Thread: Valve cover gaskets????

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Question Valve cover gaskets????

Dear techies & gurus...............

Need to replace my VC gaskets, after valve adj/check......what is convention for new gaskets......printed side against head or cover????

TIA
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Frederik" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh

Snowbum's page on oil pan gaskets says that the writing side has heat-activated glue on it. Thus it should go towards the heat source. So, that would mean that the writing will be hidden once installed. I'm guessing that would apply to the valve cover gasket as well.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

keelerb
    I've had better luck with the "Real Gaskets" silicone ones. Last valve check I finally tore one of my original gaskets. Long story short, after much experimentation I could only get it to stop leaking by using TWO OEM gaskets and a bit of Yamabond! One silicone gasket replaced that whole mess and no more leaks.

I had a similar experience on my Commando. OEM gaskets a PITA, silicone ones a joy.

You may not need to go this route, but just so you're aware of it.

mmmalmberg
    I've never had a problem with the OEM valve cover gaskets. They have a smooth side that looks maybe graphite-impregnated? that I put facing out. I think long ago I may have had some that were the same on both sides. Anyway, the important thing is to clean all the oil off the outward-facing side, after a valve adjustment. If you put them back together clean they seldom stick. If your valve covers and heads aren't warped, they should work just fine.

I guess it's luck of the draw, but I've owned probably 10 or 12 BMW's over the past 35 years and the only one that I had any trouble with at all was my first, a /2, and that was because one of the valve covers was slightly warped. But even that would tighten down and seal, just not as easily as all the others.

They'll only go on one way.

mmmalmberg
    True.

Meant to add, clean the oil off both the gasket -and- the valve cover mating surface....don't crank things down too tight, just snug it up.

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

addendum

uh...gents....just to clarify.......the gaskets usually have a side with printing on it, the other side no- printing.......actually they can be put on either way, except ofcourse right becomes left, and left becomes right.....
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Frederik" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh