• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Very Functional Shop Tool

Pit bull stand looks nice, but I use a much less expensive alternative. I have a scissors jack from some now long departed car that simply slide under the front of the engine at a conveinient spot and crank it up to the desired or required height. If the rear tire hits before I get enough lift, I can put it on the platform lift and remove the rear tire drop plate with the RT on the centerstand, worked great when swapping out the front shock!

Just FYI, we have that same stand (along with several others) and it lifts the front end of my K13GT and Ducati 1098, my wife's CBR1000RR, her VFR800 and our CBR600RR track bike. That stand is truly a one size fits all tool. Well worth the money!...

So, I now have my K1300S and tried my Pit Bull stand on the front. Before I got it all the way up, I could tell that the rear tire was touching and that it was going to be lifting off the center stand. Not sure if it matters but my suspension was set Two-Up w/ Luggage. So, as with my K12RS, I will be removing the rear wheel before using the front stand. This way, I will always have the necessary stability behind the articulation of the steering head. But since I will generally be using it for the purpose of replacing the tires, this simply determines the order of work.

You can get a rear stand from Pitbul and not have to that the tire off......:lurk

Pit bull stand looks nice, but I use a much less expensive alternative. I have a scissors jack from some now long departed car that simply slide under the front of the engine at a conveinient spot and crank it up to the desired or required height. If the rear tire hits before I get enough lift, I can put it on the platform lift and remove the rear tire drop plate with the RT on the centerstand, worked great when swapping out the front shock!

For the RT - yes you can do that - on the GT you would crush the exhaust.

I used scissor jacks on my RT worked great - but this gave me a reason to buy a new tool and augment the man-fort!!

Semper_Fi, Thanks for the reminder of the rear stand. I will get one eventually, right now, weighing the pros and cons of getting the NoMar tire removal tool. I have done my own tires for years and now that I live 200 miles from my buddie's shop and my balancer, it might be time to get my own. Unless of course there is someone in my neighborhood reading these.....

The Pitbull stands have various ways of connecting with the bike depending on what bike you have. Fer instance, I use spools on the Vstrom, and there's a whole page of other options on the Pitbull website.

It's a great way to get one end of the bike up in the air quickly and securely.

Semper_Fi, Thanks for the reminder of the rear stand. I will get one eventually, right now, weighing the pros and cons of getting the NoMar tire removal tool. I have done my own tires for years and now that I live 200 miles from my buddie's shop and my balancer, it might be time to get my own. Unless of course there is someone in my neighborhood reading these.....

tough choice - if i'd have to pick i'd go with nomar

NoMar tire Comp. makes a less expensive mount / unmounter called Cycle Hill
www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/ $365 +shipping / floor mount or $79. hitch Mt.
$555. Mounter & wheel balance + shipping. 5 yr. warranty vs. life with Nomar.
I've used the NoMAr - older style & found it nicer.
Joe

Got a wheel balancer already and the Classic with what I need is on sale at the moment for $495....hmmmm...maybe it will be waiting in the driveway when I get back from the cruise. :D

Got a wheel balancer already and the Classic with what I need is on sale at the moment for $495....

Got an email confirming mine shipped today! :newtoy

Should arrive just in time to swap on the new Avon Storms that are also enroute :D

Bead braking - on the ground / lower - Bread braker is steel lip or optional scatch proof blade ends. Compaired to waist ht. & scratch proof blade ends & off ground

Mounts to wall,floor or trailer hitch - only. Compaired to hitch,floor,stand.

Bolted together - compaired to some bolts & welded.

It comes down to this for me- how often am I gonna use it or share, The height of the person doing the work - table top work or working low / knee height, If you have a garage/trailer/basement space for it - city living/counrty living. Portability to move it or let it be. Age / strength of bending over & lifting or working at table top height.

Back