Thread: Oil Trail

Oil Trail

Every morning I open the barn, and coast down near the house about 75 feet.
    One evening coming home I notice a thin trail of oil. (I leave in the dark). I check the oil and it is up where is should be.
    The next evening again a trail, I don't see where it is coming from, but it seems to be the fact that I coast down 75 feet. After work, I get no tail on the pavement.

Where should I start to check for leaks?
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Wait for the weekend...let the sun come up!! You might check on the shelf below the transmission. On a recent 2-day trip on my /2, I get all the way home, push the bike into the garage and look back to see a trail of oil. After I got my breath back, I started checking. Turns out, I have a little leakage past the rear main seal and a small pool of oil had accumulated on the shelf. As I was leaning the bike towards me while pushing, that was enough to let the oil come over the side of the shelf and on to the ground.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Similar problem

I had a similar problem. I could see the trail, and the bike would also leave it's "mark" when parked, but I couldn't find the source.

Mine turned out to be coming from the bottom of the oil filter cover. I finally saw it one day on start up. The 3 bolts on the cover were as snug as they needed to be, but the o ring seal had become flattened over the years. I changed oil and filter on the bike, replaced the white rubber o ring and metal flat washer with new ones, and the problem is solved.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    The 3 bolts on the cover were as snug as they needed to be, but the o ring seal had become flattened over the years. I changed oil and filter on the bike, replaced the white rubber o ring and metal flat washer with new ones, and the problem is solved.
    Brad -

In recent oil filter changes, I have gone to using a gasket under the cover, which would help prevent slight leaks like yours. I determined I needed the gasket because on my /7, the internal filter canister was set less than 3mm down from the outside edge of the case. Without the gasket, the o-ring was getting crushed too much and I was having to tighten the cover bolts just a bit too much...a potential striping situation.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Brad -

In recent oil filter changes, I have gone to using a gasket under the cover, which would help prevent slight leaks like yours. I determined I needed the gasket because on my /7, the internal filter canister was set less than 3mm down from the outside edge of the case. Without the gasket, the o-ring was getting crushed too much and I was having to tighten the cover bolts just a bit too much...a potential striping situation.
    Many thanks. I try to be careful when I tighten ANYTHING on a '77 to make sure I don't strip it. Do you just make the gaskets, or are they available?
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    Do you just make the gaskets, or are they available?
    They're available from BMW...I just bought one...thought I had my receipt around but can't find it. The part number is 11 42 1 338 600.

Use of the gasket should only be considered if the outboard edge of the oil filter canister is less than 3mm from the outside of the engine case. These canisters were supposed to be installed at a nominal depth of 3 maybe 3.5mm. If less than 3mm, the large white o-ring can be crushed too much possibly resulting in it splitting and thus not sealing properly. If more than 3.5mm, the o-ring might not be compressed enough, allow a reduction pressure and leakage of oil back into the sump and not through the filter. If less than 3mm, the gasket is usually required. If more than 3.5mm or approach 4mm, then multiple shims are needed.

Anton has all the information on his website:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/

Oil change

I will start with a oil change, and the check other gaskets. I think I am going to sell my R100rt soon, I have a line on one with less mileage. So I want it to be ready for the next owner to not have any issues.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women