• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Women of the MOA

womanridge

Good morning, I have fond memories of Voni Glave's "Women Rider's" seminar at the National this year. It seems the only thing that caused it to come to an end was the clock, as so many had something to say or share. I was inspired by the enthusiasm. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread to continue that dialog? Discussing anything from benifits of riding alone or as pillion, experiences and special concerns of women riders and clothing designed for women riders, would only be some of the subjects to share. This is open to anyone, not just women. This is not a poll, simply a thread or "Room" for discussion and or advice. What do you think?

I think it is a GREAT idea.:thumb

My wife would really appreciate something that addresses concerns of women riders.

:dance:dance:dance

I agree that this is a great idea. I would hope there is enough interest to see this topic get added as a forum of it's own which could then have then threads about riding pillion, apparel, perils, pitfalls, adventures, and more.

Thanks for taking the initiative, womanridge!

:thumb

I think this is a great idea. I have issues....and I'm not afraid to discuss them. :blah Count me in!

I just returned from the AMA Women & Motorcycling Conference, and I agree with Sue. There should be a place for women to discuss things from our perspective, and share stories, questions and concerns.

We have much to learn from one another.:thumb

I think that this will be a popular idea.

But I have to say I'm on the fence about "women only" topics. Aside from the challenges we face trying to take a leak while wearing a 'Stitch, I see motorcycling issues as unisex.

I lurk in the Women Rider thread in ADV, but am turned off by a place for Women's Ride reports. If it's a decent ride report, it's a decent ride report, why do women need a special place for a ride report? I don't have special women questions to ask, I have motorcyclist questions to ask. Bikes, trips, oil, travel...not women's issues.

I belong to one woman's only motorcycle forum. What do I talk about there that I can't talk about here? Nothing. I just recognize that many women do not share my unisex view of the motorcycling community. Perhaps as with off line encounters women do not feel listened to online amongst men? I dunno. I won't discourage anyone from participating in ways that they feel comfortable in. I just doubt it's for me.

Aside from the challenges we face trying to take a leak while wearing a 'Stitch, I see motorcycling issues as unisex.

Not many guys ride bikes that are 5-6 times their own body weight.

Not many guys are under 5'6".

BMW does not believe short people should be allowed to ride their bikes.

The clutch pull on some older cable operated clutches can exceed 23 lbs. That can be a real bear in stop and go traffic.

I hope this happens.

:dance:dance:dance

A good idea, but I hope one goal of the idea will be to get women to post in all areas of the forum. I share some of Gail's concerns.

Oh, and Happy Birthday womanridge!!!!

A good idea, but I hope one goal of the idea will be to get women to post in all areas of the forum. I share some of Gail's concerns.

Oh, and Happy Birthday womanridge!!!!

I think that would be a great benefit of the thread, welcoming new members, making them feel at home and to participate in the forum in general.
And thank you for the H.B/day. :laughThis one is special. I'm now officially on social security!!:dance

Great idea!

I like the idea of having a woman's section in the Forum...I don't think it's just that we need to talk about how to pee in a Roadcrafter (although I do have my own technique!) but I think it's the support that women give each other.

Like Mandy, I was at the Women & Motorcycling Conference in Colorado and even though every marque was represented, it was the fact that the person I was talking to could really understand what it was like to travel via motorcycle, from finding clothes that fit to having people be very surprised that when the helmet came off, there was a female riding the bike. I like to think of it as kinda like shorthand - not a lot of explanation is necessary.

I was also at Voni's seminar and the support and encouragement that was present was unlike any other seminar I have attended. I wish the seminar could have gone on longer!

I have a question for other women riders (pillions too of course!). Am I the only person to not really have any security problems while on the road? Other than using common sense about my security, I haven't really had any scary incidents (knock wood) and was wondering if I was alone in this experience.

Great idea Womanridge (Karen) Thanks for bringing it up.:thumb

"If you build it, they will come." Field of Dreams

I am glad to see this thread and the responses it has had so far. I apologize for the Male intrusion but wanted to take a minute to encourage the woman of the BMW MOA Forum on this idea and to interject a couple of thoughts.

The A#1 first priority on the Forum Team's hit list right now is to expand the usage of the Forum by the MOA and it's members as well as increase the benefits the forum provides to the Club. One of the most under-represented groups in the MOA on the forum are the female members. Anyway that we can make the forum a more useful and comfortable place for the Gals is welcome.

The neccessary Nutz and Boltz.

To have a Womans forum area we need 2 basic things.

1: Adequate demand.

2: A motivated moderator.

With those 2 things, there is no reason why this would not be a viable addition to the forum.

I think that the best course now would be to mobilize the Ladies and have them sound off in this thread so we can adequately guage the demand.

And anyone who feels they would like to be considered to moderate can contact me or DarrylRi. (eh guys, this should be one of the women hopefully.)

And the Forum Team will go back to :lurk and :ear.

Ps: Can't help you with the 'Stitch thing, I have never found it to be an issue.:scratch

I have a question for other women riders (pillions too of course!). Am I the only person to not really have any security problems while on the road? Other than using common sense about my security, I haven't really had any scary incidents (knock wood) and was wondering if I was alone in this experience.
I think about this all the time, TV gal. I love long distance riding and ride alone whenever I'm not on a club ride. My main fears are:
Night riding and hiting a deer,camping in a remote area alone and riding alone in Mexico. Otherwise, I ride with reasonable caution and devour the ride experience.
Another habit I've developed is carrying two wallets. One with my real cards, D/L, and most of my money and a second 'dummy'wallet with two old credit cards, a little cash and my library card. I wear my 'dummy wallet' and stash ther real one somewhere on the bike. I suppose I'll freak out if I'm ever robbed, but at least I won't be stranded with nothing.
Riding alone allows one to set her or his own pace, eat, stop to smell the roses, drive a little further than if you're with others and leave whenever the time is right for you.
How about the rest of you out there? Your thoughts?

Hi Sarah!
The only time I was concerned about my safety was during my 48-state trip, 2 years ago. In my constant search for low-cost hotels, I found a place in Kansas City that was very sketchy. I think it might have been a hotel where newly released prisoners are housed - but I did not come to that conclusion until after I had paid and was unpacking my bike. I think I got less than 2 hours of sleep that night - I heard every sound in the walkway outside my door. Eee-Yew!

Brian likes to "wilderness-camp" - where he just finds a field and puts up his tent. I can't do that. When I have agreed to Wilderness camp, I stay awake all night, waiting for a slasher to kill me and steal my bike. This has been a source of some (uh) discourse between us.

I agree - common sense is paramount for women who are riding alone.

So far, my solo ventures have not placed me in harmÔÇÖs way. Lucky or aware...not sure which, but I try to know where I'm going, make stops in populated areas (towns) and stay places that are not remote or seedy (I'd rather pay the bucks for peace of mind). Now, I haven't been riding long so I've not experienced a remote breakdown, but I'll tell you what I have experienced when I've made a few remote stops to take a break.... riders giving me the thumbs up and waiting for a response from me before they continue on their ride. That is kind of comforting.

I think all you can do is be aware and as safe as you can be - go with your gut-feeling if someone, something or someplace doesn't seem right to you. After all, we have been given intuition for a reason!

:type

I ride alone all the time and share Sue's concerns about Wilderness camping. I do try to find a respectable motel. Other than that, I have never had any problems or felt threatened in any way. Most people want to help not harm.

As far as a separate section for women, I am of two minds. Like Gail, I see myself as a motorcyclist, not as a woman motorcyclist. In the Canadian Motorcycle Association, we have heard a loud, clear message from our many women members that they don't want to be separated out. They fear being delegated to lesser roles than they have now, if separated.

OTOH, if we can separate airheads, oilheads, hexheads, vintage etc., I see no reason why women can't have a place to discuss issues of greater importance to them; such as security, clothing, inseam issues etc. I for one, will participate gladly in those threads, while continuing to read and contribute to the other areas that interest me.

Holly

Hi, All,
My late wife, Harriet, has been gone almost two years. While we were married (27 years), she rode alone a few times, both in Europe and in the USA. Her concerns were motorcyclists' concerns - flat tire, breakdown, wreck, etc. She surprised a few people when she removed her helmet, but never had a concern for her safety. She would be all for anything where more women - riders or pillion - could get more interested in and more information on the sport.

While I basically agree with Gail that most of motorcycling is unisex, I also think that there are some woman-only issues. Clothing for one, and safety which is being discussed now. And I think most of us usually princess park if there's not someone else around to get us out of a parking mistake. I think there are issues related to our shape, size, strength and vulnerability (sadly) that are not unisex.

While I have nothing to contribute, I do offer my encouragement and support.

While this may not be for every woman, it will be for some women and the more we can offer, the better the value of membership.

Go for it!

Back