• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires...

King

"Enthusiast"
It's been a long time since I replaced the tires on an airhead. My "new" R100RS has Metzeler ME99A 4.00 18 and ME33 Laser 3.25 19. What's the current state of the art? What is everyone using nowadays?

Just put on a set of Pirelli Sport Demons. Handle well but can't say anything yet about wear, they just have about 550 miles on them so far. Had the Metz. SportTecs on my RS and they wore out in less than a year...

Tire Options

It's been a long time since I replaced the tires on an airhead. My "new" R100RS has Metzeler ME99A 4.00 18 and ME33 Laser 3.25 19. What's the current state of the art? What is everyone using nowadays?

Hey, King,

I know I am going to take some flack on this but I could just care less.

I am currently on my third R100RS. Thirty years ago I was running a 3.50x19 tire on the front and a 4.50x18 on the back. I have never, EVER experienced any detrimental effects from doing this - but the tires do last longer.

I have run the ME33/ME99A package on my current ride. They were "OK" but didn't last too long. Actually, the rear tire went away pretty quickly (and I'm no drag racer.)

My current tire package is this: Bridgestone Battlax BT45F, 100/80x19V (front) and BT45R, 120/90x18V (rear.)

I run mine with tubes on Lester wheels. If I ran BMW Snowflake wheels I would also run them with tubes.

They handle very nicely, wet or dry, seem pretty immune to rain grooves and bridge gratings, have a nice quick steering response and seem to be holding-up pretty well although I can't give you any mileage figures.

I got mine from Dennis Kirk (online.)

Currently the prices listed are:

Front: $80.99

Rear: $88.99

My local BMW dealer (I just asked them, one week ago) is still recommending the Metzler Lasertec tires but had no objection to the Battlax tire suite.

You will get as many answers to this question as you would if you asked for an engine oil recommendation.

Good luck!

Bridgestone S11 Spitfires in 100/90-19 and 110/90-18 sizes with tubes on snowflake wheels. I get about 10,000 miles out of these along with good wet or dry grip.

Ah, the dreaded tire thread.

Round black ones are best.

I'm running Avon AM26 RoadRider. Good results so far. And, they're available in the "correct" airhead sizes if that matters to you.

My $0.03, YMMV.

Back