• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rough Idle

radrider

RadRider
Does my RT have a problem or is it the boxer engine "hiccup"?

I have a 2005 R1200RT with 17,000 miles and have really enjoyed it. My last trip was a three week 5320 mile tour including the MOA and RA rallies. Other than 1 qt oil consumption and nearly overheating at the MOA ERC course, it performed beautifully. However, I continue to be bothered by the rough idle with occasional "skipped beats", "hiccups" or misfire I feel when cold and after a long ride.

Do I have a problem or is this the "character" of the boxer engine?

:help

JoeRadMan
2005 R1200RT

Check the vac. hose on the left side. We have a couple that has this happen where the vac. hose comes lose. Rough idle and back firing etc.........put the vac hose back on fixed. If you need a picture let me know.

The bike has had this occasional hiccup since I bought it in 2005. Not really changed since 2005 and techs have not been impressed. Has had all services per schedule with last 12000 mile major service and inspection at dealer last month. I have accepted this as the normal "rough character" of the boxer engine. I recently demo'd the K1300GT and I am probably more sensitized to the vibration and hiccups of the boxer compared to the K engine. Thanks for the advice!

JoeRadMan
05 R1200RT

My 09 will show a bump at idle every once in a while, feels as you describe. Valves and TB sync are dead nuts on. No codes set, no warning lights. Doesn't bother me and the bike runs great so I write it off as character.

Plugs too;

You can change all 4 of them, but they usually last a very long time, with these new engines. My idle does the same thing, since new and I know its spot on, as I do the service myself. Sometimes a simple plug change out will get r done nicely. Once you learn the TB synch process, its a cakewalk at keeping them in synch and not needed very often, once there, I've found with mine. I did the cannister ectomy on my GSA too so the vacume lines are kind a re routed and/or discontinued. That charcoal cannister can be a pain in the rear and needs to be bypassed, if you've not done it already. KEEP IT, however, for emmisions laws may change and inspections and so forth may be coming down the pike:(. Randy

Back