Thread: rubber boot

rubber boot

Anyone have any tricks on getting the Driveshaft rubber boot onto the flange at the tranny? I spent a bunch time trying to do this . I've loosened the swingarm so it moves sideways, removed the battery box. Split my thumb nail to the quick.

thanks for any help, , Brian R65LS

Do you have one of those screwdrivers that has a 90 degree bend at each end? They're used to get to screws that are buried in tight places where a normal straight handled screwdriver won't work. Something like that would let you pin one side of the boot with one hand and use the other hand to hook the inside of the boot and pull it up and over.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I install the swing arm with the rubber boot mounted at the transmission side of the swing arm. I don't have the rear suspension installed so I can eailsy lift/drop the swing arm. I use a strap or bungee cord to adjust the level of the swing arm. I start with the swing arm in a slight angle pointing down at the end which makes it easy to push the lower lip of the rubber boot over the transmission part and almost 50% around. I then raise the end of the swing arm to about a straight horizontal position and with fingers and a de-sharpened screwdriver I push the upper part in place. Ah, I always do this with the clutch lever removed but battery installed.

If it's a new rubber boot I stretch the transmission side opening by hand a couple of times before I start the whole procedure.

I hope this helps.

/Guenther

VANZEN

good advice from 20774

good advice from 20774.
    if you don't have such a screwdriver – take a cheap old one and bend it !
    you now have a "special tool"
    (and in fact, even a stiff length of copper wire or such could be used to make one)

I have replaced boots after only removing the bolts at the drive-shaft U-joint
    (to allow the boot to be stuffed into place)
    then using such a tool and 20774's technique.
    Although it takes some "correct persistence"
    – it works !

I use an old Craftsman cotter pin puller with the end de-sharpened. Makes the job a snap.

My $0.03. YMMV.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

TGHSMITH
    small allen(hex) wrench in your tool kit...

warm it

In addition to the tool suggestions above, I have used a hair dryer to warm the boot and make it stretchier.

Part of the technique is to get the boot started around the "inside" flange first--the part that's hard to reach. Then it's easier to get some sort of smooth hook inside the boot and stretch it over the "outside" of the flange where you can get at it.

Yep, make a tool. Jut be sure it's well rounded so you don't punch any holes in the boot.

And, looking toward the future, I usually treat a new boot with some sort of rubber protectant to ward off ozone, etc.

pmdave