• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I CAN NOT get my BMW ZUMO 550 to read the MP3 on the SD card - HELP!

kuznetzow

I feel that I have exhausted all attempts to get music on my Zumo. It is VERY frustrating. I finally broke down and bought software to convert my music to MP3 (from the Windows media player). Mind you, these are not purchased Itunes music (those are protected and even after running them though the ripper, you still can't get them into a compatable MP3 version). These are my CDs. I converted them to MP3, saved them to the SD card but when I put the card into the ZUMO, nothing! I can see all the music on the card when it's plugged into the SD card reader on the PC but the Garmin won't recognize it. My GPS is about to take a fast and short trip out the window soon. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I am NOT doing that I should be? Is there hope?

I know it can be done (I know guys with the same unit and they have their own music on there) but I feel as thought I've done everything I can. Why is this not working for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

e-mail: davidkuz67@sbcglobal.net

I'm not sure I can help. I have the 550 and have put as many as 600 mp3's on my 8 gig SD card with no problems. So start here first.

1) Confirm by using windows explorer that the files are on the SD card.
2) The files do not need to be in any special folder, just put them on the card. I assume you put these files on the card while it was in your computer, not in the Garmin. If not, try doing so. You don't need the Garmin to put the files on the SD card.

3) Next, put a picture on the SD card. This is so we can see if the Zumo is reading the card.

4) Now put the card back in the Zumo and let me know what process you go thru in trying to get the zumo to read the card and find the music.

It should pick them right up. Mine even shows the album art that is associated with each song.

This might help:

The files must be .mp3 format - it may hang up on mp4, wav or other file types.

Ensure that the files (on the card) play on your desk/laptop. There may be ripping/burning/translation incompatabilities.

On my Zumo, I have issues using an 8 gb card - it will play sometimes - No problems with a 4 gb card.

Also, I hear that the device will only recognize 1000 files, and I'm not sure what happens if you exceed that.

When all else fails - go to Zumoforums

:type

MP3s on SD in Zumo

I think that MP3s have to be in a directory called "MP3" in the root directory of the SD card. Otherwise, the Zumo OS might not find them. They must have .mp3 as their suffix. (And the Zumo will only play mp3 files; nothing else.)

Also, consider asking that question of the Zumo Forum - they probably have a FAQ on this issue. http://garminzumo.wikispaces.com/FAQ#toc7

Zumo Forum also has a regular Forum. I think you have to register, but it's free, and has a good searchable index. I have had no regrets being a member.

Jim

Zumo 550 MP3 issues

I read on another site that having all of your music in one folder on the SD card is also problematic. You may want to try separating the music into subfolders on your SD card, like how iTunes does. Somehow, it is easier for the Zumo to process many smaller folders, than one folder with several gigabytes of music.

I think it's not that the Zumo isn't reading the music, it's just taking forever to process all of the Meta data.

Try removing all but a dozen or fewer songs and see if it works then. You may also want to get a faster SD card, particularly if you're using a card > 2GB. Find a card that's at least a Class 6 if not Class 10. You'll notice a funny looking 4 or 6 (or other number) with a C around it on the SD card. If it doesn't have one, it's probably not a very good quality card and should be replaced.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I read on another site that having all of your music in one folder on the SD card is also problematic. You may want to try separating the music into subfolders on your SD card, like how iTunes does. Somehow, it is easier for the Zumo to process many smaller folders, than one folder with several gigabytes of music.

I think it's not that the Zumo isn't reading the music, it's just taking forever to process all of the Meta data.

Try removing all but a dozen or fewer songs and see if it works then. You may also want to get a faster SD card, particularly if you're using a card > 2GB. Find a card that's at least a Class 6 if not Class 10. You'll notice a funny looking 4 or 6 (or other number) with a C around it on the SD card. If it doesn't have one, it's probably not a very good quality card and should be replaced.

Good luck!

Hi there KeegsRT, Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have dug up an old but relevant posting. Somehow this was left in the Regional Midwest part of the forum and it's really a Gear item So...I will move it over for a larger audience. Enjoy the forum, Gary

I would bet money its your SD card... if its a micro SD, the Zumo will only read the older generation (read smaller size) memory cards. If the one you are using is a high capacity card (micro SD HC) it probably wont work... I have to use an 8GB or smaller in my zumo 660 I believe...

Greeting All
The loading time from SD has been my trouble. The SD card loads first the the maps, this can take a long time. I gave up. Plug your IPOD into the headset and use the bluetooth for directions. I love the sound of the RT boxer and ride by 550 zumo visual only. Jet is IPOD connected and has no troubles, she also helps with the steering and braking. She treats has if I am barrel racing pony. Oh the troubles I have.:laugh
Tony

Greeting All
The loading time from SD has been my trouble.

The 550 series would take forever (up to ten minutes) to load the MP3 directory (8GB class 6 card), but splitting the files into 5 or 6 folders cut the load time to 2 or 3 minutes.

The 660/665 has a much faster processor. Using a 16GB class 10 card, you still should break it into 5 or 6 folders to cut load time. I have 1700+ songs on this card and it takes about a minute to load the directory with about 300 songs per folder.

Back