Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Headlight mods/upgrades on a wedge GT

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Something to consider in terms of what? Making sure I adjust the beam properly, or "yeah you better make a shield"?

One (edit: OK a couple)question, can you see how far the tip of the bulb goes in to the "cup" on the end?
    It appears to be 1/2 way

Or does it end in the cut out area?
    Just about real close - did not take headlamp out

have to try to make sure I have the size and spacing right, doesn't look like the kind of thing you could take out and measure.
    Taking the headlight assembly off is not as easy as on the RT so I just looked around

I think the one I make will have to be narrower than stock to fit through the hole.
    The D1R bulb is thinner and different geometry than the H7

OH and does it look like the whole shield is that dull black color, inside and out?
    It appears to be the same color all over.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

OK I'll assume the cut out is open just above where the arc is (between the electrodes, which are inside the glass tube.

What I meant by the "narrower than stock" is this shield i want to make, will need to be a smaller diameter than what you have. Mine will have to go through the same hole in which the bulb goes into the headlight. Your shield I am sure was put on the reflector beofe the lense was put on, it will be larger than mine can be. I don't believe the outer lens is something I want to try to take off.

I don't think the geometery is different on the bulb. The xenon bulb I get might have a slightly different position for the arc (in or out) than the stock bulb, as mine will have an H7 base. That of course can change the geometery for the direction the beam will take inside the headlight as well as outside. Since the reflector shape seems to be the same I am hoping for the best.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    If the kit is to replace an H7, then won't it be good without any additional shields?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

CJack brings up a good question - are you replacing the Halogen H7's with HID H7's?

The Xenon Bulb I have is a D1R, and the bulb geometry is different than an H7 being that the D1R is thinner. At least they appear to be when I was searching on the web.......

This is a great thread - hope it works out for you Gilly
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Initially I thought the same, just pop it in. I've had posts on other forums of GT owners who have done just that. It's a popular item, too bad mine didn't come with it. I think later on it bacame almost standard equipment in the US anyways. So, I wouldn't be the first or last to just install it.
    My whole problem is I want to make it function as well as stock, without getting flashed and more importantly, to not pi$$ people off.
    OK, so you can actually see the problem. The problem will be that there is no glare shield on my bike. I would say this is omitted on the halogen, because if you look at the pic of my bulb, the stock H7 bulbs have that dark spot painted on the end of the glass.
    The Xenon bulb won't have that, there is the external wire that leads to the front of the bulb (makes the outer part of the electrode pair) and they don't do that paint thing on them.
    So instead BMW puts this metal shield inside the headlight, see Luis' pictures. That dark painted thing isn't part of the bulb, it's part of the headlight. I want to try to replicate that if I can. My brother is an excellent welder. My idea is using a metal tube, have my brother fabricate a base for the tube which would mimmic an H7 base, this will go between the headlight and Xenon H7 bulb, so the bulb will in effect be holding the shield in place. Weld a cap on the end facing forward. Cut or grind an opening for the light (probably just one large square opening in the top half, leaving the forward part closed up, so just an opening approx on top of where the arc will be, I don't think I have to be quite as exacting, it will be better than doing nothing).
    The Xenon bulb that comes with this kit has an H7 base on it instead of the type manufacturers use. It's really a Xenon HID bulb, just a funky base so it works in a H7 headlight.
    I am somewhat bolstered by the reflector looking the same between the real Xenon headlight and mine. If there is a difference I believe it to be pretty minor.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

OH and again I would disagree the geometery is different, unless the reflector really is different, which I doubt, but I would agree it would be a problem if the bulb capsule was moved forward or aft a "lot". Others will also tell you the arc is different than a incandescent filament, etc etc. Well fooey, I'm trying it.
    Stubborn.
    Hope nothing melts though...
    I can put it back to stock if it doesn't work out, but from reports I hear, it works out fine. This particular kit I bough was recommended by another GT owner who says it has been working fine for a couple years now.
    I DO have to make sure I get this colored black though, as you don't want the beam reflected back by the shield, it needs to be black to absorb the light, not reflect it back to the bulb as this will shorten bulb life.
    Thinking high temp engine paint?
    Powder coating would probably be best I suppose.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

More pictures

This is the "power" base of the bulb as mounted on the back of the headlight assembly housing

Sideview of the bulb assembly as it is removed from the housing assembly

Inside reflector #1

Inside reflector #2

2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

TOO cool! Thanks much, I can definitely see how BMW does it now!
    Since my headlight will need to remain as it is, my plan is to make a metal base so it drops in the same area that my headlight bulb drops in to.
    Attached to that (welded) will be the largest diameter tube (stainless or aluminum) that will pass in to the headlight through the headlamp bulb hole.
    I will get a round cap welded to the end of that tube.
    Instead of the strange openings you have on yours, I will have the top half of the circumference of the tube removed. Might try doing those 2 slots on the bottom of the tube also.
    Possibly get the whole thing finished in a dull black powdercoat.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Another thought is see if Beemer boneyard may have any light assemblies and you can get the shield.

Just a thought......
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Not sure if the shield would "transplant" onto the back of a halogen reflector headlight.
    IF they had a xenon headlight with a smashed outer lense, I would be willing to try to seperate my lense and rear cover to install the reflector. I'll try them.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606