• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Uncomfortable Lowered RT

N

NJRider

Hi everyone! I'm new to the BMW family and recently purchased a lowered 2009 RT (low suspension and low seat). I've been riding cruisers (mostly Harleys) for 10 years and wanted to upgrade. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and felt the standard RT was too tall so I ordered the lower version. If I ride longer than 45 minutes on this bike, my back hurts from being so bent over, my knees ache from being so cramp, the seat slides me into the tank leaving me and the boys feeling overly crowded and uncomfortably warm. I've thought about handlebar risers, lowering the pegs, changing the seat or getting beads, adding highway pegs, etc. :dunno My fear is that all this trial and error takes money that I don't have. I really like the way the bike handles and all the bells and whistles it came with but the last couple of 100+ mile runs have been with the Harley just to not feel this discomfort.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. :help

Thanks!!!!!!

PS
Please donÔÇÖt suggest that I sell the Harley and buy all the parts for the Beemer. ;)

Comfort.....

I am 5'9 with 30" inseam and do not experience the same problems with a standard size RT and a lowered seat...That said, I am tempted to suggest your problem may lie with posture as I am puzzled by your comments on being pushed into the tank.... I came to the RT from a HD Ultra 3 years ago...
I have lowered the pegs and added the JPegs for long stretches on the highway, but have not felt the need to try the bar risers.
Perhaps a visit to the Dealer to discuss seating ergos might be in order ?

I am 5'9 with 30" inseam and do not experience the same problems with a standard size RT and a lowered seat...That said, I am tempted to suggest your problem may lie with posture as I am puzzled by your comments on being pushed into the tank.... I came to the RT from a HD Ultra 3 years ago...
I have lowered the pegs and added the JPegs for long stretches on the highway, but have not felt the need to try the bar risers.
Perhaps a visit to the Dealer to discuss seating ergos might be in order ?

Good suggestions. I too suspect this is more of a posture issue than ergonomics.

At just over 6' with a 32" inseam, I needed no lowered pegs or seats, though I did invest in Elf-Pegs (Sahara) and a set of bar risers (Twisted Throttle) to 'adjust' my posture and make stretching those legs on long hauls possible.

I also applied adhesive black pads to the sides of my R1200RT tank (Nippy Norman's) to grip with my knees during hard stops, to prevent sliding, though the material of your riding pants have a lot to due with the amount of friction (or lack thereof) when seated. The Joe Rocket pants currently owned and adored behave like they're been prepped with vasoline during aggressive braking.

I put 28,000+ miles on H-D RoadKings during the last seven years of my LEO career - then immediately switched to a BMW, and have been smiling ever since.

Work with your dealer to resolve the comfort issues. The bike is a keeper!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also inquiring about possibly getting a standard seat if only to raise the incline towards the tank. From what IÔÇÖve been reading, I will need to install new hardware but that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again and ride safe!

I had similar problems as you, although it's a standard suspension. Things I tried, and how much difference they made:

1) Moto-Techniques handlebar risers. Helped to be able to sit up straighter, less ache in the neck and back. For the price, a good improvement.
2) Suburban Machinery footpeg lowering kit. Helped a bit with the knees, but I think they're a bit pricy, to be honest. Still didn't cure the leg cramps completely.
3) Bolted some Kurakyn footpegs onto my Touratech engine guard. THIS was the ultimate fix for the leg cramps. I survived a full Saddlesore 1K with only minor discomfort. These allow me to sit in a more ergo-friendly position for a while at the cost of some cornering clearance. Kick 'em back up out of the way for twisties. This made all the difference in the world and the cost was less than the footpeg lowering kit (not including the engine guard, which I already had...)

I too am 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam. I have a 06 RT with standard seat and with the seat in the low position and the ESA set to one up (I only weigh 165lb) it is perfect for me. I can plant both feet flat on the ground and have plenty of room. The only thing I am going to change is the seat. I'm going to look into getting a Russel. The reason for that is the stock seat just seems to slide me forward as you state yours does also. I have engine bars and foot pegs that are quite comfortable for stretching out on long rides. Keep at it and you will find answers, I'd start with the seat if you can find a buddy with a stock seat to try. I don't believe any mods are required to switch seats.

I used to be uncomfortable on my 1150RT till I discovered a different riding posture. I lean forward at the waist, bend my elbows and rest the balls of feet on the pegs. This has been perfect. The forward lean keeps me from sliding forward. The bend in the elbows relaxes my forearms and hands making for a lighter and more controlled touch on the controls. The balls of my feet apply pressure back to counterweight my upper body. It does require more support from the core muscles in the abdominal wall (need to keep up the core-strength exercises!). From a medical perspective, if your back is sore, the fault more likely lies with a weak core muscle support.

Looking at the design of the RT, I feel the lean-forward position is a little closer to how they engineered it. I think you're working against the ergonomics by trying to sit up straighter. You can do it, but you're fighting the bike by doing so.

For leg stretching I extend my legs back and place them on the folded up passenger pegs. They're at just the right angle to rest the heel of my boot on and keep my sole flat. Very comfortable for a while to change position.

That said, I did take a test-ride on a lowered RT and it did not feel very comfortable, even attempting to use my usual posture. The seat to peg distance was too short I felt.

so your saying that a lowered bike is shorter from the pegs to the seat not the seat to the floor?

and i have a lowering shock on my RT and the only problem i find is the side stand is too long,and i have to be carefull where i park ,till i get it shortened.
any way i bought my self the sahara's and I felt as if i was leaning to far forward so went to CC machine for the handle bar extenders,and as for the seat,I have been trying a small sheep skin some thing to raise (the boys) :rofl and did a 280 mile run yester day with all the new gear and I have to say form 60 in the curves to 85 on the freeway I am excited,might have the problem fixed,still have the want for a nice new custom seat,I am just worried about the expense and then doing the ordering over the phone or web

The seat attachments are tilted forward from the factory; hence youÔÇÖre being pushed into the tank. To counter, you can take a wooden dowel and put it in the front notch you will use, then place the seat on the dowel. This will level the seat.

I had to do it on mine and it works like a charm.

Easy :german

I struggled with this as well. 6ft, 32 inch inseam. I installed bar backs, invested in a Rick Mayer saddle installed peg lowering devices, and Talons with pegs on the cylinder heads, which all helped. But I continued to feel as if the ergo's were not exactly right. I tried the posture changes described by DPeakMD, and they helped more than anything else, but they are hard to maintain all day long. Never quite got it solved. :dunno

Start w a new seat. BMW is famous for crappy seats. Get a Rick Mayer seat and start from there. I too have a 09 RT and the difference is astounding.

I got a great deal on an '08 with lowered suspension and the one-piece seat. I am close to 6 feet tall (30" inseam) and found the set-up uncomfortable. The first thing I recommend is getting rid of that seat - it is horrible. You can pick up a used front and back seat for a decent price. Check eBay and the forums. The parts needed to convert cost about $100 and are listed on the Sargeant website. Simple job - took about 10 minutes. That may solve your comfort issue and you will still be able to flat-foot the bike. I put the seat in the top position which gives you more room to the pegs. The performance and handling you get from an RT are worth a little effort to make things right.

Not sure how, with a 30 inch inseam, you can flatfoot the bike with a regular seat on there since I can't flatfoot mine with the low frame, ultralow one piece seat and a 30 inch inseam. I'm on my tippy toes!

1200 rt lowered

My wife and I just visited a BMW dealer in Seattle where we looked at the 2009 R1200RT that was lowered. My wife loved it!!!! We've been looking for another bike for her now for quite some time but have yet to come up with an acceptable option. If you can't make it work for you let me know how much you want for it....she'd love to have it.
cbcK1200S
Colin

:bikes

Bar Backs

I have the 2009 R1200RT with the lowered suspension and lowered seat and I can tell you that putting on the moto-techniques bar backs will make a big difference on your back because you're pretty much sitting upright. They will also improve your view in the stock rearview mirrors, although I added a set of RS sport mirrors to my bike because I can see better out of them and they actually look as though they were stock. I agree with the problem with the saddle and the foot pegs. I'm considering a Sargent World Sport low saddle for mine and will eventually lower the foot pegs. I'm a little hesitant on the seat because I'm 5'6'' with a 29 inseam and I really can't deal with adding another inch to the height. The other things that I've done to mine that make it easier to ride and safer are adding the enlarged shifter and the enlarged rear brake pedal. I also added the 3-M reflective tape kit to the saddlebags and top case and hooked up a set of hyperlites. I have taken this bike loaded for camping to the Color in the Catskills Rally which is about 300 miles from where I live and I can see why people love this bike for touring, I love this bike so far and I switched over from an R1200C cruiser. Don

Another solution may be to just take some rider training classes that get you, and keep you, really profficient and confident on your bike. I'm 5'-6", with a 30" inseam and I ride a 94 R1100RS, with a Corbin Rumble seat, standard height Wilbers shocks, and in the summer I use a bead seat (good for another 1"of height). I'm also a 17 MSF instructor (Hi Kevin G!), which keeps my riding skills sharp.

I have no issues with reaching the ground or any issues of comfort or confidence moving the bike around. I am so used to stopping with only my left foot to the ground that I rarely ever have both feet on the ground. When I do, I can easily get the ball of each foot to the ground, which is plenty to me.

I also do the demo rides on all the BMW models for Nick's BMW. I have not yet ridden a GS Adventure but I have ridden all the others with the stock seat heights. So some training does make a difference. Now, the GX450 enduro, with its nearly 36" seat height is DEFINITELY out of my range. I rode it recently, and I really had to plan where/when I put my foot down when I stopped.

Last edited:
Back