• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil pressure switch/light

B

BUBBAZANETTI

before i go digging too deep..................

got on the bike yesterday morning, rode about 30 miles, stopped and got some gas. when i turned the bike back on, i got the usual gen light, but no oil light. no oil light with the bike not running indicates to me bad switch or bad light. i started up and rode off, back to my fiancee's parents. last night, i left western ma for the city and when i turned the key on, the light was intermittent. started up, rode 150 miles home, no problem. when i got to NYC, i turned the bike off, then for the hell of it, back on and the light was just fine.

so i'm guessing intermittent bulb or switch?

BUT, before i go assuming, could a blocked breather cause a pressure situation in the engine that would cause the light to remain off, even with the bike shut down? the only reason i ask is because i noticed a very minor weep at the base of one of the cylinders that wasn't there before and some more than usual weeping from the oil pan gasket (replacing next week). both these made me think "excessive internal pressure".

but i could just be over-reacting.

I would sure expect the light to be on with key turned on but engine off. You could confirm that the circuit works by grounding the plug that attaches to the switch at the side of the engine. With key turned on, the light should come on. Try wiggling things around, checking for any opens in the wire. Could just be the switch.

Those switches are crap. Before doing anything more exotic, check the power to the switch, then spend the <$10 to replace it.

There shouldn't be enouhg internal crankcase pressure to trigger oil lite into the open(off) position. I think even seal and orfice would be spewing oil long before enough pressure would build to pressure switch. The switches used in German engines are very suspect! VW, Bmw and MB plus some swedish use the same crappy switches, usually made by VDO.

Back