• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

scooter shipping

libwwv

need some advise/help on buying a scooter from west and having it shipped to the midwest...thanks still no scooter, but really getting sweet on members r65ls

I truck shipped a KZ1000 from Minnesota to California twenty years ago. You can do it but there needs to be a good reason for the hassle. Unless you are trailering the bike you will need to build a durable crate. I built one using a 2X4 frame built around the bike with cross pieces securing the wheels and bike frame. The crate frame was then covered with a plywood shell. Delivery took a few weeks but the bike arrived fine. Shipping cost $400 in 1988 so I expect it is over a grand now.

I've had 3 bikes shipped in the last few years and it was a piece of cake. I used Elite Transport out of Plano, Texas (contact Norm: 972/235-0099 x 118) since Dallas was my destination. Elite is a part of Federal Companies. IIRC, on the first shipment, www.funtransport.com arranged the deal.
In any case, they strap the bike to a skid and ship in open inside a closed truck. In both cases everything came through perfectly and they have a detailed sheet of the bike condition before shipping which you sign off on upon receipt.
Prices were in the $400 - $600 range. Getting the bike to one of their "ports" on the departing end and picking up at a "port" on the receiving end reduces cost a lot though door to door is available.

I've had 3 bikes shipped in the last few years and it was a piece of cake. I used Elite Transport out of Plano, Texas (contact Norm: 972/235-0099 x 118) since Dallas was my destination. Elite is a part of Federal Companies. IIRC, on the first shipment, www.funtransport.com arranged the deal.
In any case, they strap the bike to a skid and ship in open inside a closed truck. In both cases everything came through perfectly and they have a detailed sheet of the bike condition before shipping which you sign off on upon receipt.
Prices were in the $400 - $600 range. Getting the bike to one of their "ports" on the departing end and picking up at a "port" on the receiving end reduces cost a lot though door to door is available.

thanks for taking the time to share the info.! it seems that what i'm looking for is quite a distance away. also feel a little more confident dealing with a MOA member, than ebay or cyletrader. i think i'll e-mail the member and see if the bike is what they say it is....once again thanks for your insight and i hope to ride before the snow flies will

need some advise/help on buying a scooter from west and having it shipped to the midwest...thanks still no scooter, but really getting sweet on members r65ls

I had my 89 GS shipped from CA to Pittsburgh by Dan Lawson. His company is called DSLawson shipping.

Email is: juli.lawson@yahoo.com

Phone # is:513-508-5631

He was excellent and I would definetly deal with him again.

thanks lineman, just saw you message. did they arrange the pick-up and delivery? do you recall the price? thanks again........will

I shipped a bike to my son in Durango using Federal Motorcycle Shipping. As an AMA (not the MD organization) member you'll get a discount. Worked out well and they picked up at my house and delivered to his door. Cost was about 550.00.

thanks lineman, just saw you message. did they arrange the pick-up and delivery? do you recall the price? thanks again........will

Hi Will,
Dan did arrange the times he would pick up the bike with the PO. He called me to go over the bike when he got it. He hauled it in an enclosed trailer just like you or I would so, no need to drain fluids or have the bike prepped / crated. The total cost was $600.00 delivered to my door. It's like having a friend go and get your bike for you.

thanks again lineman! i,m going to write down your info. one never knows when a case of the JYD ( junk yard dog) can crop up! this weekend i took a trip to look at a '75 R90/6..........soo i might not need to ship anything. perfect color too, black of course. this topic started because of a R65LS in california, and i live in indy!!!!!

You might want to look at a company called Keyboard Carriage. They only transport pianos and motorcycles.

I was really impressed. They hauled a Guzzi for me that I had bought off of E-Bay from Miami, Fl. to Victoria, Texas for about $600 in 2005.

They had a really nice custom made padded dolly that the bike was attached to. The only way that bike could have been injured is if they had "rolled" the truck.

The driver was articulate and well dressed and his 18 wheeler was nice also. Inside with my bike were a few collector bikes going to a doctor in South Texas. The driver told me he had delivered at that time over 30 antique bikes to this Doctor.

You can bet that if they are handling Pianos they know how to be careful. They originally only hauled pianos; but the owner of the company wanted to diversify.

Back