Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headlight mods/upgrades on a wedge GT

Thanks for your efforts Luis. I am coming to the same conclusion.
    Do you happen to know where the BMW Xenon ballast (control unit?) is located on the factory unit? That will also be a concern, I don't know if that gets hot also. I kow where they GET located on the aftermarket, I want to do a "clean" installation.
    Still don't know if the 65W highbeams are worth the risk. I did have an higher rated halogen on my 87 K75 until it failed (after about 10 yrs!), no side effects.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Not a problem - glad to help.

I think I vaguely remember a high voltage warning sticker when I took the front plastic off.

Below is a picture out of the repair manual

Item 7 is the Control module and item 3 is the Xenon bulb - hope it helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

What will be interesting to see is if there is an area for the factory control unit to be, as can be seen in the illustration you posted.
    This would still not guarantee anything, as the reflector assembly is a different part from the outer shell.
    They could use the same shell for both, then install the provisions for the control unit depending on which reflector is used.
    Obviously the reflector is different, if for no other reason than the "XENON" lettering on the right side of the low beam reflector (that you see through the lense).
    I would also think that area where the Xenon bulb unit attaches is different. The black square "thing" on the back of the bulb (probably called the ballast?) must be held in with the spring clip they show (the spring clip or "bail" is another difference). So to me it's obvious the reflector is somewhat different. My ballast is a pod-type inline unit, not part of the bulb or at least attached to the bulb. So it will be interesting to do it.
    I take some comfort in the fact that the low beam reflector shape seems identical or at least really close between the two bikes. The high beam would almost have to be the same as they use the same bulbs. Maybe.
    Also I believe the orientation of the element in the halogen H7 bulb would be the same as the arc inside the Xenon bulb (longitudinal is respect to the bike).
    One other area I am not sure about though, is it looks like the Factory Xenon is being inserted into a capsule of some sort with a dark colored tip. I believe the aftermarket Xenon I am getting may have a gray tip similar to an H7 bulb, but this still might affect the beam pattern I am afraid.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Yeah the more I think about it, the bigger a problem I see, but i do tend to overthink things sometimes.
    Luis, can you tell by looking what the "gray blob" in front of the xenon bulb is? Does it look like it's held there on small metal legs or more like a test tube with a gray painted end? I am thinking it's a reflector, that faces the bulb, from the outside it looks like dull gray paint.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Gilly - on the road responding on black berry so this will be a very long sentence. Anyway I checked the gray thing it does look a reflector that fits over the bulb, there appears to be three detents spaced 120 degrees which maybe how the reflector is mounted into the housing. Of interest the bottom half od the reflector has no opening between 4 and 8 o'clock while the "top" side has notches and slots cut open. You may want to check the fiche on Max BMW site and see if the reflector is shown in the hedlamp assembly exploded view.

Luis
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Luis
    Thanks. I am thinking a seperate part is not available, but I will look. I usually rely on realoem.com. same pages I am sure as Max.
    It will probably come down to installing the kit and possibly coming up with a BMW headlight used at some point, will have to watch for deals. I can't cough up $500+ for a new headlight now. Lot's of guys have added these kits without a problem it seems like.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Everybody know about this EPC on line by BMW Motorrad?

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Click on the WEB EPC at the top and scroll down. Instructions there.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I use realoem.com
    no username or password to use (BTW the username or password doesn't work on bmwmotorcycles.com website).
    I believe the info is the same.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Luis
    Hey check out this picture. Where the bulb enters the reflector area, has those 3 small cutouts speced 120 degrees apart, if you look in your headlight, does it look like the shield in front of the bulb attaches to those same 3 areas? I might be able to make a shield so the xenon doesn't irritate other drivers. Actually it would be my brother and I, he is an excellent sheetmetal fabricator, could probably come up with something made of stainless steel.
    If you want to try to get a similar picture. that would be great. I had a heck of a time getting this shot, I think the camera sensed the clear lense and didn't want to focus on the base of the bulb. Finally I shut off the LCD screen and used the old fashioned optical viewfinder, that finally worked. No idea how to manually focus my digital camera!
    Thanks
    Gilly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Gilly - been out for the weekend - I was able to take some pictures, you're not kidding it is easy to take!!

This one is from the right side (as your looking at the bike)

This one is from the left

This one if from the left side different angle

This one is from the right with a different angle

I can't angle the camera enough not to get flash-back from the reflector to capture the top side of the reflector cut out clearly.

Let me know if this works for you, if not I will try something else.

Luis
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

That's probably all I need to see, really. I don't think I can get quite that fancy, I have a few different ideas now anyways.
    Thanks again. If I can pull off making a shield I will get info and pics on how I made that, too, assuming everything works OK.
    I think the optics are OK for either bulb, it's the shield and how the bulb fits that's the real difference it seems like. The xenon bulb I am getting will be for a H7 headlamp assembly though.
    With my brothers help I think I can get something that will be an improvement over the stock H7 low beam and not bother other people. WELL at least normal people, I know you probably get flashed just because it's xenon, even though it's a factory headlight.
    Amazing the xenon works so much better with all that shielding around it!

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

That's an interesting point about being flashed - I haven't yet. The light hits most cars right at the trunk line so it is properly dipped. Something to consider. Good luck on your project.
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Something to consider in terms of what? Making sure I adjust the beam properly, or "yeah you better make a shield"?

One (edit: OK a couple)question, can you see how far the tip of the bulb goes in to the "cup" on the end? Or does it end in the cut out area? have to try to make sure I have the size and spacing right, doesn't look like the kind of thing you could take out and measure.
    Maybe you could make a sketch, might work better than a picture.
    I think the one I make will have to be narrower than stock to fit through the hole.
    OH and does it look like the whole shield is that dull black color, inside and out?

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Something to consider in terms of what? Making sure I adjust the beam properly, or "yeah you better make a shield"?
    Make sure it's adjusted properly

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    One (edit: OK a couple)question, can you see how far the tip of the bulb goes in to the "cup" on the end? Or does it end in the cut out area? have to try to make sure I have the size and spacing right, doesn't look like the kind of thing you could take out and measure.
    Maybe you could make a sketch, might work better than a picture.
    I think the one I make will have to be narrower than stock to fit through the hole.
    OH and does it look like the whole shield is that dull black color, inside and out?

Gilly
    Will see what I can do when I get home......
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Sounds good, just make sure you wash your hands before handling the headlight
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606