Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Women of the MOA

Women of the MOA

Good morning, I have fond memories of Voni Glave's "Women Rider's" seminar at the National this year. It seems the only thing that caused it to come to an end was the clock, as so many had something to say or share. I was inspired by the enthusiasm. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread to continue that dialog? Discussing anything from benifits of riding alone or as pillion, experiences and special concerns of women riders and clothing designed for women riders, would only be some of the subjects to share. This is open to anyone, not just women. This is not a poll, simply a thread or "Room" for discussion and or advice. What do you think?

3 Red Bricks
    I think it is a GREAT idea.

My wife would really appreciate something that addresses concerns of women riders.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thumbs up

I agree that this is a great idea. I would hope there is enough interest to see this topic get added as a forum of it's own which could then have then threads about riding pillion, apparel, perils, pitfalls, adventures, and more.

Thanks for taking the initiative, womanridge!

Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; MOA Director
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    I think this is a great idea. I have issues....and I'm not afraid to discuss them. Count me in!

I just returned from the AMA Women & Motorcycling Conference, and I agree with Sue. There should be a place for women to discuss things from our perspective, and share stories, questions and concerns.

We have much to learn from one another.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I think that this will be a popular idea.

But I have to say I'm on the fence about "women only" topics. Aside from the challenges we face trying to take a leak while wearing a 'Stitch, I see motorcycling issues as unisex.

I lurk in the Women Rider thread in ADV, but am turned off by a place for Women's Ride reports. If it's a decent ride report, it's a decent ride report, why do women need a special place for a ride report? I don't have special women questions to ask, I have motorcyclist questions to ask. Bikes, trips, oil, travel...not women's issues.

I belong to one woman's only motorcycle forum. What do I talk about there that I can't talk about here? Nothing. I just recognize that many women do not share my unisex view of the motorcycling community. Perhaps as with off line encounters women do not feel listened to online amongst men? I dunno. I won't discourage anyone from participating in ways that they feel comfortable in. I just doubt it's for me.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Aside from the challenges we face trying to take a leak while wearing a 'Stitch, I see motorcycling issues as unisex.
    Not many guys ride bikes that are 5-6 times their own body weight.

Not many guys are under 5'6".

BMW does not believe short people should be allowed to ride their bikes.

The clutch pull on some older cable operated clutches can exceed 23 lbs. That can be a real bear in stop and go traffic.

I hope this happens.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

You may want to look at the "Womens-Topics" at Horizons Unlimited,
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/womens-topics/

A good idea, but I hope one goal of the idea will be to get women to post in all areas of the forum. I share some of Gail's concerns.

Oh, and Happy Birthday womanridge!!!!
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    A good idea, but I hope one goal of the idea will be to get women to post in all areas of the forum. I share some of Gail's concerns.

Oh, and Happy Birthday womanridge!!!!
    I think that would be a great benefit of the thread, welcoming new members, making them feel at home and to participate in the forum in general.
    And thank you for the H.B/day. This one is special. I'm now officially on social security!!

Thumbs up Great idea!

I like the idea of having a woman's section in the Forum...I don't think it's just that we need to talk about how to pee in a Roadcrafter (although I do have my own technique!) but I think it's the support that women give each other.

Like Mandy, I was at the Women & Motorcycling Conference in Colorado and even though every marque was represented, it was the fact that the person I was talking to could really understand what it was like to travel via motorcycle, from finding clothes that fit to having people be very surprised that when the helmet came off, there was a female riding the bike. I like to think of it as kinda like shorthand - not a lot of explanation is necessary.

I was also at Voni's seminar and the support and encouragement that was present was unlike any other seminar I have attended. I wish the seminar could have gone on longer!

I have a question for other women riders (pillions too of course!). Am I the only person to not really have any security problems while on the road? Other than using common sense about my security, I haven't really had any scary incidents (knock wood) and was wondering if I was alone in this experience.

Great idea Womanridge (Karen) Thanks for bringing it up.
    Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

"If you build it, they will come." Field of Dreams

I am glad to see this thread and the responses it has had so far. I apologize for the Male intrusion but wanted to take a minute to encourage the woman of the BMW MOA Forum on this idea and to interject a couple of thoughts.

The A#1 first priority on the Forum Team's hit list right now is to expand the usage of the Forum by the MOA and it's members as well as increase the benefits the forum provides to the Club. One of the most under-represented groups in the MOA on the forum are the female members. Anyway that we can make the forum a more useful and comfortable place for the Gals is welcome.

The neccessary Nutz and Boltz.

To have a Womans forum area we need 2 basic things.

1: Adequate demand.

2: A motivated moderator.

With those 2 things, there is no reason why this would not be a viable addition to the forum.

I think that the best course now would be to mobilize the Ladies and have them sound off in this thread so we can adequately guage the demand.

And anyone who feels they would like to be considered to moderate can contact me or DarrylRi. (eh guys, this should be one of the women hopefully.)

And the Forum Team will go back to and .

Ps: Can't help you with the 'Stitch thing, I have never found it to be an issue.
    Steve Marquardt

Rally Rat
    I'm for it!

[QUOTE=tvgal2000;495386]
    I have a question for other women riders (pillions too of course!). Am I the only person to not really have any security problems while on the road? Other than using common sense about my security, I haven't really had any scary incidents (knock wood) and was wondering if I was alone in this experience.

I think about this all the time, TV gal. I love long distance riding and ride alone whenever I'm not on a club ride. My main fears are:
    Night riding and hiting a deer,camping in a remote area alone and riding alone in Mexico. Otherwise, I ride with reasonable caution and devour the ride experience.
    Another habit I've developed is carrying two wallets. One with my real cards, D/L, and most of my money and a second 'dummy'wallet with two old credit cards, a little cash and my library card. I wear my 'dummy wallet' and stash ther real one somewhere on the bike. I suppose I'll freak out if I'm ever robbed, but at least I won't be stranded with nothing.
    Riding alone allows one to set her or his own pace, eat, stop to smell the roses, drive a little further than if you're with others and leave whenever the time is right for you.
    How about the rest of you out there? Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tvgal2000 View Post
    Hi Sarah!
    The only time I was concerned about my safety was during my 48-state trip, 2 years ago. In my constant search for low-cost hotels, I found a place in Kansas City that was very sketchy. I think it might have been a hotel where newly released prisoners are housed - but I did not come to that conclusion until after I had paid and was unpacking my bike. I think I got less than 2 hours of sleep that night - I heard every sound in the walkway outside my door. Eee-Yew!

Brian likes to "wilderness-camp" - where he just finds a field and puts up his tent. I can't do that. When I have agreed to Wilderness camp, I stay awake all night, waiting for a slasher to kill me and steal my bike. This has been a source of some (uh) discourse between us.

I agree - common sense is paramount for women who are riding alone.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; MOA Director
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.