Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Very Functional Shop Tool

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Semper Fi,

Thanks. FAR more invasive than I ever thought I would need to be on this bike.

But I worked my way slowly and carefully through the disassembly- labeling and drawing what I did. I ordered (thanks Rusty @ MaxBMW) and replaced the friction plate, "O"ring and rear engine seal. Then I just re-assembled what I had taken apart.

But this has me confident that I can do just about ANYTHING on the K.

BTW- thanks again for the work stand reminder- the Duc needs them.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS4v 2009 R1200RT
    SS1000, BBG, 50CC- NYC to SF

My stands came with my bike - a garage/ driveway is a functional shop tool to me.
    Just be careful of the ABS cable on the front
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHillCTD View Post
    Semper Fi,

Thanks. FAR more invasive than I ever thought I would need to be on this bike.

But I worked my way slowly and carefully through the disassembly- labeling and drawing what I did. I ordered (thanks Rusty @ MaxBMW) and replaced the friction plate, "O"ring and rear engine seal. Then I just re-assembled what I had taken apart.

But this has me confident that I can do just about ANYTHING on the K.

BTW- thanks again for the work stand reminder- the Duc needs them.
    Fabulous!!

Two for the crew at Max!!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Yes, very neat and clean. I had to tie my front down to prevent it from rolling forward or tipping over when I hoisted the rear. Also very interesting that you were able to remove the shaft and trans as a unit. I figured one should be able to do that, and it surely would have been nicer than having to remove the huge bolts at the swing arm bearing. Was it relatively 'easy' to pull it as a unit?

Other question, back to the thread on the front stand....does a standard Ducati style rear stand work for the K12/13 rear, or does it really require a BMW specific stand?
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

K13S fyi

So, I now have my K1300S and tried my Pit Bull stand on the front. Before I got it all the way up, I could tell that the rear tire was touching and that it was going to be lifting off the center stand. Not sure if it matters but my suspension was set Two-Up w/ Luggage. So, as with my K12RS, I will be removing the rear wheel before using the front stand. This way, I will always have the necessary stability behind the articulation of the steering head. But since I will generally be using it for the purpose of replacing the tires, this simply determines the order of work.
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by perniculous View Post
    I never met a tool I didn't like!
    Oh I have. Yes indeed. Some by Buffalo come to mind.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Or Craftsman; "It maybe thick and clunky but it sure does break easily!"

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

RTRyder
    Pit bull stand looks nice, but I use a much less expensive alternative. I have a scissors jack from some now long departed car that simply slide under the front of the engine at a conveinient spot and crank it up to the desired or required height. If the rear tire hits before I get enough lift, I can put it on the platform lift and remove the rear tire drop plate with the RT on the centerstand, worked great when swapping out the front shock!

Rally Rat
    Just FYI, we have that same stand (along with several others) and it lifts the front end of my K13GT and Ducati 1098, my wife's CBR1000RR, her VFR800 and our CBR600RR track bike. That stand is truly a one size fits all tool. Well worth the money!...

Quote Originally Posted by 58058 View Post
    So, I now have my K1300S and tried my Pit Bull stand on the front. Before I got it all the way up, I could tell that the rear tire was touching and that it was going to be lifting off the center stand. Not sure if it matters but my suspension was set Two-Up w/ Luggage. So, as with my K12RS, I will be removing the rear wheel before using the front stand. This way, I will always have the necessary stability behind the articulation of the steering head. But since I will generally be using it for the purpose of replacing the tires, this simply determines the order of work.
    You can get a rear stand from Pitbul and not have to that the tire off......
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
    Pit bull stand looks nice, but I use a much less expensive alternative. I have a scissors jack from some now long departed car that simply slide under the front of the engine at a conveinient spot and crank it up to the desired or required height. If the rear tire hits before I get enough lift, I can put it on the platform lift and remove the rear tire drop plate with the RT on the centerstand, worked great when swapping out the front shock!
    For the RT - yes you can do that - on the GT you would crush the exhaust.

I used scissor jacks on my RT worked great - but this gave me a reason to buy a new tool and augment the man-fort!!
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Semper_Fi, Thanks for the reminder of the rear stand. I will get one eventually, right now, weighing the pros and cons of getting the NoMar tire removal tool. I have done my own tires for years and now that I live 200 miles from my buddie's shop and my balancer, it might be time to get my own. Unless of course there is someone in my neighborhood reading these.....

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The Pitbull stands have various ways of connecting with the bike depending on what bike you have. Fer instance, I use spools on the Vstrom, and there's a whole page of other options on the Pitbull website.

It's a great way to get one end of the bike up in the air quickly and securely.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by 58058 View Post
    Semper_Fi, Thanks for the reminder of the rear stand. I will get one eventually, right now, weighing the pros and cons of getting the NoMar tire removal tool. I have done my own tires for years and now that I live 200 miles from my buddie's shop and my balancer, it might be time to get my own. Unless of course there is someone in my neighborhood reading these.....
    tough choice - if i'd have to pick i'd go with nomar
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

NoMar tire Comp. makes a less expensive mount / unmounter called Cycle Hill
    www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/ $365 +shipping / floor mount or $79. hitch Mt.
    $555. Mounter & wheel balance + shipping. 5 yr. warranty vs. life with Nomar.
    I've used the NoMAr - older style & found it nicer.
    Joe
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753