• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

You think you know your states?

96%, 6 miles, 270sec.

If you do it more than once, the states come at you in a different order.

96%, 5 miles, 331 sec. I wonder if it randomises? The comment about Oklahoma didn't apply for me, as all the surrounding states were in place already. it started me with Utah and finished with South Carolina.

It must because Utah and S. Carolina were among the last ones I placed.

Yeah I spent a fair amount of time getting all fiddly and lining them up precisely.

I agree. The first ten states or so I wasn't very careful at where I placed them. I initially thought close enough would be sufficient, but I was wrong. I then slowed things down a bit toward the end.

It seems that 'wrong' kicks in at around 60 miles of error. On the larger states with no already-established boundaries, that ain't much. The sequence definitely is randomized each time.

I did it a few times. Every time they change the order.
One time I dropped Rhode Island, it took me a couple of minutes to find it.

560 sec, 305 miles error and 30% correct. My 3 yr old has taken a liking to the game,
but he just plops the state in the middle then puts it on the red outline. When he
finishes he shouts "I won!"

Here's a different conundrum.

Let's say that you want to ride a tour through each of the 48 contiguous states.

You can only pass through each state once.

If you start in Minnesota, where will you finish?

I planned this a couple of times in different ways. Danged if I can find the computer file with the route. IIRC the answer was WI.

The first option was doing the lower 48 as you described with the Official Lilydale Station as the starting point. I went in a generally counter clockwise direction and ended up in WI.

The second version was to do all the lower 48 on that one I know my last stop was Madison before crossing back into Minnesota to get back to the Official Lilydale Gas Station.

:lurk

edit:
oops - I have slept since this post. My plans were for a circle route and did not strictly follow your one entrance to a state criteria. My new answer is Maine (maybe, do I have a life line or must this be my final answer?)

No... It's not... But is in a State of Confusion, no? :dunno

DC is an artificial creation. Confusion may exist there but I would argue it is more accurately described as a state of mind and the State of Confusion exists outside the Beltway.
:ha

Last edited:
100% 0 miles error, 10 seconds. :dance Beat that! :laugh:laugh

Where's my stick, I'll beat that :rofl

560 sec, 305 miles error and 30% correct. My 3 yr old has taken a liking to the game,
but he just plops the state in the middle then puts it on the red outline. When he
finishes he shouts "I won!"

Your 3 year old is the most sensible of all of us.:laugh

I planned this a couple of times in different ways. Danged if I can find the computer file with the route. IIRC the answer was WI.

The first option was doing the lower 48 as you described with the Official Lilydale Station as the starting point. I went in a generally counter clockwise direction and ended up in WI.

The second version was to do all the lower 48 on that one I know my last stop was Madison before crossing back into Minnesota to get back to the Official Lilydale Gas Station.

:lurk

edit:
oops - I have slept since this post. My plans were for a circle route and did not strictly follow your one entrance to a state criteria. My new answer is Maine (maybe, do I have a life line or must this be my final answer?)

Maine is indeed correct. The starting point of Minnesota that I threw out (or ANY starting point other than Maine for that matter) is the red herring to confuse you. When you get right down to it, if you can only visit each state once then you have no choice but to finish in Maine since it only borders one other state.

92% 56 MILES 319 SEC - 1st time

86% 28 miles 320 sec - 2nd time - they come in different order!
Not bad for a Canajun eh?:dance

been to all of them

90%, 19 miles, 425 secs, 45 perfect.

Not bad for a foreigner. Even all the ones I got "wrong" overlapped the correct location by at least 80%.

92%, 9 miles, 303 seconds. Trying to place NV without other states around it was the biggest "miss" on my part.

Bud you are an evil man. This is taking the place of solitaire as a way to kill time when there is nothing to do at work.
:ha

Back