• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions wanted for NC trip

nrpetersen

Curmudgeon
We're from Minnesota riding two up on a 2005 K1200LT - motelling and/or B&B it. Our tentative goal is Asheville NC (Biltmore) via Great Smokies, Tail of the Dragon etc. Interests are country music, local informal non-chain restaurants, Seagrove for pottery, architecture, old technology such as old engines airplanes etc. We'll be near Asheville week of 29 Sep - Oct 6th. We don't think there will be enough time for eastern NC.

We've never been there - any suggestions would be appreciated!

Chalet Inn

If you are down near the Dragon for an overnight, I highly recommend the Chalet Inn. It is located in Dillsboro, about 25 miles from the Dragon. The innkeepers, George and Hanneka are great people. The inn sits on top of a mountain and it was refreshing to wake up to the sounds of nature, rather than the sounds of road noise.

As for Ashville, as I recall, you can be there in about an hour. The Biltmore is fascinating so be sure to plan at least an entire day there, if not two.

Route 40 East

When I returned to the coast after the Rally I took Route 40 toward Winston Salem. For about 10 miles out of Ashville I enjoyed the sweeping turns and light traffic. I was not the fastest vehicle but speeds were in the 80's. It was all downhill, also.
A great finish to the Rally.
Campbell Tellman II'
'93 R100RT
:thumb

The Ridgewood BBQ!!! It is legendary!! Many riders who attended the big Rally will agree.

(423) 538-7543
900 Elizabethton Hwy
Bluff City, TN
Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00-7:30 Friday & Saturday 11:00-2:30 & 4:30-8:30 Closed Sunday

The pork BBQ plate is the specialty and so are the baked beans. Two people could easily share this.

Maybe this would fit in on your way in or out???

When you complete the Dragon run and end up at the NC endpoint (where the store and gas station are), continue up Hwy 28 north towards Fontana Dam. This is a spectacular road. In the early moring, mists of cloud hover over the glass smooth river which perfectly reflects the view of the hills and trees like a mirror. Stop at the Fontana Dam visitor center and look at the dam. It will take about an hour to look at the dam and the visitor center, and it is well worth the stop.

Regards,
Robo

Chalet Inn

If you are down near the Dragon for an overnight, I highly recommend the Chalet Inn. It is located in Dillsboro, about 25 miles from the Dragon. The innkeepers, George and Hanneka are great people. The inn sits on top of a mountain and it was refreshing to wake up to the sounds of nature, rather than the sounds of road noise.

As for Ashville, as I recall, you can be there in about an hour. The Biltmore is fascinating so be sure to plan at least an entire day there, if not two.

And if you're going to be in Dillsboro -- stop by the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory -- they make a great cup of coffee and have some great confections too.

74.jpg

When you complete the Dragon run and end up at the NC endpoint (where the store and gas station are), continue up Hwy 28 north towards Fontana Dam. This is a spectacular road. In the early moring, mists of cloud hover over the glass smooth river which perfectly reflects the view of the hills and trees like a mirror. Stop at the Fontana Dam visitor center and look at the dam. It will take about an hour to look at the dam and the visitor center, and it is well worth the stop.

Regards,
Robo

Yeah this is true! What I enjoyed most was variation in air temprature. It's hot, it's hot, it's hot then you ago around a bend and it is 10 degrees cooler. Another turn and it's hot again.

FYI, there is no cell phone coverage on the dragon. But if you are on your way to the dam there is one place if you have Verizon. It is just inside the park. On the right side of the road is an overlook that has a cement stone wall. You can get a signal there but you have to stand on the wall with one leg in the air and your free hand waving wildly while your passenger takes a picture.

Ok, that last part may not be totally true but it couldn't hurt...

And don't forget the Cherohala Skyway! Every bit as beautiful as the BRP with much less traffic.

And don't forget the Cherohala Skyway! Every bit as beautiful as the BRP with much less traffic.

Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, the Dragon, and HWY 28 makes for an excellent day of riding.:thumb

And there's 441 between Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg, TN running through the Smoky Mtn National Park.

Last edited:
Although not in NC, coming from where you are, you should pass through either (or both) the Daniel Boone or Jefferson National Forest. I had a great ride there coming back from the Indy GP races. I can give you my route if you are interested and you can see some pics at:

http://www.bmwxplor.com/forums/topic/show/4286#new

I took some dirt roads that you won't want to do 2 up on an LT, but they were side roads, not part of the actual route.

Let me know.

Robo

Sounds like a great trip.
A few thoughts, thinking kinda outloud to check out for your trip planning

Penland School north of Asheville
Biltmore House in Asheville,
And then also look at Mountain heritage folk art. do a search on that with Asheville also in the search

If staying, Might consider the Balsam Inn just south of Waynesville. From that point there are days and days of riding adventures possible. Not far away you might pick a cabin from Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campgroud. The rates are great but it is camping but with a wooden roof. They have breakfast and supper on the grounds but there is a great spirit of riders/bikes there. Also those places have you a little further east than Bryson City/Fontana/Robinsonville area so you can better get to things on the eastern side of the mountains there.

Always expect rain at some point during the day in WNC. Clear days are then a delight. You are coming during the dry time of year but it is considered a temperate rainforest in that area so just treat that as FYI.

All the towns within 30 miles of those places have interesting things.

Thinking of seagrove pottery. The potters in that area are scattered about. There are some small clusterings. and others scattered within that basic area. From Waynesville it would be 3-4 hrs each way. So you would really need to plan on 2 days to go there, see stuff and then back. If you do that you might want to also check out Bob Timberlake Galleries in Lexington and take in some good pork vinegar based BBQ that the Lexington area is famous for. Also you can then stop in Spencer at the railroad museum.

There are also some good potters in and south of Asheville.

While Cherokee is a very productive tourist area, the museum there is good as well as the Qualla Artists Gallery. If there do the walk tour of the old farm just into the Smokies Mtn Park. While not a destination all by itself it is a nice respite.

There really is so much to do and take in, a week is a very short time in WNC. Still if you want to do seagrove, it would be ashame to come so far and not get to do it.

Check event calendars for the areas as they might well be a street fair, event, opening etc that would also catch your eye.

Good luck getting things narrrowed down. Also look at alternative ways to get from point A to B for your events/agenda as there are sooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo many good rides to enjoy.

Other things to do. rafting is always good, the train trip from dillsboro to murphy and back is something many enjoy. (Great Smokie Mountains Railway)

I hope this offers some help to you.
Good luck and perhaps you can give a great trip write up back here.

Stephen

Warning! Will Robinson!!!

If you are going to be in Asheville during the fall colors season and on a weekend don't make the mistake my wife and I made, don't think you can just show up and find a room. We looked from 5:30 till 1:00am and ended up sleeping in the front seat of a Toyota in the parking lot of a hotel. When I ask what is going on in town this weekend and why there are no rooms available I was told "The Fall Colors" so please make reservations for your stay in Asheville as it is hard for two to sleep on a BMW.

A bit more that I remembered on my ride into work today.
FYI just for some general ride reports, here are two I did this past winter and spring in the area. The comment and picture about NC281 and it being a gravel nc highway, that part has been paved this summer and that should make it a wonderful road to travel from US 64 to NC 107!!!

Winter ride
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=21351

spring ride
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18066

you might also want to include a ride up to Mt Mitchell.

A good thought about the crowds and room stuff that redrider made. The peak colors will be happening early october in highest elevations 5000 ft plus , mid october in lower mountain areas 2000-4000 and late october early november piedmont area. If you were wanting a room at a smaller choice place you may very well need reservations. For sure on weekend nights. You might also want to consider the pisgah inn on the blue ridge parkway.

Oh yeah.. so much to remember.... if plants be your thing, check out the NC Arboretum, just south of Asheville and the cradle of forestry near Brevard on 276

Keep us in mind with a good ride report.
NCS

Guys - I appreciate the postings & references etc and want you to know I'm still digesting & planning from them. Motel reservations will be made for sure on weekends (that need was a surprise so thanks!) & we'll be watching for deer etc. The eating and motelling & sights are now being put on our maps to see what we can put together.

Guys - I appreciate the postings & references etc and want you to know I'm still digesting & planning from them. Motel reservations will be made for sure on weekends (that need was a surprise so thanks!) & we'll be watching for deer etc. The eating and motelling & sights are now being put on our maps to see what we can put together.

There is so much to do, so much to see, and so many place to ride -- don't get overwhelmed by the choices -- just go back again and again. Have a great trip!

Full Moon,

If the nights are clear, an easy late night ride up on the parkway is wonderful under a full moon. which is 10/4. So any nights after about 10/1 would be awesome. Go late enough the moon is high, traffic mostly gone.

NCS

Back