• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for R90S

tthouses

capt. paul
I am searching for high quality grade 72 or so R90S in the gold color. I visited the BMW Museum last month and fell in love with the Daytona gold R90S. i have seen a couple posted after trying an exhausted search. Maybe im not looking in the right places. The two that i have seen are both around 13K$ with low miles. So what is a fair price and where can I get a near museum piece? I do plan on riding it and not sticking it in a museum.
thanks
paul
R90/6

One for sale right now in the flea market section...

The color is Daytona orange, 1975, 76 model years. Good luck with your search.

There are people willing to pay over $10K for low mile perfect bikes, but you won't want one because they become $5000 dollar bikes after a year of riding, and they need quite a bit of maintenance from sitting around too long. An R90 S should be able to fetch $5000 if it is in good cosmetic shape (looks great form 10 feet away) and needs nothing immediately ( you can ride it home a few hundred miles). Bikes with miles but a lot of recent work like heads, tranny, clutch, and new tires could fetch $6000 or even $7000 if all the paint was really nice. The cost of doing an all out restoration farming out the motor, tranny, and paint will be about $12,000, not including the bike. A fully restored bike would get about $10,000 if the seller was patient. You will see a few dealers move restored bikes for more, but avoid them. They are not as "restored" as they make it seem. At that price, you should do it yourself and end up with a reliable bike.

R90S, Daytona Orange or Silver Smoke, were /6 vintage vehicles. 3 year production run, '74 to '76. '74s came with kick start and solid front rotors. and a weak detent spring in the transmission.
you want museum quality, you're going to pay (probably $10K or above). one of the few post-60's BMWs that are continuing to appreciate in value.

There is a Daytona Orange R90S in my garage at this very moment. It is being raffled by the BMWMOA Foundation at the open house in 3 weeks in St.Louis MO. It should have about 500 to 600 miles on a complete re-build when it gets awarded to it's new owner.

thanks for the input. i am not sure that the two i had looked at were in fact rebuilt and worth the 13K$. they had low miles and were sure good looking. i need to go back and find the website posting the two and get feedback. so one is being raffled? hhmmm; should i buy a bunch of tickets?
thanks
paul

more stuff

This is what an email from one center sent me on their R90S:
Paul,

We have no hard copies or official records for the bike. The motorcycle has been completely checked on a yearly basis by our master certified BMW techs here at Touring Sport BMW for the past 8 years. It has a two inch scratch on the front fender, otherwise it is in great shape. The motorcycle does run well. The mileage is accurate.

Respectfully,
Ryan Sachs

Touring Sport BMW/Lotus Greenville
General Sales Manager
BMW S1000RR Dealer Advocate
Ryan@touringsportbmw.com

(Not trying to nick pick any place. But if im putting out that much bread I relish more experiened input.
thanks
paul)

Raffle bike pics

The first of several

Attachments

• 103_0087.jpg
    103_0087.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 123
I am searching for high quality grade 72 or so R90S in the gold color. I visited the BMW Museum last month and fell in love with the Daytona gold R90S. i have seen a couple posted after trying an exhausted search. Maybe im not looking in the right places. The two that i have seen are both around 13K$ with low miles. So what is a fair price and where can I get a near museum piece? I do plan on riding it and not sticking it in a museum.
thanks
paul
R90/6

Daily riders are available for around five through eight thousand dollars. I have been watching the prices on these bikes for years as I'd like one too. That would mean an average of around six thousand five hundred. There are quite a few out there. IBMR is one source( Internet BMW Riders). Ebay is another, as is our own flea market. Buy a raffle ticket, maybe you'll win!
Museum pieces? Lots more green. Expect prices to go over ten thousand dollars (such as the thirteen thousand you mention)..

Can you post a link to where we can buy raffle tickets?

The raffle tickets can be purchased thru the country store links on the BMWMOA.ORG homepage. Here is a link also:
http://www.bmwmoafoundation.org/fundraising/2009RaffleR90S.html

If you want to see more pictures of what was done to the bike, click on the captions below the pictures. It will open to a gallery of more pictures that were taken during the renovation of the bike.

Also, raffle tickets will be available at the BMWMOA open house Sept. 19. That will be your last chance to get in on this raffle as the winning ticket will be drawn at the open house that day.

Well....

It appears as if you have already found what youre looking for but you don't want to pay the price. Right?

The only other option whold be to either look for something else or buy a good running $500 + or - bike and restore it yourself. Either way, you'll spend the same amount of $$$ in the end (About $12K) and you still won't have a bike as fast or as good handling as one you could build starting with a stock R-90 and building from there.

I'd advise that if you really want an R-90S, to cough up the 12 Grand and be done with it. Prices on those bikes are climbing steadily and quickly, despite the current depression.

Back