, vintage eras. UJMs to a factory racer or two. Italian, Japanese, German, English, American. Sunday he was riding his new NT700V which he plans to ride to Redmond in July. Go figure.

Hmmm? A mid-range touring bike with built in luggage and shaft drive. Probably reliable as hell and no final drive issues to worry about, and Honda dealers everywhere. Also 700cc insurance would be cheap too. Now why would anyone want to buy this?:dunno

Yeah, "mid-range" as in middling poor in all respects. Lacking adequate power, room and cargo capacity. No interest here in mediocrity.

Yeah, "mid-range" as in middling poor in all respects. Lacking adequate power, room and cargo capacity. No interest here in mediocrity.

2700 miles on one might just change your mind....
Personally I love mine and last weekend on a ride with another fairly spirited rider on a vstrom (sp) (the larger displacement version, what ever that is) he said he had to really work his to keep pace with me thru the mountains. So I guess its a matter of taste/perspective. Its a very responsive machine, easy to ride and the reports of weight and lack of power I think are really over stated. But then I have been riding since the days that we rode two up fully loaded on machines making less than 40 HP and managed to get down the road just fine, so 65 is quite adequate for most riding two up or one. Bigger is not always better at least for some and everyone I know and everyone on the nt-owners forums both here and overseas seem to be generally very pleased with them...

RM

Better Late than Never (not necessarily)

I'm coming in to this discussion late, and after 114 posts on this subject, probably should not come in at all. But, since this is a "forum" thought I'd add my thoughts. I've had my 1150RT for about 3 years and have put just over 30,000 miles on it. I've taken it to Alaska, upper Saskatawan, Prince Edward Island and, of course over our Rockies many times. This Spring, my friend Susan and I went to Phoenix to visit her daughter and son and law and we decided to rent a bike so we could ride with them (they have a 650 Suzuki). I had almost unlimited choices to rent and decided on the BMW 800 ST. I absolutely loved it. (Eric and I traded for a couple of hours and, although the Suzuki is a great machine it really couldn't compare for comfort or zip with the Beermer.) My 1150 RT is almost 700 pounds fully wet and I could just manhandle the 800 ST. I thought how great it would have been on many of the gravel (turning to mud) camping site roads that I took on my travels over the past two summers. I really think that, if I were not riding two-up an awful lot, I'd have bought me a new 800 ST. However, that's the rub. Susan wasn't nearly as comfortable on the smaller bike as she is on the RT. I've ridden the 800 GS a number of times, fine bike, but no fairing and very high seat. Guess I'll stick with my RT. Steve

Back