• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are your procedures for tying down your RT for transport

R

rbolton

Here's a new question:

How do you strap down your RT for transport? Let's say you're taking the ferry across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin - and beyond - to avoid the Chicago traffic nightmare, for example. What are the best-tie down points on the bike. Descriptions would be great; pictures would be better.

Thanks

Depends on which ferry. On the Badger you park on the sidestand and just throw a strap (supplied) over the seat - it's a big slow mover. Bring a small piece of wood/footprint as the deck is steel grid with holes.

The Lake Express can get rough and generally requires several straps (supplied) - the deck is slick and floor cleat locations pretty much dictate where you can attach, especially if you get stuck in the forward hold. You don't need to reef it down like you would on a trailer, just keep it from rolling/sliding around.

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/Tiedown2.pdf

Assuming four tie-downs; at the front forks above the fender and at the rear on the frame behind the bags. Be careful of rubbing against the side cases depending on the angle.

With the bike on the sidestand secure the front right first to get it upright, then left front to counter, then the rear to keep it from moving forward. The rear will compress a bit but that's normal. The front of the bike can ride up and down on the suspension but with the forks secure it's fine. Just don't tie to the handlebars.

Remove rear ties first, extend sidestand, loosen front-right tie-down to slowly settle on sidestand.

Thanks All,

I'm new to the this forum - with a new RT purchased last week. I didn't look at the Clubhouse section before I posted - that thread tells me all I need to know.

For anyone traveling to and through Michigan on your way out West, I'd recommend the Badger ferry - like dpspeer says, it's a slow mover, but it's fun and a great comfort to sit out in the sun on deck for a few hours knowing that you have avoided Chicago traffic and cut a few hours off your trip.

Best.

Back