• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where is the engine number?

I have a 2008 K1200GT and need to find the engine number to register the bike. I have been told it is in the right side on the engine case but I can not seem to find it... I do find some very small numbers that look like a date code near the top of the clutch basket. :scratch

Can anyone tell me where the engine number is and what it should look like (size, length, font)? Also, will I be able to see it without removing any plastic?

Hint.... the K1300GT has it in a different place. If you know please post. Please no quesses, BMW NA has already made a few...

Extra points will be added for photos or diagrams.

Thank you.

Do you need the Engine number or the VIN?

It's usually the VIN.

On my 1300 GT the information is on a 2"x3" label on the throttle-side fork up under the headlight

:lurk

Do you need the Engine number or the VIN?

It's usually the VIN.

On my 1300 GT the information is on a 2"x3" label on the throttle-side fork up under the headlight

:lurk

Need to find the engine number. The state of Minnesota requires both the vin and the engine number to be documented...

ok - every state is different

Have you asked the dealer where it is specifically to facilitate finding it, if they moved it in for the model change?

Just curious, and not to distract you, since it is an '08, it has been registered before, I assume. So isn't that info on the paperwork transferred to you by either a prior owner or by a dealer? If this is the first time it is being registered, and it is NOS, isn't the proper information available on the paperwork provided by the dealer? All that info is on the paperwork that gets transferred from owner to owner out here on the left coast, but we don't need the engine number as you do.

Engine Numbers

Just curious, and not to distract you, since it is an '08, it has been registered before, I assume. So isn't that info on the paperwork transferred to you by either a prior owner or by a dealer? If this is the first time it is being registered, and it is NOS, isn't the proper information available on the paperwork provided by the dealer? All that info is on the paperwork that gets transferred from owner to owner out here on the left coast, but we don't need the engine number as you do.

I did find it and will post a photo later.

These are very good questions. Where do I begin..

1. Bike was registered in different state (state of Iowa does not keep, look at, or track of engine number) So I was told by them.

2. BMW does not keep track of engine numbers, so it is NOT on the paperwork (So they told me). Call BMW NA and ask them what your engine number is.... Heck, just ask them where it is located... You will see what I mean...

3. The dealer can not provide it because they do not have it. However SOME can show you where it is located (some have no clue) Seems like the only person this number is important to is the state in MN. (They keep track of engine swaps to protect us consumers).

4. Yes, it seems that Minnesota is one of a few states that want the engine number. The state requires it at title transfer time, but it is not printed on the title. It seems that they keep it in a secrete place so when the "next" or "new" owner registers the bike they ask them for it and check it against the one they have on file in that special place.

The location of the engine number (2008 K1200GT)

From the right side of the bike... Look up and under the frame support. Look deep to the engine block. In the distance (near the braided line) you will see the engine number. The red (pink) pencil in the attached photo is marking the frame support you should look under.

PICT0011.jpg

OK, here's a photo, since the prior post photo was removed from Photobucket.

This is from my 2008 K1200GT, looking up behind the frame support (so kinda looking forwards at a 45 degree angle). It's really not easy to see - you gotta get a light up in there and crane your head around to see all the numbers. I ended up taking a bunch of photos (this is the best).

I'm honestly not sure whether all of these numbers are necessary when entering your engine number in whatever documentation needs it...

Attachments

• 2024-04-07 16.11.02 (Large).jpg
    2024-04-07 16.11.02 (Large).jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 8

This is from my 2008 K1200GT, looking up behind the frame support (so kinda looking forwards at a 45 degree angle). It's really not easy to see - you gotta get a light up in there and crane your head around to see all the numbers. I ended up taking a bunch of photos (this is the best).

I'm honestly not sure whether all of these numbers are necessary when entering your engine number in whatever documentation needs it...
You know this is a post from 2009. He's probably sold the bike by now.

Thanks for your effort. :thumb
Welcome to the forum!
OM

Back