• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mikuni carbs

E

eddavnct

Bing carbs shot one didn't even take to a rebuild thinking about Mikuni VM34mm any buddy have any info. on what to do with vac. lines my bike is a 84 RS also do they run well on beemers

I put VM-26's on my '74 R60, and they work very well. My originals had no vacuum lines, but I tapped a 5mm hole in each Mikuni for a vacuum port for synchronization purposes. I had to re-jet them [idle jet, needle jet, main jet] and adjust fuel level. The rest of the conversion required new throttle cables, a pair of carb-to-cyl boots, a pair of air tube-to-carb boots, and eight clamps. I shortened the air tubes about an inch each. I removed the original choke/cables, as I have to choke each carb now.

Stan Smith @ Rocky Point Cycles [Xenia, Ohio] sells complete conversions, although I bought my carbs at one source, and the rest of conversion from Stan.

Some pics:

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

Hope this helps.
Richard

Is there any awkwardness with not having a L & R version of the carb, i.e. mixture or idle adjustment screw locations etc.?

No, just something to get used to; worth the performance increase, IMO.

Very interested - what size are they? How did they run on your RT? I have the 40mm Bings and feel like it might run better with something like 36's or 38's...
Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
I just took off a pair of Mikuni VM 34 from a '83R100RT and they ran great! I have them for sale on the flea market. I would put up some pics,but the overseer always scolds me and takes them off.:violin

I just took off a pair of Mikuni VM 34 from a '83R100RT and they ran great! I have them for sale on the flea market. I would put up some pics,but the overseer always scolds me and takes them off.:violin

Maybe you should remove the carbs from your nekid model. I know Sex sells but.....LOL

DS74BMW: Just sent you a PM... curious about the 60/6 Mikuni conversion. Thanks for posting the pics!

MY questions have to do with changes in performance, and what jetting you ended up with..

Thanks!

I put VM-26's on my '74 R60, and they work very well. My originals had no vacuum lines, but I tapped a 5mm hole in each Mikuni for a vacuum port for synchronization purposes.

Richard, I just came across your pics of the Mikuni carbs that you added vacuum port to. I need to do the same. Can you show me on more detail where on the carbs you actually tapped into. I know it was some time ago but hope you are still active here.

Cheers........John

John -

Not sure Richard is going to see your post. The last time he was on the forum was December 2009. Maybe he's on hiatus or is out doing something fun! :whistle You might check his profile and see if there's another way to contact him.

I put VM-26's on my '74 R60, and they work very well. My originals had no vacuum lines, but I tapped a 5mm hole in each Mikuni for a vacuum port for synchronization purposes. I had to re-jet them [idle jet, needle jet, main jet] and adjust fuel level. The rest of the conversion required new throttle cables, a pair of carb-to-cyl boots, a pair of air tube-to-carb boots, and eight clamps. I shortened the air tubes about an inch each. I removed the original choke/cables, as I have to choke each carb now.

Stan Smith @ Rocky Point Cycles [Xenia, Ohio] sells complete conversions, although I bought my carbs at one source, and the rest of conversion from Stan.

Some pics:

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

Hope this helps.
Richard

I'm not sure they {Rocky Point} Xenia Oh, are still in business ? I can't find anything that says they are.

The one that was in Florida it seems has moved to Mass....

Not sure that this answers my question. I want to add vacuum ports to my VN32 Mikunis and was interested to see where "Richard" had tapped into to achieve this on his VN26s

Why not check with Rocky Point? They even sell the kits for doing this...obviously they will know where to make the connection.

The one that was in Florida it seems has moved to Mass....

What kind of nut case moves from Florida to Massachusetts??
Can't be cause he retired. Moving north on retirement is against the law. You have to move south.
I know that because Seinfeld said so.

Back