Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Huh.... What was Honda thinking?

Huh.... What was Honda thinking?

The new Honda NT700V:
    http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx

I guess they beat BMW to building the F800RT.

Looks kike a pretty nice bike.
    Steve Marquardt

I hope that BMW is kicking itself for missing the boat on this one. An F800RT with belt drive and good size bags and fairing would have been too good.

I wish Honda well with it's new bike.

Good for them.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I like the "innovation" page. They highlighted integrated saddle bage, fuel injection, shaft drive and ABS as Honda innovations

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    I believe this particular model has been marketed in Europe for a number of years, under the name "Deauville'.

I've also heard it refered to in the British bike mags as the 'Dullville'.

Based on reviews I've read it sounds like a very nice commuter/mid-weight tourer. You can't beat Honda for reliability. (BMW - are you paying attention?)
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Now that's a nice looking bike.

My wife is is looking for a new bike and we have oft thought that BMW needs a mid-sized RT. We may have to take a real hard look at this... it looks near perfect for what she needs. It seems that BMW thinks we Americans are all 6'2". Even their smaller displacement bikes are tall.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

pturner820
    Yeah: "newly arrived here in the U.S"

Ironic.
    A few years ago when I was in the market for a new bike, I saw this in the Euro press and really liked the looks, smaller size, and features.
    I even asked my local Honda dealer if it would be available in the US or if they could import one for me. No go.

Now they bring it over here...sheesh.

Oh well, I ended up buying a K1200S instead.

Over the last +/- 15 years, manufacturers have increased the motor size on their top of the line bikes leaving very few mid ranged bikes. When I got back into riding I wanted a mid-sized bike but had a hard time finding one. Looks like a cool bike, and I wouldn't be surprised if BMW adds an RT option to the F800.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    The new Honda NT700V:
    http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v.aspx

I guess they beat BMW to building the F800RT.

Looks like a pretty nice bike.
    I would have to test ride (do many H dealers allow that?)

I wonder about a 700 v-twin (5-speed? what were they thinking?) pushing around a claimed 560# plus rider and gear. 1-up might be OK but add a passenger and I can imagine some gearbox rowing.

I don't believe we need 200hp for 2-up touring but this might be a bit too far in the other direction.

IMHO
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS4v 2009 R1200RT
    SS1000, BBG, 50CC- NYC to SF

When is Honda going to understand that 5 speed gear boxes are a thing of the past? To me, this just shows how desperate they are to bring something to the Market (US). Since the motorcycle division has been up for sale for over 3 years, and no one has shown any interest, Honda has not come up with anything exciting. Everthing is just copycat crap, boring, or too late to the game kind of stuff. You might make a case for their new automatic transmission. But that will only interest a very very small set of people in the crowd.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

I like it!

RSPENNACHIO
    From the web it looks interesting. I render my final verdict after I see it on the dealers floor.

I still like my RT better though....

I'm sure BMW knew about it... Maybe they said they would "delay" what ever they had. Companies do do this.

JAMESDUNN
    I think it is a nice package and fills a need the BMW 800 ST does not address. As mentioned here elsewhere the Honda is more of an RT type motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    When is Honda going to understand that 5 speed gear boxes are a thing of the past? To me, this just shows how desperate they are to bring something to the Market (US). Since the motorcycle division has been up for sale for over 3 years, and no one has shown any interest, Honda has not come up with anything exciting. Everthing is just copycat crap, boring, or too late to the game kind of stuff. You might make a case for their new automatic transmission. But that will only interest a very very small set of people in the crowd.
    Not to be so neagative though, it is a really nice looking bike. I hope Honda sells a lot of them. It might help them realize a whole segment of bikes they have overlooked. And more bikes to choose from is usually a good thing for us all.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!