• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1150rt purchase advice please

O

Osm3um

Thanks to everyone, bought the 1150 and am looking forward to becoming more active on this board!
Bob

I know, I know, another "Am I making the correct decision thread". Having said that:

I am looking at a 2004 1150rt, 55,000 miles for $8000 (ish). It is at a dealer and I will be trading in a 2005 Dakar.

The RT has Ohlins shocks but not much else for 3rd party stuff.

The dealer has shown me the inspection report and the few things that were found have been fixed before they put it on the floor. Nothing was major.

Is there anything that I should ask for to complete the sale?
Any items I should have them inspect that may have been missed?
Any maintenance/parts replacement I should have them perform before I drive away?
etc.

I can purchase an extended warranty for $830 (ish) for two years and was thinking that might wise.

Thanks, I dislike these sort of posts, but I do appreciate any advice.
Bob

Last edited:
2004 r1150rt

Judging by the time of your post, you can't sleep for thinking about this deal! The price seems right considering the Ohlins which is arguably the most important upgrade for this bike if you plan to ride hard and long. I guess the two things that always come up are FD failure and transmission input shaft spline wear. Put her up on the center stand, grab the rear wheel at 9:00 - 3:00 and make sure there is no axial play. Repeat at 12:00 - 6:00. If you detect any wiggle, have the dealer check it out before you write the check. Spline wear and failure has been reported less frequently. Smooth clutch operation and easy shifting are signs the splines are OK for now. I like the servo-boosted ABS on my '04 but some complain. They take some getting used to. I think the 2 year warranty is worth the money.

Check to see if the clutch slave cylinder has been replaced recently and if not, see if the dealer might be willing to do that as part of the deal. At 55k miles it is near the end of its useful life and the seals will start to leak pretty soon. Parts are around $100 and it is not a big job but if you don't catch it right away the fluid will soil the clutch and at that point it becomes a very big job.

The extended warranty sounds like a wise thing.

John

These things are exactly the info I was looking for!

I am a night owl, and an early morning person, as witnessed by this post.

Thank you a LOT,
Bob

I recently went through the same process that you are going through. I was buying a new bike due to the loss of my R1100RT in a freak non-driving incident.

Anyway, I test drove two 1150's (2002 - 36K and 2004 - 22K). Both bikes were very nice and similar to my 1100 as far as look, ride and performance. Then I test drove a 2005 R1200RT with 22K. Let me tell you that the 1200 is a completly different bike. (Lighter, stronger, more quiet, smoother transmission). I love the on-board computer and true cruise control. Side and top boxes are a little bigger and provide that extra space for helmet storage. I purchased the 1200 and love it. Plan on keeping it for a while.

Do yourself a favor and test drive the 1200. A 2005 should only be a couple thousand more than the 2004 and well worth the difference.

Good luck!

Do yourself a favor and test drive the 1200. A 2005 should only be a couple thousand more than the 2004 and well worth the difference.

Good luck!

Primary issue I am having is selling the Dakar. Trading it in would be much easier and none of the dealers have any used 1200RTs.

There must be something about the 1150RT that people like more than the 1200RT. As there are a number of them around still, they seem to be selling well and the 2009 iron butt seems to be (as I recall) Seven 1200RTs and four 1150RTs.

Thanks,
Bob

One of the major items that makes the 04 popular is the styling. The 05's went with a very angular style for the tupperware where the 04's are more smooth and rounded. The 05 has one thing that I like and that is the lack of integrated brakes.

"Trading it in would be much easier and none of the dealers have any used 1200RTs."

True that the 1200s are hard to find at dealers. My conclusion was if there are so few 1200s they must be worth hanging onto...or...BMW has not put out an upgrade in a while and folks have no reason to trade.

There are some 12000s out there at the dealers if you are willing to take your time and don't mind traveling abit to pick it up. Look at the dealers in Florida, they seem to have few from time to time and they'll come pick you up at the airport.

Thanks to evreyone, bought the 1150 and am looking forward to becoming more active on this board!
Bob

Back