Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tires

seniorasi

Tires

Would anyone like to comment on the tube vs tubeless tire designs for Airheads? I need new skins on the RT. Avon Road Riders, Kendas, etc., all seem to be designed for tubeless applications. Which leaves me with the Dunlop 404's. Any suggestions, comments are appreciated.

The wheels on your 83 are not designed for tubeless tires- not recommended at all!
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Ambassador
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............ain't how I got here......

VANZEN

not entirely true

Quote Originally Posted by beemerPhil View Post
    The wheels on your 83 are not designed for tubeless tires- not recommended at all!
    not entirely true ...

No 1983 (corrected) Type-247 WHEEL is designed for tubeless use. TRUE THAT !

However, most tubeless tires ARE designed to, and can be used WITH a tube,
    and any of these that fits your rims MAY be a viable option.
    Last edited by vanzen; 08-24-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: correction

seniorasi
    Re-phrased: I'd like to put Avon Road Riders on my 1983 R100RT. The clerk stated that ARR's are a tubeless designed tire and manufacturers of tubeless tires do not recommend putting tubes in them. You can imagine my surprise since virtually all the tires I've seen discussed in the many forums have tubes placed in tubeless designed tires unless there is something I've been missing. Hence the thread and the query. Can I safely run an Avon Road Rider with a tube in it on my stock snowflake rims in your opinion?

i have Avon Road Riders on two of my Airheads - with tubes. No problems. they work quite well.
    They may be discouraging the tubes, as it is more work for them if you are doing a free or flat rate mounting at that shop, since it is more work for them.
    When i get overquestioned about putting tubes in mine, I tell them just do it.

seniorasi
    Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    i have Avon Road Riders on two of my Airheads - with tubes. No problems. they work quite well.
    They may be discouraging the tubes, as it is more work for them if you are doing a free or flat rate mounting at that shop, since it is more work for them.
    When i get overquestioned about putting tubes in mine, I tell them just do it.
    Thanks for the comments. That puts my mind a bit more at ease. How do they handle in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
    Thanks for the comments. That puts my mind a bit more at ease. How do they handle in the rain?
    better than Kenda's or Bridgestones, IMHO

+1 to Vanzen above- semantics, maybe, but all the "tubeless" tires I've ever seen can be used with a tube also, at least within normal street-use conditions. What I meant to say in my earlier post was that no wheels that ever came on an '83 airhead were safe to use without tubes.

A dealer would advise following the mfg's recommendations as a natural reflex- his liability coverage is expensive enough already!
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Ambassador
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............ain't how I got here......

mmmalmberg
    I have heard the inner surfacing of tubeless tires wasn't designed to be nice to tubes, but I have no idea if this is true since I've not mounted tires since everything went tubeless and I no longer know what the inside of a tire looks like

The Avon Road Riders can be used with tubes, or tubeless. They come new on Triumph Bonnevilles that use tubes. No problemo with them. There ARE some big fat radials with weird ribs on the inside and you probably could not use them with tubes, but there probably are no tube type OEM bikes that could fit them. You have absolutely no problem with Avon Road Riders and tubes.

seniorasi

Post from another forum

Tim,

During my pre-flight check this morning I noticed some instructions molded
    into my Avon Roadriders that I've never noticed before. Right under the word
    "Tubeless" on the sidewall, is the phrase "If Fitted to a Tube Type Rim Fit
    A Tube"

Darrin
    Jacksonville FL
    '77 RS, wire wheels

Avon Road Riders are definitely in my future. Many thanks to those who contributed opinions and comments. I appreciate the effort and information.
    Last edited by seniorasi; 08-23-2009 at 02:03 AM.

VANZEN

semantics

Quote Originally Posted by beemerPhil View Post
    ... all the "tubeless" tires I've ever seen can be used with a tube also, at least within normal street-use conditions ... no wheels that ever came on an '83 airhead were safe to use without tubes ...
    Yes, just semantics, and sorry for nit-picking ...
    I've read many of your postings, beemerPhil, and know that you understand the situation.

IF the words:
    "If Fitted to a Tube Type Rim Fit A Tube"
    are, in fact, on the sidewall ΤΗτ
    get the tires on the rims, give 'em a good balance ... and commence to wear them out !
    That clerk is feeding you a line of ... ignorance or laziness.

Typically, when using a tube in a tubeless design tire
    it is recd. to downgrade the speed rating by 1 letter.
    i.e. if it says "H" (130 mph) on the sidewall,
    consider "U"(124 mph) as the performance maximum with a tube.
    (as a function of the increased HEAT that a tube will generate)

If not mistaken, there are radial tubeless tires on the market now
    that are NOT intended for use with a tube
    typically, these will not be available in sizes to fit the old "tube-type" Type-247s.

If you ever expect to do a roadside patch or tube replacement never use a
    tubless tire on a tube wheel - near impossible to lever off and reset bead
    with hand levers and ordinary muscle.

If you are not concerned about a ride in a pickup bed to the shop for a
    simple nail or cardboard staple flat then go ahead with your tubless tire.

keelerb
    Do they even MAKE tube-only tires anymore? I've certainly not seen one lately.

We have 12 M/C wheels in our garage, and only three of those take tubeless tires W/O tubes. Wouldn't even occur to me to look for a "tube" tire for any of the others. You buy a good tire, you put in a good new tube (or valve) and rim strap. Balance and go. Next bike...!

seniorasi
    Quote Originally Posted by keelerb View Post
    Do they even MAKE tube-only tires anymore? I've certainly not seen one lately.

We have 12 M/C wheels in our garage, and only three of those take tubeless tires W/O tubes. Wouldn't even occur to me to look for a "tube" tire for any of the others. You buy a good tire, you put in a good new tube (or valve) and rim strap. Balance and go. Next bike...!
    Dunlop 404's fall into the tube only category and believe they are still available. I have heard wonderful things about the Road Riders and am going to try them.