• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for roads and sites NY, VT, NH, Maine

Bikaholic51

Electric Kaiser
Sue and I are heading to Arcadia Park, Maine from Chicago. we will be camping and Moteling it. Any recommendations on places to visit and roads to ride would be greatly appreciated. We have two weeks. Wooo Hoooo!!!!! Last two week trip took us to Glacier National Banff and Jasper Canada. That was 8 years. Getting older so it is time to hit the road. Roads, points of interest, campgrounds, inexpensive motels and must see places from some locals would help the planning. We are heading out the first two weeks in Oct so the colors should be good.

The Catskills have excellent roads both scenic and twisty/sweeper. State route 30 which runs from East Branch from NYS rte 17 all the way to the Adirondacks is a great road passing thru the mountains and along many reservoirs and scenic views. You can also detour off of rte 30 and head to Minnewaska state park on rte 55 and 55a for some excellent scenery. Rte 23 from Grand Gorge will bring you to Hunter NY where the Color in the Catskills Rally is in October and Katterskill Falls in Tannersville and then you can take rte 214 to Phoenicia then rte 212 to Woodstock.

Make your way to state rte 66 from Hudson NY to Troy and stop in at Max BMW, great people, then rte 7 east will take you to Bennington VT with their Moose Fest. Life size moose around town all decorated.

You might also consider the Mohawk Trail from from Williamstown Mass. along rte 2. You can ride up Mt Greylock then head east then north along many great roads heading into Vermont or New Hamphshire

Sue and I are heading to Arcadia Park, Maine from Chicago.

Better make that Acadia. :D

3840629701_9b03aa70f9.jpg

My recommendation for a cheap and clean motel on MDI is The Colony in Hull's Cove (Bar Harbor). Get a motel room rather than a cottage and you can park your bike under the overhang.

Rt 30 across the top of the Catskill Park is nice, leads you toward VT. PA roads are ok if your on a GS, a bunch of potholes..........

Better make that Acadia. :D

3840629701_9b03aa70f9.jpg

My recommendation for a cheap and clean motel on MDI is The Colony in Hull's Cove (Bar Harbor). Get a motel room rather than a cottage and you can park your bike under the overhang.

Acadia? Arcadia? Just as long as it is out of Illinois. LOL :dance

NH and Maine

In New Hampshire I'd definitely recommend some riding around the White Mountain National Forest and Route 112 known as The Kancamagus Highway. I'd also go through Franconia Notch, Pinkham Notch and Evans Notch while you're there. A trip around the backside of the Presidential Range is pretty too and if you are particularly interested in a long view, ride to the top of Mt. Washington and if it's a clear day, you'll be able to see a long, long, way. The weather station and all the pictures and sights up there are pretty cool too. In Maine a ride through the Rangely Lakes Region is great, if you have time a ride up around Moosehead Lake is really nice too. The rocky coast of Maine is really nice too if you go up through the mid-coast area and go along the ocean. If you are going to Acadia you'll probably see some of that anyway. Enjoy your trip! Don

Welcome to MotorcycleRoads.US your one-stop resource for great motorcycle roads in the US™ since 2003. Our mission is to provide a listing of some of the best motorcycle roads you can ride. Emphasis is placed on 'two-lane blacktop' and the road less traveled, however, some Interstate, other limited-access highways, and roads in urban areas are listed.

MotorcycleRoads.US features:

* Over 2500 roads in all 50 states!

Check out their recommendations by clicking here

Ditto Beemeup for NH,
VT- App. Gap. area - Warren - Mt. Abraham anything around Rt100 & Rt.7,
Mt. Snow/Stratton Mt. area, Take ferry from Ticonderoga from NY to VT.
NY - Anything in the Adirondack Mts. -28/3/30/8/73
Just watchout for leaves,deer & moose ! Bring warm gear - we got frost too.
Enjoy

Back