• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

sucking a bunch of "suspicious" looking crap into your carb question:

B

BUBBAZANETTI

so anyway, here's the deal:

i was riding home from MA last week and reserve came on about 8 miles from my appt and i thought "ok, this is a good time to clean the tank, i'll drive it the 30 miles back and forth to teach BRC this weekend then it should be pretty empty"

well, i was right on the money, on the way back from teaching i rode past my garage, about 8 blocks up to come back down "hot girl" street and exactly 8 blocks from the garage the bike started running terribly, like it was running on one cylinder. when i was forced to stop for some people crossing the street, it died. i pulled the tank off, sloshed the remaining gas into the left side of the tank (single petcock tank) and limped the 1/4 mile or so back to the garage. there was sorta murky looking gas/water/varnish in the fuel filter.

aside from cleaning the tank, replacing the filter and maybe sending some carb cleaner through with the first tank of gas, any other recommendations? i don't want to dismantle the carbs right now..........

You might be lucky with the carbs, but you've likely ran some fine grit through the small orifices which may block them. You could just press on and see how the bike responds to a new tank of gas. But watch for poor starting, poor idling, peeing carbs, bad fuel mileage, etc. If these start to show up, you'll need to dive into the carbs.

At least now you know exactly how many gallons the tank holds!!

Hot girl street? :lurk

Have you not run it since?

I'd say dropping the bowls and screwing out the jets to check/clean them off would likely solve the problem, and be about as much work as what you already mentioned.

If Hot Girl Street truly lives up to its name, then it merits its own thread over in the Photography Forum.

Hot girl street? :lurk

Bedford Ave, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY

bedford300.jpg

and sorry, no pics, i was too busy disassembling my bike on the side of the street.:laugh

Bedford Ave, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY

bedford300.jpg

and sorry, no pics, i was too busy disassembling my bike on the side of the street.:laugh

Bubba, One of my ancestors and two others cleared the trees from what is now Brooklyn. He first came to what is now the US in 1645. Just a quick question now: What is it about the crap being sucked into your carbs that makes it suspicious looking? :)

Tim

Bubba, One of my ancestors and two others cleared the trees from what is now Brooklyn. He first came to what is now the US in 1645. Just a quick question now: What is it about the crap being sucked into your carbs that makes it suspicious looking? :)

Tim

just dark brown stuff in the fuel filter and the bike ran terribly

i went to the garage today to reinstall the petcock and what do you know! cleaning the tank put a HOLE in it! since i didn't really have access to a garden hose i couldn't do the soap/phosphoric acid thing suggested by snowbum, so i did the other thing listed there, swished dry gas around a few times, drained out the crud then let the tank sit for two days. now i got this tiny pinhole near the petcock! what did i do, yeah, i jb welded it. the tank is not in great shape and i'm planning on replacing it this winter i think. so anyway, the kid at the shop said the jb weld should hold and keep the gas from leaking. i guess we'll see, i'm going back in a few hours after the recommended 4 hr cure time. i hope it works, getting to the range where i teach the brc is a total PITA on the subway. :(

Hopefully that JBWELD fix will work for you Bubba. Being Irish my luck isn't that good however. BTW My Great Grandmother was a Vaudeville actress and lived in NoHo, not far from the NoHo Star. On a recent trip to the city we drove by the address where they lived. I love New York!

POR 15 folks have a product in their excellent product line that repairs pin holes, in addition it will recoat the obviously messed up liner that you have......GOOD LUCK......Dennis

jb weld worked!

and the carbs don't seem to be any worse for the wear. i've had the gas in the tank a little over an hour and no leak, we'll see what tomorrow morning brings.:thumb

jb weld worked!

and the carbs don't seem to be any worse for the wear. i've had the gas in the tank a little over an hour and no leak, we'll see what tomorrow morning brings.:thumb

Kudos and congratulations! I always breathe a sigh of relief and get a warm and fuzzy feeling when the bike is back on the road after maintenance; especially if there was a problem to be solved. Keep it shiny side up.

just dark brown stuff in the fuel filter and the bike ran terribly

i went to the garage today to reinstall the petcock and what do you know! cleaning the tank put a HOLE in it! since i didn't really have access to a garden hose i couldn't do the soap/phosphoric acid thing suggested by snowbum, so i did the other thing listed there, swished dry gas around a few times, drained out the crud then let the tank sit for two days. now i got this tiny pinhole near the petcock! what did i do, yeah, i jb welded it. the tank is not in great shape and i'm planning on replacing it this winter i think. so anyway, the kid at the shop said the jb weld should hold and keep the gas from leaking. i guess we'll see, i'm going back in a few hours after the recommended 4 hr cure time. i hope it works, getting to the range where i teach the brc is a total PITA on the subway. :(

You have the single petcock, just like my R65. So you end up with water, and then leaks, on the right.
No need for a new tank; I did the full POR15 treatment, and, just as the manufacturer said, it sealed the pinhole leaks!

Back