• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for a Recommendation

westhautianplen

Does anyone have any scenic favorite routes through Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming from East to West two lane preferred?

I am looking at a ride mid September to Vernal UT from Terre Haute, IN --- then South down 191 to the bottom of AZ then back home.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

A couple of years ago, following the National in Wis., we followed US 30 from Ill across Iowa and Neb. The orginal Lincoln Hwy. Interesting ride, took all day to cross Iowa and another all day to cross Neb.

There remains some original parts of the hwy, bridges, markers, etc. Good road, and in Neb follows along the UP RR. In western Nb, you will end up dropping down onto I-80 for a short ways.

In Colorado, you have many choices. US 50 is good and most of the motorhome traffic should be gone. Further north, hwy 14 out of the Ft. Collins area runs north of Rocky Mtn Nat park and is a great ride. Takes you close to Steamboat Springs. You can then drop down to US 40 and follow to Vernal.

A couple of years ago, following the National in Wis., we followed US 30 from Ill across Iowa and Neb. The orginal Lincoln Hwy. Interesting ride, took all day to cross Iowa and another all day to cross Neb.

There remains some original parts of the hwy, bridges, markers, etc. Good road, and in Neb follows along the UP RR. In western Nb, you will end up dropping down onto I-80 for a short ways.

In Colorado, you have many choices. US 50 is good and most of the motorhome traffic should be gone. Further north, hwy 14 out of the Ft. Collins area runs north of Rocky Mtn Nat park and is a great ride. Takes you close to Steamboat Springs. You can then drop down to US 40 and follow to Vernal.

Thanks Advenbob,
I have another question, have you ever taken Hwy 2 from grand island west?

Thanks Advenbob,
I have another question, have you ever taken Hwy 2 from grand island west?

I've ridden Hwy 2 across NE twice; West to East. Its a nice ride through some really empty country. Gas stops are not a problem. Watch your speed as you approach Alliance, NE. DAMHIK

Tom

Nice road through central Wyoming.

This is the best (only really) road through central Wyoming, but some of it is spectacular. Especially at the western end as you approach the Grand Tetons.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 54
Do not think I ever traversed on Hwy 2 in Neb. Always in a hurry to get either east or west, so on I-80 most of the time.

Out of Ogallala, you can head northwest on US 26 to Scottsbluff, which follows the Oregon trail. At Scottsbluff, there is a NP that is very interesting, and you can stand in/on some of the original wheel ruts. Going further up the road into Wy, you continue to follow the Oregon Trail and at you will pass near Ft. Laraime that is worth a stop, and futher on into Gurnsey, where you will find some deep wheel ruts in the rock, along with signature hill.

The route across Wy posted by Greg is a great one, and if you are in the area, a do not miss item. The ride between Thermopolis and Shoshoni is not to be missed, and you could check out Hells 1/2 Acre on 20/26. From Dubois to Grand Tetons NP is also a great ride. Watch for Moose.

bob

Back